Jack options when your rig is over 7000lbs loaded?

• HTML tutorial

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

So the venerable farm jack aka hi lift is only rated for 4000 lb with a max load test of 7000lbs from the factory. What jack would you use on a lifted truck that weighs 8500 lbs fully loaded? I dont trust farm jacks much and I'm a farmer, ive seen them knock folks teeth out and drop tractors on legs also on the truck there is nowhere i can jack without damaging something . Should i just make a skid plate for a extended lift hydraulic floor jack or go with an exhaust jack rated for 8800lbs? Right now i have to use the spare tire under the factory bottle jack to get wheels off the ground but that jack is about ready to let go after rotating the tires a few times. I already have a hi lift for farm use but like i said it is under rated for my needs and super sketchy on anything over 4000lbs

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
You do realize that you are not lifting the entire truck off the ground? At best or worst situations you will be lifting half of the vehicle - 4250 lbs. When changing a tire you lift only 1/4 of the vehicle 2125lbs.
Have you looked at the new ARB jack - it's a hydraulic farm jack.

Reactions: Corbet and Arailt

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

This is tricky. I only use a high lift with a tire shackle. Or use it as a come along. Use the tire shackle on the front bumper as well with the hooks. The soft strap helps with damage. I carry a 5 ton bottle jack with a couple of four by 6 timber blocks if i have to change a tire. Also carry one jack stand for that as well. Uselly keep those together. Doesnt take up but a little bit of space @Graeman is right. Your only lifting a 1/4 of that truck a good inch off the ground. Even in the garage i only lift a 1/4 at a time if I am bringing the whole vehicle up jack stand it and use a floor jack to move axles up or down. Where you have rock sliders or aftermarket bumpers you can get away with a high lift a little bit. Those 4x6 timbers work great for cribbing. A good sized bottle jack works well with that cribbing. Use to run a 20 ton in my semi with the same type of timber and lifting one side of the axle at a time. I just use the highlift for self recovery most of the time.. they are scary!

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Yes i realize im not lifting the whole vehicle, as i said the stock bottle jack that came with the truck is begining give out and it was rated for lifting 1/4 of the truck. Metal bumpers are out of the question i dont want all that weight its the same reason i dont use an electric winch. Im just going to have to get a exhaust jack its the only type i havent tried yet. I'll leave my farm jack on my farm where it belongs to change tires on tractors and level sheds/barns. Another option ive thought about aside from air jack is to fab some rotating brackets to fit rv electric leveling jacks on all 4 corners of my frame the rotating brackets would allow the jacks to to sit parallel to the frame rails when not in use, just rotate down and press a button to lift. But thats probably a stupid idea they would weigh alot.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Are you trying to level vehicle? For a rtt or camper? Like your thought process but seems like alot of work! A exhaust jacks are cool for weird terrain

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

A heavier bottle jack has some more reach than stock can get them in any tonnage that you want. 1.5 ton 2 ton 5 ton 10 ton etc. those oem jacks are pieces of sh*t

Reactions: DaveD

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
The problem with a bottle jack is getting it under the axle. Even worse if your tire is blowout and sitting on the rim.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
All my offroad vehicles get a 10 ton bottle jack. The one I choose has the highest lift. I hate to admit it but, their all from Harbor Freight. Had one of them for several years with no issues. Out here the desert is volcanic. Brutal on tires. have used them a bunch. I have a 15x15 flat plate I use if there's sand. Wont do much good in mud.
For more stability, I made a piece that fits around the top and cradles the axle.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Some of that harbor freight stuff is junk... that being said I have the same ten ton and its been great! I use alot of their hand tools too. I had a bunch of tool stolen out of my pickup once.. i keep my good tools at home and keep Pittsburgh in the tool box. I like their closed and open wrench’s because they are pretty long handled. I also have their 20 ton bottle jack that is an air driven jack worked great for the semi sense it always had built up air

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I still use a 60” hi-lift for my heavy truck but I have bumpers and sliders to work with. The exhaust jacks work good for tire changes if they have enough lift for the vehicle. My OEM bottle jack still works fine I’m I’m on flat ground. That new ARB jack looks cool but it’s too rich for my blood.

I wouldn’t use any of these options if working at home. Too much wear and tear. The big tool away is for tire rotations. I could not imagine doing it any other way.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

You can get alot done with a high lift or farmer jack as your calling them. An actual bottle jack with a couple blocked of wood under it would give you a better stand than a spare tire. IMG_5444.JPG ive stretched and built fence with a highlift in a bind once. That oh crap moment when you leave a wire stretcher in the flat bed but your headed to town with the good pickup and cows are out. The air bag I dont have any experience with them. ive seen a recovery truck up right a flipped over cow truck with big air backs and their heavy wrecker trucks.

Reactions: Graeman

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
Not a bad plan. I've also heard of folks running a small and a larger bottle jack for the above reasons. The shorter one gets in low spots, the larger one gets the truck high enough.
Exactly. I can use the scissor jack (from an H1 Hummer so it is plenty rated), to gert under frame when axle is down to ground. Then when that lifts, I can use the bottle jack to get to height. The 2x4s are for support on soft or unlevel surfaces, and to get additional height if needed.

E

Eric the Eric

All my offroad vehicles get a 10 ton bottle jack. The one I choose has the highest lift. I hate to admit it but, their all from Harbor Freight. Had one of them for several years with no issues. Out here the desert is volcanic. Brutal on tires. have used them a bunch. I have a 15x15 flat plate I use if there's sand. Wont do much good in mud.
For more stability, I made a piece that fits around the top and cradles the axle.
I'm with you on this. 10 ton bottle from princess auto (Canada's Harbour Freight) and I carry x2 wooden pads designed for outriggers for sand/mud. Never had an issue. I have a Jack all for redundancy but rarely use it. I have even used a canvas tarp folded up into a pad in a pinch with no issues too.

Reactions: Roam_CO85

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Cribbing and a good bottle jack can do a lot!! The exhaust jack, not so much. I member brought one to a meeting and we tried it on various vehicles. The only one it lifted to working level was a JKU that was empty... A farm Jack (HI-Lift) can do a lot too, but you have to know how to use them.....