Rank II

Enthusiast III

Lemoore, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Mattingly
Member #

Hey guys not new to wheeling or out doors, I have two other rigs more built ( 74 powerwagon, and a 77 fj40) but this ones going to be more overland / camp family rig. we have had commander for years and been good in town light trail use rig. just did a 3 inch lift and new UCA 's and decided to start building this into more overland style build. looking at adding some armor (bumpers/ sliders) and some creature comforts for out on the trail.... Pics to come
bald 2.jpg

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
Love the commanders. Couldn't find a v8 with all the 4wd goodies locally so ended up with a land rover. Still definitely a fan.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

If only Jeep had called the Commander the Cherokee and offered selectable 4 x 4 (like Selec-Trac in the GC), and never introduced the current line of Cherokee, then they would still be selling these things today

Last edited:
Reactions: Maddog74

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I have always liked these. The head of Chrysler was evidently not a fan. They were the lowest selling Jeep at the time, but I think they marketed it wrong. It was built on the gen 3 Grand Cherokee platform of the time (same wheelbase) but was on just an inch or 2 longer. First Jeep with 7 seating. But if the seats were full, there was no room for cargo.

Again, take out the 3rd row seating, give it select trac and a solid front axle, and name it the Cherokee. Bump off the Liberty entirely. They couldnt have kept up with demand

Reactions: Maddog74

Maddog74

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Lemoore, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Mattingly
Member #

Looking forward to watching this build. I just bought a Commander so I'm looking for ideas. Which lift did you install?
Used lift off Amazon 3 in , upper control arms I think from Buds ? I’ll check on that… works but I think my shocks are an issue right now need to go longer…

Maddog74

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Lemoore, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Mattingly
Member #

Soo holding bumper up might go a different direction… I knew was going to cut it down a little but now I might cut down to center section then build the ends back to fenders more like second pic

Attachments