Is there an inflatable mattress for the back of my 4Runner?

• HTML tutorial

Derrek Bowen

Rank 0

Traveler I

I have a 1998 T4R and my girlfriend and I are looking to camp more often and were looking into sleeping arrangements. Are there any inflatable beds out there thatg are for specifically for the back area of my runner?

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Look at the self inflating air pads also. They can be really comfortable, pack smallish, and they don't need to be as thick, which gives you more head room. An Alps mountaineering comfort series pad is a good example. I have a few of those. They pack larger than the backpacking ones, but that is good because a lot of those are not that comfy.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Look at the self inflating air pads also. They can be really comfortable, pack smallish, and they don't need to be as thick, which gives you more head room. An Alps mountaineering comfort series pad is a good example. I have a few of those. They pack larger than the backpacking ones, but that is good because a lot of those are not that comfy.
This what I used for our 4Runner on the platform I built before going to an 4TH. Two set nicely side by side.

Sent from my SM-G920V using OB Talk mobile app

JersT4R

Rank V
Investor

Traveler III

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Bailey
Member #

@Derrek Bowen

I like my https://www.klymit.com/double-v-sleeping-pad.html for the back of my truck. I've not tried it in the 4Runner yet. Pumps up quick with the stuff sack as the bellows. and weighs less than 3 lbs.

Boort
I've read a bunch of the Customer Reviews on Amazon. It looks like a lot of people like them, and the others complain of the Klymit pads deflating overnight. What's your experience? Do you think most issues could be due to people not using the valve properly?

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I've read a bunch of the Customer Reviews on Amazon. It looks like a lot of people like them, and the others complain of the Klymit pads deflating overnight. What's your experience? Do you think most issues could be due to people not using the valve properly?
@JersT4R

So far, I've never woken up on the ground. I have had it get softer and harder as the temp changes. But that is kinda a law of physics and not anything I can hold against the pad. When I first got it the valves were really hard to turn to lock so it could be that they did not get it fully locked. When I did that the deflate was nearly immediate once I laid on it. Paying attn to make sure it "clicked" over and I've not had the problem since.

Boort

Reactions: JersT4R