• HTML tutorial

bee_CO

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Bee
Last Name
Bee
What Jacks are you guys using off the trail AND in the garage?

I would like to get a HiLift Jack for on the trail /side of the road, but I don't really have any lift points (yet). And Those of you with a Hi Lift, do you use it instead of a floor jack in the garage?
After installing the icon coilovers + shocks + AAL, my 3ton Harbor Freight floor Jack doesn't quite go high enough (when lifting from the frame) to get the tires off the ground, lol. I ended up getting some 2x8s, putting 2 3ftlengths side by side (Jack too wide for just one) , and then putting the jack on them for a little bit more height.

First State Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Delaware
Member #

I only use my HiLift when there is no other option available - 1 because it's bolted to the back of my JK and I have to get out tools, but 2 because it's unstable and dangerous if you don't watch what you're doing. Unfortunately, since installing my lift, it's the only thing that will lift high enough from the body as you mentioned. I have been looking into the ARB bushranger x-jack, but not sure I want to drop that much money.

Reactions: vegasjeepguy

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

An aluminum floor jack I got at harbor freight. No wheels. With a skid plate instead of wheels to slide across dirt and create surface area.....

Just a thought I've been tossing around. Seen it done somewhere

Reactions: NorthStar96

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

I have jack points in my sliders, but I've also used my wheel attachment with the HiLift. Bottle jacks for the garage, though I sometimes use a floor jack.

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

On the trail, a combination of Hi-lift (you just need to understand how it works and be diligent) and the Toyota supplied bottle jack. These have always worked for me. When it comes to the Hi-lift you just need to train with it. Yes it can be very dangerous if you are not prepared, but so can a vehicle, a gun and fireworks. You do not need to be afraid of the jack, just respectful of it. Training should be conducted regularly.

In the garage a floor jack. The only way to go.

Reactions: Winterpeg and Flip

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Floor jacks suck on gravel. I consider it "Offroad" My driveway is gravel. Hi-lift, slider attachment, and jackstands. Safe as can be if you leave the beer in the fridge
I'm gonna try the skid plate idea and do a write up just because I'm curious lol

Good idea or bad?

E

expeditionnorth

hi lift extreme for its height of 60"

for around the driveway, wish I had a garage, craftsman 3 ton floor jack

plus one of those cheap 1.5k floor jacks in the rig too

Reactions: O.Dfj

BlkWgn

Rank 0

Contributor II

I did not see it mentioned here, but I just picked up a Safe Jack at Overland expo. I have not had a need to use it on the trail yet, but tested it out in the driveway and I am pretty happy with it.

I have a review of it on my blog, I dont think it is a full replacement for a hi lift and the proper training on using one safely, but it will replace them in many situations.

Reactions: sfsmedic

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

I did not see it mentioned here, but I just picked up a Safe Jack at Overland expo. I have not had a need to use it on the trail yet, but tested it out in the driveway and I am pretty happy with it.

I have a review of it on my blog, I dont think it is a full replacement for a hi lift and the proper training on using one safely, but it will replace them in many situations.
Is that just an attachement to the top of a bottle jack?

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I like the look of that bottle/safejack. I need to get a good portable options. I have standard large floor jacks that I can use under a-arms to deal with tires. I also need a higher garage/garage door. I can't even jack up wheels off the floor without hitting the garage door when its open.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

I like this but for anything but concrete I would want a much wider base on it.

For my 2 cents... I always take my hilift when I go offroad.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I think a Hi-Lift is a useful tool for all the reasons stated and has it limitations for all the reasons stated. Therefore it is worth having. I mounted my Hi-Lift on my CDN M101 trailer which keeps it handy when I'm out overlanding. Day to day I still rely on my factory bottle jack on the road and a floor Jack at home.
image.jpg

Last edited: