Is there any place in Colorado without a fire ban right now?

• HTML tutorial

BizzyB

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Englewood, CO 80112, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Baecker
Member #

I haven't had a campfire all season and starting to get a bit sad about it. I'm not trying to violate any fire bans, but is there anywhere that doesn't have them? I'm going to do a big trip in Ouray/Telluride/Silverton soon and I'm not sure if there's a ban there, but also looking to overland anywhere without one after that. Colorados websites are horrible for any information and often report no bans where there are bans, so I've been driving around with a bag of firewood to every camp on the off-chance there won't be a ban in place. Haven't burned any of it yet. I'd still rather dispersed camp remotely without a fire than be next to a ton of people in a campground though.

Last edited:
Reactions: K6JGA

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

Best site to go to:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I haven't had a campfire all season and starting to get a bit sad about it. I'm not trying to violate any fire bans, but is there anywhere that doesn't have them? I'm going to do a big trip in Ouray/Telluride/Silverton soon and I'm not sure if there's a ban there, but also looking to overland anywhere without one after that. Colorados websites are horrible for any information and often report no bans where there are bans, so I've been driving around with a bag of firewood to every camp on the off-chance there won't be a ban in place. Haven't burned any of it yet. I'd still rather dispersed camp remotely without a fire than be next to a ton of people in a campground though.
I've actually started to think even wanting a fire is a bad thing. I don't even want one of those propane fire ring things, admittedly I love a campfire but given the forest fire thing for the past 5 years..... I think of a campfire like driving drunk. The world moves on...... often for good reason.

BizzyB

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Englewood, CO 80112, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Baecker
Member #

Best site to go to:
That's exactly the site I was referring to that is often completely wrong. They didn't even have the statewide USFS and BLM ban due to COVID earlier this season...and I don't mean delayed information either. It never showed up even after months and I had to do some serious digging to find the order that put it in place. You can't trust this site and ranger stations/districts aren't currently answering their phones due to the pandemic. It is kind of sad how badly our public lands are managed and how hard it is for even well-meaning citizens to get information. Though I guess it shouldn't be surprising given our government's budget and lack of prioritization for them vs other things.

BizzyB

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Englewood, CO 80112, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Baecker
Member #

I've actually started to think even wanting a fire is a bad thing. I don't even want one of those propane fire ring things, admittedly I love a campfire but given the forest fire thing for the past 5 years..... I think of a campfire like driving drunk. The world moves on...... often for good reason.
I think this is a sad outlook. I completely get the forest fire thing. I even had to evacuate my girlfriend's parents recently due to a fire that almost took out their neighborhood. However, there's definitely a way to have a campfire responsibly without causing a forest fire. Just like winching can kill you if you don't know what you're doing. Unfortunately not everyone can be trusted so I get the need for fire bans. I will never feel guilty for wanting a campfire though, and I don't think it's remotely the same as driving drunk (unless you're building campfires while wasted).

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
As has been stated, the States in the West have become very skittish about wildfires. So many, and so many of them BIG. The $$$$ amount of damage is crazy. That Paridice town fire, where the town was burned to the ground, and many were trapped trying to escape, has rammed home, that fire season lasts as soon as snow melts in the spring, and the grace period before the next fall is now gone. Cause comes second to whatever caused the fire, because in the scope of things, whether it's man, lightning, or power lines, the damage done, is what is remembered.

Reactions: Boss Scott

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

We took a drive up to Cottonwood lake, Saturday, wanted to check it out for future kayaking and camping. We visited the camp ground and it was ok it designated campground fire rings but everywhere dispersed camping there was no fires permitted. Camp host had his supply of fire wood for sale.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Do some checking, A fire ban can mean anything from no open flames at all, all the way to a propane fire ring is ok, to fires in established fire rings only.