January- IL - UT or AZ overland trip ideas - looking for input.

• HTML tutorial

rkcreative

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Hi Folks,

I have about a two week window at the beginning of January to do a solo overland adventure trip. Coming out of Chicago area I am looking to escape the cold and get a few days out on the trials to roam around, hike and camp.

My initial thoughts were to shoot out towards southern Utah and Arizona.

I'm looking for input as to what might be some good trails to get out on given the time of year. ( Moab?) Any info or destination suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neal A. Tew

BPCLFD

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

Sellersburg, IN, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
with 2 wks you could run the AZBDR then shoot over to Moab with that said thats a tough time of yr in the high mtn parts out west just depends on snow fall.

samuraj

Rank III

Enthusiast III

chicago
First Name
adam
Last Name
adam
Member #

i think its warmer in chicago , so you won't escape any weather for sure :blush:
im escaping Chicago in June , sedona , moab .

ARIZ ST 8

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Chicago, IL
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Perlman
Hi Folks,

I have about a two week window at the beginning of January to do a solo overland adventure trip. Coming out of Chicago area I am looking to escape the cold and get a few days out on the trials to roam around, hike and camp.

My initial thoughts were to shoot out towards southern Utah and Arizona.

I'm looking for input as to what might be some good trails to get out on given the time of year. ( Moab?) Any info or destination suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also in the Chicago area (western burbs) and originally from AZ (up until 5 years ago). Higher elevations might have snow, so you'll want to account for that... it's really more once you get into the lower / southern parts of the state that things are warmer.

I'm planning a trip with a buddy from AZ and we're considering meeting in Moab and doing some trails there in late April or May. Surprisingly, the states in the SW are still cold through March and April.

I don't know about you, but I've been having a difficult time finding good routes "nearby" Illinois. I tried the Trans Wisconsin this past fall and wasn't impressed. Maybe we can use this post you've created to help build up our options for those of us in the Midwest. I've looked into the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway and that appears to be more promising than the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail.

Let me know if you need help figuring out AZ. I've done Moab more frequently on cross-country trips and it's a blast out there.

BPCLFD

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

Sellersburg, IN, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I'm also in the Chicago area (western burbs) and originally from AZ (up until 5 years ago). Higher elevations might have snow, so you'll want to account for that... it's really more once you get into the lower / southern parts of the state that things are warmer.

I'm planning a trip with a buddy from AZ and we're considering meeting in Moab and doing some trails there in late April or May. Surprisingly, the states in the SW are still cold through March and April.

I don't know about you, but I've been having a difficult time finding good routes "nearby" Illinois. I tried the Trans Wisconsin this past fall and wasn't impressed. Maybe we can use this post you've created to help build up our options for those of us in the Midwest. I've looked into the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway and that appears to be more promising than the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail.

Let me know if you need help figuring out AZ. I've done Moab more frequently on cross-country trips and it's a blast out there.
DBBB is good check out the KY adventure trail "KAT" some of the DBBB is a small park of the KAT DBBB 90-100 miles KAT 900 miles. Your vet will get pin striping on either DBBB KAT 100% if you care about that kinda thing. The TAT runs thru TN and is supposed to be nice haven't done that yet 90% also Land between the lakes KY/TN border
feel free to send a massage about anything around IN,KY,TN area