Jeep JKU, Awning without a roof rack

• HTML tutorial

GrnRubi

Rank 0

Traveler I

Montana
Im looking for some smart people to help with mounting a 270-degree awning sans the roof rack. Im not sure if the 270 is going to be possible but I thought I would ask to see if anyone has come up with ideas. At first thought, I was thinking about using the gutters and fabbing something to connect the awning to but not sure that will be strong enough...Just thought I would reach out to see if anyone had some ideas

Reactions: MazeVX

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I would take a closer look at the rhino rack backbone system, if you only install the backbone and the brackets on the side of the awning you can mount the awning directly onto the brackets or tabs or whatever its called... Just look at it and you will know

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

@GrnRubi, take a look at how I did my awning. Yes it’s a roof rack, but the old fashioned gutter mount Thule system-no drilling or modding of the hardtop. Works like a champ, and is not too pricey, plus you can use the rack for a host of other things-kayak, bike, ski, etc.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I meant to post more info on this earlier, but was posting from my phone. Sorry about that:)

It's the Pioneer 43100 Foxwing/Sunseeker/Batwing mount. In order to mount it to the Thule load bars I drilled two holes through my Thule bars. Originally I was going to mount my Foxwing awning on my Jeep, but there was no way that I could position the Foxwing to clear my drivers side doors when they opened, and at the same time be able to clear my garage door. So, I scrapped that idea and moved the Foxwing onto my trailer, and the lower height/profile of the ARB awning worked out perfectly. I have just enough clearance to get into my garage-about 3/4"!

GrnRubi

Rank 0

Traveler I

Montana
Thanks for all the input...With a bit of deliberation, I have decided to do a 270 degree awning built for the passenger side on my drivers side but on my trailer...This will allow me to open it towards the front and also cover the back of my Jeep. This will serve 2 purposes, one covering me for cooking and two easier install while keeping top of Jeep clean.

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
SabJKU -- how long have you had your awning mounted on Thule system? And any problems?

The reason I ask is that since the JKU roof (including rain gutters) is fibreglass, I'd be worried about the strength. When I was shopping for a rack a few years back I saw that Thule and other rack manufactures sell products for the JK but they have very conservative load estimates, and I was advised that that the fibreglass roofs on the JK are prone to cracking with the stresses of off road. Thule's system states it's max load is 75 kgs, but also states that it depends on the vehicle. If you have an awning weighing in at 50 lbs you are of course well below that, but that is a static load not a dynamic one and I've never found info on those gutter mount racks either way. My fear is that a 50 lbs load can easily put stresses well beyond 165 lbs (75 kgs) on a rough road at speed.

Of course, everyone's mileage may vary and this will work for lots of people just fine but I thought it would be good to hear your experience so far.

For comparison though, the Gobi rack that I went with has a 150 dynamic, 300 static rating so it's not all that much better than the Thule, but the mounts are to the windshield bracket (part of the roll bar structure) and the rear frame so I think it's probably pretty robust for heavier weights.

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Thanks GrnRubi; that's the trouble with a lot of this stuff is it's all anecdotal without a lot of hard evidence.

I think it's probably fine for a lot of stuff a typical JK will see, and an owner keeping an eye out for cracks and such as part of their routine maintenance is probably good enough.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

SabJKU -- how long have you had your awning mounted on Thule system? And any problems?

The reason I ask is that since the JKU roof (including rain gutters) is fibreglass, I'd be worried about the strength. When I was shopping for a rack a few years back I saw that Thule and other rack manufactures sell products for the JK but they have very conservative load estimates, and I was advised that that the fibreglass roofs on the JK are prone to cracking with the stresses of off road. Thule's system states it's max load is 75 kgs, but also states that it depends on the vehicle. If you have an awning weighing in at 50 lbs you are of course well below that, but that is a static load not a dynamic one and I've never found info on those gutter mount racks either way. My fear is that a 50 lbs load can easily put stresses well beyond 165 lbs (75 kgs) on a rough road at speed.

Of course, everyone's mileage may vary and this will work for lots of people just fine but I thought it would be good to hear your experience so far.

For comparison though, the Gobi rack that I went with has a 150 dynamic, 300 static rating so it's not all that much better than the Thule, but the mounts are to the windshield bracket (part of the roll bar structure) and the rear frame so I think it's probably pretty robust for heavier weights.
Very good question, and concern. I myself did a lot of research surrounding this before making my decision. I really didn't want to drill into my hardtop and do any modifications inside the vehicle to run an awning, if it was avoidable. I found a number of other folks on a few other forums that were also running the Thule square load bars and gutter mounts with Foxwing or ARB awnings, and they confirmed no problems.

It's probably been close to a year or so now with the Thule gutter mount and ARB awning on my JKU. I haven't used it for anything else other than sliding my kayak on top of the load bars and strapping that down.(My kayak is only 38lbs though). I've had zero problems. I drive a few hundred miles each weekend and do a lot of fireroads, forestroads, etc, and very minor "4wd" trails, but have seen no signs of any fatigue, cracks, slippage, etc. I also commute every day in my Jeep, about 50 miles round trip, and see hwy speeds most of the time around 60-70mph(except for rush hour in DC!:smiley:) The roads around here are not always the smoothest either, so there is a bit of a beating that gets exerted on the setup. Again, zero issues. I wouldn't have a problem recommending this setup at all.

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Thanks for the reply sabjku! I'm glad to hear in a real-world experience these are working rather than relying on internet speculation. It's a great option for folks who want an awning but don't want to shell out $1500 for a rack setup, which is perfectly understandable. My own wallet nerve twitches when I think of the cost of racks for these things!

Now, get me an Alu-Cab for my JK (Like Andrew St. Pierre White has on his LandCruiser) and I'm in heaven and will spare no expense -- simply drill and bold the mounts to the aluminum roof! Alas, no sign of one just yet. Even the Ursa Minor is fibreglass and for $10k I'd have a tough time drilling into it!

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Thanks for the reply sabjku! I'm glad to hear in a real-world experience these are working rather than relying on internet speculation. It's a great option for folks who want an awning but don't want to shell out $1500 for a rack setup, which is perfectly understandable. My own wallet nerve twitches when I think of the cost of racks for these things!

Now, get me an Alu-Cab for my JK (Like Andrew St. Pierre White has on his LandCruiser) and I'm in heaven and will spare no expense -- simply drill and bold the mounts to the aluminum roof! Alas, no sign of one just yet. Even the Ursa Minor is fibreglass and for $10k I'd have a tough time drilling into it!
No problem at all....that's what we're all here for:)

I could NEVER drill into an Ursa Minor lol.