Fontana, CA, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Lebel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6TJR
Finally decided that I want a fridge for the back of my Jeep. Looking for recommendations and opinions on which one to buy. 2/3 people 3+ Days
1) what did you get?
2) what do you like about it?
3) what would you have done different?

Thanks

Bob (Fishingbob)

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Aransas Pass, Texas
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Burton
Member #

I have a JKU 2015. Not sure the amount of space you are planning to set aside for the refrigerator. I purchased a SnoMaster 56L Refrig/Freezer, usually just use it as a refrig. I mounted it on plywood, used a 26" full extension drawer slide, which fits nicely in the JKU, the extension really allows great accessibility. I'm usually gone for 4-6 days at a time camping/fishing on the beach.

Think ahead before committing to the overall purchases-just saying. Refrig and supporting items can take up a lot of space and tie up a lot of dollars.

When your out 3-6 days (or more), ice is not an option for me-no place to purchase ice. How are you going to power the refrig?

My set up is follows:
Snomaster 56L classic refrig/Freezer---excellent unit-love it-would purchase again
Slide shelf-drawer slides---a must, refrig weights 56#, but when loaded down it's hard to slide forward enough to get access to the rear compartment .
Renogy 20 amp Rover charge controller
Renogy 20 amp DCDC charger---a must see below***
100 watt Mono crystalline folding solar panel---would possibly consider a roll-able flat type panel-(less weight/bulk)
Renogy 700 watt inverter-can't do much with 700 watt-will more likely replace with a 1500 watt at some point.
Renogy 100 AH LiFe battery, mounted in an Atwood battery box with a 100 amp and 30 amp circuit breaker mounted to an angle piece of plywood in the front---the LiFe battery is great because you run the charge down to a minimal amount. I have the refrig/freezer set to cut off automatically at 10.6 volts.
ALL components are installed using Anderson Plugs so the components can be removed/replaced as needed. I installed a separate chassis ground to the rear seat mounting leg-again with an Anderson plug.

***I just recently added the DCDC charger to the rack (system). I found many times when I left early in the morning, by the time I got to where I was going there was little or no sunlight left. I couldn't set up the solar panel. Usually by mid morning the next morning the refrig/freezer would stop. Keep in mind most of the time the unit is pulling 0.06 amps (not much). By adding the DCDC charger-now when I arrive the battery is still fully charged.
If you need more help I can send more pictures and details -just let me know.
slide set up.jpgBattery set up-1.jpg

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I have a JK and I use a 52L. Plenty big enough for 3 days with 2 people. When it isn't in the Jeep it sits in our apartment being used along side the small refrigerator freezer that came with the place. Since it is a JK, that means that I had to remove the back seat in order to fit everything inside the back area when I go camping.

Attachments

benb

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Oregon
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Brubaker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7QYW
I have this one and have used it a few times now. It seems really good for the price (I paid $250 on sale). It happens to be a perfect fit for the back of the Jeep below a cargo shelf. Very little wasted space above it and I can fit 2 LBT Medium Loadout bags next to it.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I have a Indel B 35 qt in my cruiser and and a Whynter 50 qt in my trailer. Both can be found on sale if you look. I got the Whynter on sale at Home Depo Online but dont remember the price. I do remember it was super cheap. The Indel B was 350 on sale at Truck Fridge. I picked up a 60qt Dometic for one of my friends at a scratch and dent sale for 375 last year. Unfortunately I didn't bookmark that site.

The 35qt works great for myself up to 3 days but I think its a bit much for day trips. The 50qt in my trailer has lasted me 2 weeks by packing smart.
A couple of years ago a bunch of copycat fridges hit the market at a real low price. The postings I read are hit and miss on them lasting. My Whytner is 5 years old and my Indel is 2 years old. The Whynter gets bounced around in my trailer.

Reactions: RiptydRick

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I have a 65q Dometic in the back of my JK. Honestly, what’s not to love? It’s huge. And it’s a dual zone, but we stopped using it that way. We don’t use the freezer side enough to keep using it. We actually could have got by with a 55q. View attachment 151045View attachment 151046
I have the same fridge, but in my Jeep I removed the rear seat in favor of a platform, and kept it right behind the driver's seat. Easily accessible, and with the awning on that side, we usually just left the window down and you could easily grab what you want.