Rank I

Contributor II

Central Texas, TX, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Odom
Member #

When I was ten, my family camping started in a 1968 AMC Rambler Rebel Station wagon with a 300 lb. (okay, maybe 100 lbs.) French made tent my folks picked up in Germany (Canvas with two enclosed bedrooms at about 180 sq. ft. in psychedelic blue and orange, hey, it was the late sixties). We lived in that tent for months sometimes waiting for base housing to open up. We visited many of the National Parks in the Southwest. In the mid seventies we graduated to a 22' trailer and traveled the Southeast. I lived in that trailer for a year when attending a tech school.
In my early twenties (1981-ish) I bought a 1975 CJ with the 401 V8 and that was my first "overlanding" rig, but we just called it offroading and camping. We joined the Fritztown Four Wheelers in Fredericksburg, TX and enjoyed every minute. We did that for about ten years and then life happened (a house, two kids and those durned jobs to support all of that) so getting away was put on hold for ~30 years.

Now I'm retired, single, and have itchy feet so it's time to get back out. I just sold a 2005 LJ and I currently have a stock 4x4 Frontier. I'm actively looking for a LX470 overlanding rig and a Patriot X1 trailer to get things going. (I'm still trying to decided whether to get a 470 or just build out my Frontier.) I joined OB because it just makes sense to become a part of a like-minded community while traveling solo.

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
When I was ten, my family camping started in a 1968 AMC Rambler Rebel Station wagon with a 300 lb. (okay, maybe 100 lbs.) French made tent my folks picked up in Germany (Canvas with two enclosed bedrooms at about 180 sq. ft. in psychedelic blue and orange, hey, it was the late sixties). We lived in that tent for months sometimes waiting for base housing to open up. We visited many of the National Parks in the Southwest. In the mid seventies we graduated to a 22' trailer and traveled the Southeast. I lived in that trailer for a year when attending a tech school.
In my early twenties (1981-ish) I bought a 1975 CJ with the 401 V8 and that was my first "overlanding" rig, but we just called it offroading and camping. We joined the Fritztown Four Wheelers in Fredericksburg, TX and enjoyed every minute. We did that for about ten years and then life happened (a house, two kids and those durned jobs to support all of that) so getting away was put on hold for ~30 years.

Now I'm retired, single, and have itchy feet so it's time to get back out. I just sold a 2005 LJ and I currently have a stock 4x4 Frontier. I'm actively looking for a LX470 overlanding rig and a Patriot X1 trailer to get things going. (I'm still trying to decided whether to get a 470 or just build out my Frontier.) I joined OB because it just makes sense to become a part of a like-minded community while traveling solo.
Welcome to the Overland Bound Community. Glad to have you join us.

Reactions: Texasviejo

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF

Hello Bi (@Texasviejo ), welcome to Overland Bound. I am one of your Local Experts for Texas.

South Central Texas has this meetup: Rigs and Coffee - South Central Texas

The one we attend for North Central Texas is in Georgetown: Recurring - North Central Texas Meet & Greet

We also have our Annual Texas Hill Country Route Trip planned for April 6: Annual Texas Hill Country Route Trip

Local information and involvement opportunities can be found here: Southwest Region (AZ/NM/TX/OK)

Looking to meet fellow members? Check out the Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups

Events in the SW region can be found here: Overland Bound Events SW Region

Want to know what members are planning? You can find out here: Overland Trip Planning

If you have any questions, please just let me know.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Welcome to Overland Bound
05 LJ is a great vehicle but the 470 is very comfortable and capable.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Some Local Experts are; in Texas @roots66 & @Coreymol, and in the DFW area you can also contact @Prerunner1982
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
App Tutorials
Overland Bound One App Adventure and Expedition Tutorials
Take a try at adding a track or point of interest to the app.
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly!
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
Check out Overland Expo https://www.OverlandExpo.com
Here is a Midwest expo in MO MOORE OVERLANDING AND OFF-ROAD EXPO // OZARK EMPIRE FAIRGROUNDS – SPRINGFIELD, MO
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com