Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Alexandria, Virginia, United States
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Decided to start a thread for my build. I started with a 1977 homemade trailer. I don't know any of the specs but it has a pretty big axle and leaf springs. It's a 4x8 bed.
8D000BF5-6FC3-4D9C-B06F-E3D34568A4D8-7766-0000017227DFA584.jpeg

I'll attach the next updates in different replies.

Jack Houston

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
Jack
Last Name
Houston
Member #

The first step was getting the old rotted bed off. I didn't have access to many tools at that point so I just used a hammer and pry bar. It probably took 8 hours total. I thought it would just fall apart with a little effort but he had gone all out with the supports a structure.

IMG_2640.JPG

That's a somewhat blurry picture of it about 98% demoed (don't mind the messy garage). My next step was rust treating, priming, and undercoating the whole thing. Had I been more strategic about it I only would have undercoated specific parts but I decided to do the whole thing.

Jack Houston

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
Jack
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Here's the most recent update. I decided to put in the (possibly temporary) floor. I've been running low on funds so this was a salvaged piece of plywood from my mom's house. It has 2x4 supports underneath which are brand new and will stay. I did this primarily so I can visualize the space that I have available. When I get some more money I might change this to some thicker plywood that hasn't been sitting outside for weeks. In addition to that I'll be coating all the wood with either some sort of outdoor stain or resin (plus paint).

IMG_2779.JPG

Reactions: Jeff Swain