Jimmy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Duncan, OK, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5JLP
I went out to fire up the rig today, just to keep the fluids going while it's still not road worthy, and after cranking for a bit I realized there wasn't any fuel in the carb. It had been sitting for a couple of weeks, so that wasn't entirely unexpected. I put some gas in the carb, it fired up, and at that point the fuel flowed as expected. The unexpected part was that the pump didn't push any fuel to the carb.

My assumption is that the pump is too week to pull fuel at the RPMs that the starter can turn the motor, but once running the pump is moving fast enough to build and maintain the necessary fuel pressure. Does that sound about right?

I guess I should add that I'm running a stock mechanical fuel pump. Swapping it out won't be a big deal, but if I'm into the fuel system and it could be something else, I'd like to check it now. The filter and everything appear to be good to go.

Thanks!

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
The whole time I was reading this I was thinking filter. I’d change the filter before the pump any day and go from there.