FulleMet3l

Rank 0

Contributor I

Minnesota
First Name
Heath
Last Name
Horp
I have a small handheld Ham, and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to do some teaching, via PM, text, whatever about how to set it up, and just HAM and comms in general. I was not a comms guy when I was in, and of all my skills this is probably the one I lack the most.

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Hi Fullmetal,

Looks like you have a standing offer but I'm happy to help too! I've got some experience with handhelds and mobile setups (Handheld - tiny, fit in your hand; Mobile - the kind that's mounted to your truck). I have no HAM experience with a "Shack" setup (a desktop HAM).

I wonder though -- are you curious about HAM specifically, or are you curious above Overland communications and happen to have a HAM handy? The reason I ask is that there are many methods of backcountry communication these days, and while I personally have and use HAM, there are others that are easier to get into and might fit your need better.

So I guess that's the first question: What do you feel your communication needs are?

Reactions: Prerunner1982

FulleMet3l

Rank 0

Contributor I

Minnesota
First Name
Heath
Last Name
Horp
I am curious about HAM in particular because of its widespread use and significant capabilities. I will reach out.

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

Based on your request, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you do not have a HAM license? While Setup of a radio is not really covered in the training/licensing, " HAM and comms in general " is covered and doing all the studying needed for the test should give you the base knowledge you are looking for.

RoadRunner

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mid-Atlantic region
First Name
Greg
Last Name
G.
Member #

I’m in the same spot. I’ve picked up the Ham technician license book. I found a really good YouTube channel. Search W4EEY. Ham class online. It really is worth your time.
Good luck.

Reactions: CTO1Mike

Sibetribe

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Rhameen
Last Name
Kolyani
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6CVW
I got my license using the "Ham RadioTest Prep" app. Passed easily! But now that I have my license, I still dont know how to fully accomplish my goals for Ham lol

TheBronze

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Montebello, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Washburn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GBW
Service Branch
US Army
"I got my license using the "Ham RadioTest Prep" app. Passed easily! But now that I have my license, I still dont know how to fully accomplish my goals for Ham lol"

First step is to ask yourself what you want to do with radio? For most Hams the radio is a hobby. They experiment with radio and set up operations on multiple bands. Eventually they find what "speaks" to them. I enjoy VHF/UHF operations as well as HF myself. But if you want to use radio simply for use off-road with other off-roaders then you should find out what they use and go with it.

If you are a lone-wolf that likes to travel by yourself, and view the radio as an emergency communications item, then you're probably best served obtaining a dual band (VHF/UHF) radio and establishing a list of repeaters in the areas you frequent. I'd start with a simple hand held radio like a Yaesu FT65 or similar. Stay away from digital modes until you better understand the ham community and the different system out there. Digital modes can get a bit complicated and be frustrating. I see that you are in SoCal? You have a Ham Radio Outlet very near to you. I recommend you check out the various radios there and start simple. the Yaesu FT65 is less than $100.00 and covers both 2 meter and 440 Mhz. Being in SoCal there are many systems and clubs here. You can find repeaters in your area by visiting repeater book.com or the W6JPL website that has a repeater search function. Once you find the repeaters that you can reach in the areas you go you make a list and program the radio with all the repeaters. Also, program in the simplex frequencies for both bands. For instance 146.520 in the National Calling simplex channel for 2 meters and is pretty busy in the SoCal area. 146.460 is the simplex frequency often used by off-roaders, etc.

Welcome to the ham community! Don't worry, it might seem overwhelming at first, but the basics are pretty easy and it comes fast.

B

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
1. Get your license. This will teach you the basics

2. Go to repeaterbook.com and find some local repeaters in your area. Learn how to set them up on your radio and listen. Listen ONLY until you are licensed. This will give a feel of hopefully proper HAM use.

3. Watch some YouTube videos. I don't have any specific ones but I bet there are plenty of good ones.

4. While you don't know what you don't know as they say post up some specific questions on how you want to use HAM. It is a broad based topic so being more specific helps us answer questions.

The technician license is not hard to pass. It will make you legal and give you the basics.