James Baroud Explorer - Comprehensive Review & RTT Buyers Guide!

• HTML tutorial

TheAdventureIndex

Rank V
Investor

Member III

San Mateo,CA
Member #

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
Okay, thanks. "Long Term Review" - How was wind noise? How was ease of mounting? How was condensation? Solar charged top-side vent -do you feel it's adequate? Any rainy days - how did it dry? How was the comfort/mattress? Did you buy the "comfort layer" for under the mattress? What is your opinion of the workmanship? Ladder slippery? Does any material get pinched when closing? Inside storage - enough? Real take down time? This would be good stuff to know. I'm picking up my Baroud Extreme on the 16th.

Reactions: TheAdventureIndex

TheAdventureIndex

Rank V
Investor

Member III

San Mateo,CA
Member #

Okay, thanks. "Long Term Review" - How was wind noise? How was ease of mounting? How was condensation? Solar charged top-side vent -do you feel it's adequate? Any rainy days - how did it dry? How was the comfort/mattress? Did you buy the "comfort layer" for under the mattress? What is your opinion of the workmanship? Ladder slippery? Does any material get pinched when closing? Inside storage - enough? Real take down time? This would be good stuff to know. I'm picking up my Baroud Extreme on the 16th.
LOVE this feedback. Just added seven paragraphs to the long term review with these answers.
THANK YOU!

Last edited:
Reactions: cowboyjack

aaen

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hmm, I have the complete opposite experience on mine with only 30 night. I'd post up about it here, but they basically refunded me the money due to the tent starting to fall apart. The threads are up on expo portal as of recently, under my user name as the OP.

TheAdventureIndex

Rank V
Investor

Member III

San Mateo,CA
Member #

Hmm, I have the complete opposite experience on mine with only 30 night. I'd post up about it here, but they basically refunded me the money due to the tent starting to fall apart. The threads are up on expo portal as of recently, under my user name as the OP.
I'm glad they stood by their customer, however I'm suprised at your experience.

Edit: looked at your thread. Looks like legitimate concerns. Though, I have yet to have the same wear on my tent.

Looks like Rin took care of you, good stuff.

(thread for those wondering) though I do personally believe its a little too type A nit picky. You could put silicone over the rivet and how often do you use the fan? lol

Last edited:
Reactions: aearles

aaen

Rank 0

Traveler I

Go check out my post on expo, there are numerous acct's of this issue on ih8mud as well. and expedition portal.

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/forums/138-Roof-Top-Tents-and-Awnings

I'm rarely on this thread, I spend more time on other boards, because the information there is more what i am after. Nothing wrong with this board, but there is more information on other boards. That is why I have a rank of O, I am rarely on here and hardly ever post, unless I find something that peaks my interest.

Your right, I have one post talking bad about JB, and another mentioned i had issues where I was asking questions about an ARB SWAG tent. And yes I will continue to post up about it on other places as well so people are able to make an informed decision when purchasing tents, good or bad people need to know that here are issues with these tents, and I am not the first to report it.

Steve

Reactions: SAC-CA-Runner

aaen

Rank 0

Traveler I

Type A Nit Picky? Come on you pay top dollar (these tents in Canada are $7,200) for an item that is suppose to be the best in the market and it literally starts falling apart after 30 nights of use and that is considered being nit picky? seriously? If it had been wear and tear over a year of use, yeah, there wouldn't be an issue and I wouldn't have posted anything up about it. You don't see me going oh your just a fan boy of the product, or whatever. Why because I respect other peoples opinions and everyone has different experiences with products/companies.

FYI, for those not in the know, here is my list off issues that happened to the JB Explorer RTT in 30 nights of use.

-Fabric developing multiple pin holes and stretch marks?
-Hole in the fabric from the rivet
-Barley able to zipper doors shit because the fabric is too tight?
-Fan failing, other people camp in cool/cold weather where condensation is a real issue in tents, as in it will soak everything over night, we regularly camp in the winter time here
-Rivet, sure that one is minor but it cause a hole in the tent that leaked, I again live in a climate where it rains all the time.
-Rusty hardware (minor), although it is a poor choice of hardware to use.

Regards

Steve

TheAdventureIndex

Rank V
Investor

Member III

San Mateo,CA
Member #

-Fabric developing multiple pin holes and stretch marks?
over 50 nights (maybe even 100) and i have not experienced this
-Hole in the fabric from the rivet
see above
-Barley able to zipper doors shit because the fabric is too tight?
I velco it closed, then pull down on the zippers and it we're good to go.
-Fan failing, other people camp in cool/cold weather where condensation is a real issue in tents, as in it will soak everything over night, we regularly camp in the winter time here
thus far, no bad fan experience, but that being said I've only used it for about 20 nights
-Rivet, sure that one is minor but it cause a hole in the tent that leaked, I again live in a climate where it rains all the time.
silicone glue.
-Rusty hardware (minor), although it is a poor choice of hardware to use.
valid concern, but also, proper preventative maintenance would help prevent this.

Your results may vary I suppose. My only negative fedback is its damn hard to close when at high elevation in heat.