Island of the Overland Beasts. See also: Iceland.

• HTML tutorial

dcx13

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Francisco, CA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Horndasch
Member #

IMG_1117.JPG As a Christmas present, my girlfriend set up a trip to Iceland. She's really into Norse/Viking history, and I've always wanted to go there, so she made it happen. I knew going in that we'd be limited in areas we could access, since road conditions are entirely dependent on weather. Unlike the OB motto of "It doesn't matter what you drive," in Iceland it does matter. Unless you are on the ring road, Rt 1, or an urban area paved surface, everything else is gravel or unimproved tracks. In the highlands, if you don't have a purpose built rig, you're not getting anywhere. We were driving a Ford Kuga, an AWD crossoverish turbo diesel, with roughly the ground clearance of a Subaru Outback. Off the beaten path exploration wasn't going to happen on this trip. Fortunately, if you're planning on trekking the backcountry (which is about 90% of Iceland) there are several 4x4 rental companies. You can get every flavor of Landcruiser, HiLux, and Land Rover Defender, including the massive tire Super Defender!
During my wanderings, there were dozens of overland rigs everywhere!! I easily saw more Defender variants in 10 days, than in my entire life! Nissan Patrols, FJ70s & 80s, D100, 110 & 110Utes, E350 vans on 42's, even lifted "Arctic" Sprinter vans. It was enough to keep the head spinning.
Driving is ridiculously organized, and probably the most enjoyable place I've ever been behind a wheel! Main roads are almost always ice-free, since the geothermal transmission lines are integrated in their construction. Turn signals, 2 second follow gaps, no left lane hogs... Pure bliss! Speeds are quite reasonable as well, with a maximum 90kmh on the highways. Fuel is a bit pricey, but since diesel vehicles are plentiful, it's not like you have to fill up constantly.
A definite highlight of the trip, was finally acquiring a Neyðarkall, or "Rescueman" keychain. They're little plastic figurine representations of the Slysavarnafélagið Landsbjörg, the Icelandic Association for Search & Rescue, ICE-SAR. Each year they choose a different job to be the Rescuman Icon. During my search, I found that the 2015 Rescuman was the Truck Mechanic, complete with a spare driveshaft & "super" tire. This was the one I had to find! I stopped by the station in Reykjavik, explained what I was looking for & hoping they might have some left. The keychains are sold from Nov 5-7, as part of a national fundraising campaign to support the Landsbjörg. After a bit of searching through cabinets, a bin of assorted figures was produced, and right on top was the Truck Mechanic! Score!! I chatted for a bit with the crew members, thanked them for their efforts, and turned for the door. One of the guys stopped me, said "You should have one of these too." and handed me one of their coins! Holy Unobtainium!!
If you're looking for an amazing place to visit & explore, Iceland is where you need to go!

Last edited:

dcx13

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Francisco, CA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Horndasch
Member #