Rank V
Investor

Advocate II

First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Adams
Member #

So I have been listening to the Overland Bound Podcast and just finished S2E4 where Michael has a discussion with the regional ambassadors. (Who I still need to look up and get to know in the SE).

But they touch on the very embodiment of this community, and I felt compelled to make a post with my own thoughts (as I wait for Church to start).

It really doesn’t matter what you drive - before I found this community a year ago, I was an “overlander” according to the description of this community. I loved driving my old Malibu, and Mustang, exploring new places, seeing sights. Using US Hwys, and State Routes over interstates as often as I could. If I felt tired, lost, broken, I would drive. If I felt happy, excited, proud, I would drive. Reconnecting with the open road and finding places to explore. I used my vehicles to facilitate this exploration. I would also outfit the vehicle depending on the trip - seeing the mantra, Outfit and Explore, doesn’t necessarily mean a RTT, Dometic Fridge, Awning, and decked out 4x4 on 40’s.

I moved from the Mustangs to an SUV, then to a Toyota Camry, with the Camry i visited a lot more places, finding an app that brought me to unique roadside attractions, Muffler Men, Bob Big Boy statues, Giant Legs in a cow pasture. I took back roads from Amarillo to Albuquerque, traveled portions of Route 66, went through the Painted Desert, explored Arizona, in a Camry.

So I stopped there, I’m in church, we had communion, and my mind trails to reconnecting not only with nature, but God. We talk in church about love - that’s what I feel this community is. It’s a fellowship of men and women who have a passion for vehicle dependent travel. Be it a convertible Mustang or a decked out Tacoma with all the bells and whistles.

The Rubicon is great, but so is the Tamiami Trail, US41 paved through the Everglades.

Get out, explore, and love one another!

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
My brother and I spent many weekends in Anza Borrego and Joshua tree in our 1984 vw rabbit cabriolet convertible. She started life Red and by the time she caught fire and burned on the side of I 10 on the way to Burning Man 1993 she was orange from all of the time spent in the sun. We learned all about push starting a car, electrical gremlins, failed fuel pumps, how much water you can drive in, and total break failure. And everying from overconfidence to praying that AAA will come out one more time to pull us out and not tell Dad.

take tools, spare parts, food and water, share/stop to help others, but never forget to take friends! See you all out on the trails

Last edited:

Padams7

Rank V
Investor

Advocate II

First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Adams
Member #

@Kozysnack EXATCLY! There was a time I was younger and we had sand rails and Baja bugs, all 2wd, but we went so many places with them exploring!

I have an app on my phone, had it for 12 years or so now, Roadside America, it just has oddball off the beaten path and unusual attractions.

I used it to mark an “animal” trip through the Southeast with my son. We saw the El Camino Chickens, the Slap Yo Momma BBQ Pig, the Exxon Tiger, Tow Mater and so many other things on that trip.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Great discussion!
Sometimes it seems that overlanding has become a contest of who has the “coolest” rig, instead of seeking great adventures. Yes, you can have fun in all kinds of vehicles! I recall a friend and I exploring Tennessee and North Carolina in a rented red Toyota Corolla. We drove dirt roads, moving fallen branches, and splashed through shallow streams. Camped in our tents and hiked up mountains. We returned the car dirty in order to hide a few scratches. So much fun!
BTW, Atlas Obscura is another source for weird and wonderful places to visit. Happy Trails, y’all!

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

It don't matter what you drive, what does matter is when you start saying you can go all the places the big boys can.
Just Don't act like a 2wd or awd is the same thing as a 4wd and it's fine. Just remember that what you see from the driver seat as a crazy obstacle is just a speed bump to they guy with a large built out rig.

Reactions: 9Mike2

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
The connections you make simply by sharing an adventurous spirit (or vehicle platform) is amazing. Back in 2010 I frequented the Comanche Club forums and a discussion sprung up about unconventional vehicles off the beaten path. The below is a piece of that conversation I had with a long time member.

ME said:
My wife's grandfather told me he once took his shiny new Grand Waggoneer over a pass around Leadville (the name has slipped my mind). His wife argued his new Jeep would get torn up, but they still went for it. Got to the top and saw a 60's convertible GTO parked up there. With big motors and a limited slip rear end you can do anything.
JIM said:
If your GF'S GD was driving a brown/tan Waggy over Mosquito Pass in July,1972 tell him you talked with the driver of the Blue '65 GTO convertable,389, 4spd,posi trac, who remebers him and the pleasant conversation we all had. Jim
ME said:
I talked with my wife's grandfather and he seemed very confident that Jim is who they ran into. Returning a message, 'well tell him hello.' He would have been a very easy going Western Kansas farmer who liked to chat. Amazing how small the world can be at times brought together by the exciting life of MJ (not the late pop star).
Now, none of the above connections would have been able to happen if the two gentleman did not have the adventurous spirit that led them to the top of Mosquito Pass. It really doesn't matter what you drive, just that you have the spirit to get out there.

GBGCR4x4

Rank III

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Gianluca
Last Name
Boncompagni
Nothing beats driving at night on the highway to let your mind wander off and cool down from stress, anxiety, etc. I 100% agree with you. One time I rented a van with a friend, and we drove around the southern island of new zealand. We went to some of the most beautiful places I've seen. We even parked once right next to a beautiful lake, and after cooking and eating we tried to leave, the grass was slippery because of the dew, and the van started sliding and almost ended up in the lake. We had to use stones we found nearby, as well as branches and even logs, to give the tires some grip and get it out safely.

It was one heck of an adventure. 2weeks sleeping in a van that had a small kitchen and bed in it. AnToyota Previa it was. We drove for miles. Incredible.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Such great memories, thank you for sharing! Adventure is the true spirit of overlanding - what’s over the next hill, around the bend, how will the stars look from the top of that mountain?
Thanks the magic!

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
When we were first married, my wife and I would go car camping in Scotland with a 92 Mustang GT. Once a couple kids came along, we needed a more family friendly vehicle, but still enjoyed camping, so we would visit New Mexico with a Mercedes C230. Always enjoyed the odd looks you get from people when you start pulling out tents and camping gear from the back of a car. :laughing:

Jk.Overland

Rank III

Pathfinder III

Pearl, Mississippi, United States
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hennessy
Member #

This post hits home real hard for me. I have been stuck for so long in the day to day grind that I don't get to stop (or go) and appreciate the beauty that there is in the world. I'm a teacher and my wife owns a bakery so we stay busy. Through learning about this community from a friend and buying my first vehicle I am going to use for overland trips, I have started to relax and destress from life. My wife and I have grown closer and my church life has improved!

when it comes to what we drive on a trip or when we are out exploring, it does not matter. I mean if all you have is a bike and a backpack you can still explore. "Just go and do it, don't wait for someone to hold you hand," is the best advice I have been given by a fellow overlanding friend!

DaJudge

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Mexico
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Judge
Member #

I got married while in college. My wife and I would take our 1983 Horizon all over the dirt roads of the SE US. (we lived in Gainesville, FL). Run what you brung!

Bpjr07

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Baldwin Park, CA, USA
First Name
Ramiro
Last Name
Vargas
Member #

I would overland with a 2013 dodge charger and 2016 ford fiesta if the first come first serve campsites where at capacity.

Now its a 2013 grand caravan. My under 10k budget build

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
It matters to me. I don't want to spend all weekend digging a car out, somewhere tow trucks won't go. Been there done that. It's all fun and games, until that easy peasy road gets washed out by some sudden rain or snow.

Now I use the proper vehicle for the task at hand. For me, that's a fullsize on 35's with lockers front and rear.

GBGCR4x4

Rank III

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Gianluca
Last Name
Boncompagni
I've been around with a Toyota Previa, and slept inide of it for almost two weeks. Sure, didn't get me on certain roads, but allowed me to go out and see. We did risk it once, as we got stuck literally at the edge of a lake, and getting it out was a pain and risky, but also 100% worth the adventure and excitement. One of my best trips ever.

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

A slight digression on this topic, as this had come up in a different thread over the last couple of weeks. With the seeming surge of people getting into the game (largely fueled by a pandemic and needing to get out), I think there needs to be a more frequently spoken qualifier to Michael's mantra.

It doesn't matter what you drive. BUT... it does matter that you know the capabilities of what you drive (and you).

I can't speak too much yet as I myself am totally new to this world. I'm building my rig based on a WK2 platform, so the first things I've been doing is learn the capabilities of the vehicle (which I must say are way beyond what I expected, but that's a different discussion) so that I don't put myself in a position to either a) be a burden on others by blocking trails when I get stuck, b) potentially do additional damage to trails by not understanding how to traverse them, and c) not put myself in a dangerous position by not understanding both the rig and my ability.

Like I'm sure a ton of folks before me, I started educating myself on ye olde YouTube, and one of the things I would come across surfing suggestions was people who did exactly what I'm trying to avoid. They took their stock crossover or ill-equipped SUV with street tires into an impossible situation because the dealer said it was "All Wheel Drive which means it can go anywhere!" and either blocked the trail for hours while people had to pull them out, or worse.

So it definitely doesn't matter what you drive, but it does matter how you drive it.

Reactions: ZombieCat

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

I'll second that the central concept is about vehicle-based exploring and NOT about vehicle expensing.
I think the carry-over into the highly modded vehicles is simply our love for personalization and making something unique so that not only does the trip describe us but the vehicle does too. I simply love pulling into a gas station and seeing a Civic, Van, Taco, or RV with something unique to this culture strapped or stuck to it like traction boards or travel stickers. Even if it is "posing", it's someone who wants to explore even if they logistically or financially cant very often.