Is this Coleman stove any good?

• HTML tutorial

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
Best bang for the buck, for sure. I would've like to see an ignitor on it though. We have the classic Coleman from about 25 years ago. Looks similar but unlikely is the same except for the dimensions. It's the stove we "loan" out. =)

Reactions: GLOCKer

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

Best bang for the buck, for sure. I would've like to see an ignitor on it though. We have the classic Coleman from about 25 years ago. Looks similar but unlikely is the same except for the dimensions. It's the stove we "loan" out. =)
You could probably hack an ignitor from a gas grill onto it!

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

I have a bunch of Coleman stoves, and they have never let me down. I think it will serve you just fine.

DharmaBum

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Denver, Colorado, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Sniezak
Member #

Great stove! No ignition but that just means less room for failed parts. I agree it's easy to clean, although I wouldn't trust the specs with regards to cookware fitment. I'll have an 8" skillet and a 2.5qt pot and it can feel cramped, even with the wind-gaurds at there furthest position. Not the greatest burner control so there is a learning curve for adjustments. Nevertheless a solid and reliable piece of equipment. I use mine with an LP growler to save on cost with fuel and to try and help the landfills out.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I'm considering this stove from Coleman for my camp kitchen:

It runs on 1lb gas bottles, but I will either buy refillable 1lb bottles (to save on waste and money) or use an adapter for a 20lb tank (I will have a 20lb tank on board to also power my generator).
I'm trying to kit out as good as a kitchen as I can on a LOW budget. Cooking (actually, eating) is a huge hobby of mine and I plan on writing about my experiences cooking at camp in my FoodTribe food blog.
Thanks guys!
Solid little propane dual burner. I've never been disappointed in a Coleman stove.

Retired

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Discovery Bay, CA.
First Name
CJ
Last Name
H.
Member #

I purchased a Coleman propane dual burner over 20 years ago with the click style igniter. It's never let me down, comes apart for easy cleaning. I like it better than my partner stove in my teardrop.

Reactions: GLOCKer and Downs

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
I have also had one forever, and they just run. As noted they are bit small if you use large pots but nothing terrible.

Easy to disable the burner to clear the burner tubes of small blockages -insects usually after winter storage. I carry a spare propane connector, never had to use it but I have it.

2dub

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Moyock, NC
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Workman
I didn't have the 30 years with mine some have mentioned, but I did not take the best care of it either. It was used and abused, left out in the rain, etc and it just kept on working. It didn't "need" to be replaced, but for being relatively inexpensive I would just prefer to get a new one because I've been saying it is only one more drop away from being useless. I just replaced mine after 10-12 years and actually plan on caring for it better

Reactions: Downs and GLOCKer

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
I was a gas stove guy but the last time I went camping I brought my Coleman propane stove like yours and it worked great. I think I'm a convert. At least for domestic travels.

RatAssassin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Rat
Last Name
Assassin
Member #

Piece of crap.

You may only get 30, maybe 40 years most out of it. :grinning:

ETA*
Check out some of these guys that collect the equipment and the expansive array of Coleman stuff these guys have picked up at yard sales and flea markets.
There is a Coleman Forum out there that is absolutely amazing.

As a lifelong camper from childhood, car camping with my family (now called Overlanding), backpacking, paddling trips and just general kick ass use all over the place over decades.......Coleman has a special place in the hearts of any" outdoorsperson", be it the glow of the lantern or that first smell of cowboy coffee rolling out of a pot boiling away on one of their stoves.
It's both iconic and comforting at the same time.

Last edited:

Traveler III

West Hills, Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Twomey
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I'm considering this stove from Coleman for my camp kitchen:

It runs on 1lb gas bottles, but I will either buy refillable 1lb bottles (to save on waste and money) or use an adapter for a 20lb tank (I will have a 20lb tank on board to also power my generator).
I'm trying to kit out as good as a kitchen as I can on a LOW budget. Cooking (actually, eating) is a huge hobby of mine and I plan on writing about my experiences cooking at camp in my FoodTribe food blog.
Thanks guys!
Solid little propane dual burner. I've never been disappointed in a Coleman stove.
Had my Coleman propane stove for 35 years, still going strong.

BigH2OChief

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Carmel Mountain Ranch, San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Woody
Member #

Service Branch
US Army / US Navy
Like everyone else has said... take care of it, and it will outlive us all. For mine, I even have the hose to refill 1lb Bottles from one of my 20lb cylinders. That said, I haven't used my Coleman in 5-6 years. I've been using a Camp Chef Explorer with a 5lb tank. I get heckled by my travel buddies all the time because its big, bulky, heavy, takes a bit to set up and take down. But everyone ends up cooking on my set up because its roomy & reliable. Go figure.

U

UgotWheelz

I have two Coleman's the original pump style white fuel #413 and the newer 1lb propane bottle type. Both work excellent and have bene bomb proof. My uncle has a very early Coleman I think #11 with the folding stand that was my great grandfathers still in use.

Reactions: Sparksalot