Peregrine

Rank III

Advocate I

Idaho, USA
First Name
Darby
Last Name
Peregrine
Picked up a 2019 232ESP this weekend. Just started crawling over it. Figured this would be a good place to document my findings/approach so other can be better informed.

I would say it is 95% stock in mint condition. I am the 3rd owner.

Basic model with no A/C (:sweat::sweat::sweat:) But prewired should I surrender to the heat gods.

My initial goal is to dump the lead acid and go Lithium with solar. Currently on the top of the to-do list. I plan to do longer term mountain and desert camping (basecamp maybe). Not really into continual relocating. Prefer to use the feet with the pups for area exploring.

First issue is the axle. It is rated at 3000lbs based on the axle placard. The unit setup dry is 2923lbs. Add 20 gallons of water to the holding tank, approx 186lbs, and you be over the axle limit. Forget loading the quad, food, beer, ice, etc. Axle needs to be 4k-5k minimum. Need to look into this more. I did search for 232ESP user groups to chase this. Didn't really fine any.

Second issue is the propane hose routine on the under carriage. The is a propane line running under the frame rear of the wheels that make it a prime candidate to be rock crushed or ripped off. (Interesting what one can learn about what drags where by looking at all the rubs under the unit when home. Will be rerouting this through the frame. No path over the frame. Need to locate a good stiff rubber bushing to prevent any frame/pipe chafing. There are a few dangly wires which are quick no-brainer fixes,

Third issue is the bird's nest of electric brake wiring on left side of the axle. Right side is clean and neat. It's just waiting a some trail snag to "set it free". Will be cleaning up. Most likely an early Monday morning or late Friday assembly.:screamcat:

Forth issue is no clean battery cutout. May be somewhere, I am still looking. Would be great to have an exterior one. Will address. The battery negative post is a nightmare cluster, shade tree mechanic, of wires. No doubt includes some aftermarket modifications. Will look at moving most inside to a buss bar when doing a master cut switch and solar.

The unit towed fantastic. Tracked great. Including some required rapid lane changes. (Tow vehicle - Full size Chevy 2500 4x4 with large Coopers for shoes.)

More soon.

Reactions: Mtnmn99

Peregrine

Rank III

Advocate I

Idaho, USA
First Name
Darby
Last Name
Peregrine
Ordered an HQST 200W Solar kit.

Logic behind this approach is looking to mounting the panels on the factory rack rail for storage, transport and generation. Will make some legs for the panels. Should the location/season dictate I can remove the panels at the current destination and use them as portables. Included some longer wires in the order. Will move the current trailer controller to the truck. This will allow for the planned solar in the truck buildout.

Crawling around under I believe I can add an insulated false bottom to address waterpipe freezing during winter camping. More on the later. Need to noodle on the exposed fresh water holding tank.

Later