Jack's 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser

• HTML tutorial

=Jack=

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bentonville, AR, USA
Member #

Hello everyone. I'm currently building a Black (White Roof) 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser with 92k miles. If you're not very familiar with the FJ Cruiser, it has a 260 hp 4.0 V6 with a 6 spd manual transmission. It also has a rear electronic locking differential. I've already made a bit of progress and gone on a few trips.

My current setup has the following...

Rough Country 4" lift
American Racing 17" Baja flat black wheels
Atturo 265/70R17 tires
Bajarack medium flat roof rack
Tuff Stuff 4.5' rear awning w/shade
Tuff Stuff 12v light
Tuff Stuff Ranger roof top tent and annex room
Tuff Stuff 55 qt 12v fridge
Road Armor Titan II Front Bumper
Warn V12 12000 lbs winch
PIAA bumper lights

Attachments

Reactions: TexasGXGuy

TexasGXGuy

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Rockwall, TX 75087, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Morris
Member #

Hello everyone. I'm currently building a Black (White Roof) 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser with 92k miles. If you're not very familiar with the FJ Cruiser, it has a 260 hp 4.0 V6 with a 6 spd manual transmission. It also has a rear electronic locking differential. I've already made a bit of progress and gone on a few trips.

My current setup has the following...

Rough Country 4" lift
American Racing 17" Baja flat black wheels
Atturo 265/70R17 tires
Bajarack medium flat roof rack
Tuff Stuff 4.5' rear awning w/shade
Tuff Stuff 12v light
Tuff Stuff Ranger roof top tent and annex room
Tuff Stuff 55 qt 12v fridge
Road Armor Titan II Front Bumper
Warn V12 12000 lbs winch
PIAA bumper lights
That’s an awesome looking rig. I’ve always loved the FJ’s. How are you liking your Tuff Stuff fridge and RTT? And definitely looking forward to updates on your build and adventures!

Reactions: =Jack=

=Jack=

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bentonville, AR, USA
Member #

I've been slowly working on a dual battery setup. I finally got around to finishing it a few days ago. Kits seemed way too expensive, so I decided to build my own. It all started with a schematic I found on Google. From there, I started piecing it together.

Univeral battery tray from Dorman for $31
Battery tie down $15
Rubber mounts were $15
Marine battery was $90
Battery cables were $35
Continuous duty cycle solenoid was $22
Add a circuit, fuses, connectors, and solder were $30.

I already had wire, bolts, washers, and nuts from other projects.

Total Cost was around $238

Plus, I learned quite a few things!

I started by making a stencil for the battery plate by using some cardboard. I found a spot suitable for the plate, placed the stencil, and drilled the holes. I removed the inner fender, and used 4 bolts, nuts, and washers to mount the plate. The fender would allow the plate to flex a bit, so I decided to drill another hole and use a rubber mount I got from energy suspension. I had to shave a little over an inch off the mount so it would fit between the plate and the fender well.

The two tabs on the plate used to hold the battery needed to be bent in a little. I used a battery tie down to secure the battery to the plate (it's on the backside of the battery). I ran the negative lead from the aux battery to the chassis and the positive lead across the firewall to the driver side. The FJ already has bolts protruding from the firewall, so I used zip ties to secure the positive lead to them. I mounted the solenoid to the driver fender well just behind the fuse block.

The small bolt marked (I) on the solenoid is ground to chassis, and the small bolt marked (S) is connected to the EFI fuse using an add a circuit with two 10 amp fuses. The reason for this is that the EFI fuse is the only one that has 12v when the vehicle ignition is on and doesn't when the ignition is off. The solenoid will isolate the aux battery until the ignition is on or when the engine is running. One large bolt on the solenoid is connected to the aux battery positive lead, and the other large bolt is connected to the main battery positive lead. I trimmed the fuse block and cover to accommodate the wire from the add a circuit.

Using a 15 amp fuse, some wire, and a few connectors, I ran a positive lead from the aux battery, through the firewall on the passenger side, and all the way back to the passenger rear of the vehicle. I installed a 12v plug using the chassis as ground. Now I can plug in my 12v Tuff Stuff Refrigerator.

During this project, I made sure to solder and heat shrink all of the connections.

Attachments

Last edited:

=Jack=

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bentonville, AR, USA
Member #

That’s an awesome looking rig. I’ve always loved the FJ’s. How are you liking your Tuff Stuff fridge and RTT? And definitely looking forward to updates on your build and adventures!
I'm loving it so far!

However, I'm still making modifications to the tent and awning. More on that later.

=Jack=

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bentonville, AR, USA
Member #

This dual battery setup of yours has definitely got my gears turning because, like you said, the kits are expensive!
I attached the easy schematic I used. However, I activated the solenoid by using an ignition wire as stated above instead of a push button or switch. Also, if you decide to go this route, make sure you use a solenoid with a continuous duty cycle. I bought mine from autozone for $22. The intermittent ones won't last very long. One more thing, the solenoid gets VERY hot under use, but that's normal. Make sure you place it away from anything you don't want to melt!

Attachments

TexasGXGuy

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Rockwall, TX 75087, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Morris
Member #

I attached the easy schematic I used. However, I activated the solenoid by using an ignition wire as stated above instead of a push button or switch. Also, if you decide to go this route, make sure you use a solenoid with a continuous duty cycle. I bought mine from autozone for $22. The intermittent ones won't last very long. One more thing, the solenoid gets VERY hot under use, but that's normal. Make sure you place it away from anything you don't want to melt!
Roger that, thank you!