Jeep Commander Build thread

• HTML tutorial

will liebel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dahlonega
Member #

A short story behind this jeep is that I bought it right after high school on an impulse. Not until college did I become acquainted with overlanding, I have a select few college buddies to thank for that. Shortly there after I began the add ons. First a budget lift, and then an empty front bumper. From there everything else just fell into place.

2006 jeep commander 4x4 limited, 4.7 liter V8. WAM Bumper (produced in Douglasville, GA). Smittybilt XRC 9500 (synthetic line). 4 Inch JBA lift, JBA UCAs, bilstein adjustable 5100s, old man emu HD front coils, 4 inch superlift rear coils. ARB 2500 series awning (provided by south east overland), 305/65/17 wheels and tires. Wheels are soft 8s and tires are Mickey Thompson MTZ p3.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

will liebel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dahlonega
Member #

Unfortunately about 90% of them are AWD, however that other 10% is 2WD. The 4.7 liter has a computer option which disengages 4WD when 40 mph is sustained to save in gas. The Hemi engine does the same but it also shits dorm 3 or 4 cylinders.

jhill15

Rank 0

Contributor II

Very sweet looking rig! I was in the market for one about a year ago but i couldn't find one in my area that was worth it. Some of the 5.7 hemi's Have Quadra drive 2. With that you get Electronic limited slip front and rear diffs, which locks both diffs if there is slippage.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Reactions: will liebel

will liebel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dahlonega
Member #

Yeah I like the ELSD and I could swap my front diff for one from a junk yard it's not completely uncommon and relatively inexpensive, so get that and a ARB or powertrax in the back and boom! The hemi is a work horse in terms of horse power putting out around 340 compared to the 245ish the 4.7 puts out. But the hemi has a lot of issues, especially in terms of the exhaust manifold bolts, water pump, etc.

Reactions: mntnbomber

will liebel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dahlonega
Member #

Good stuff. Where ya located? We should wheel sometime man. We have myself and a few toyotas down in northeast Georgia that do the Georgia traverse biannually

85cj7boy

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Ohio
Used to live in Dawsonville. Miss NorthGA. Would love to get back down there and do some exploring again. Life moved me to Ohio. Like the Commander have an 07 Overland model that I will be modifying as life allows. Wife and baby to keep my busy. Oh and a house with a never ending list of ToDos.