Is there a company that makes low Profile Silverado bed rack for RTT and gear?

• HTML tutorial

Traveler I

Oregon
I know I’m limited with products and companies that manufacture overland parts for a full size truck but does anyone know of a company that makes a low profile rack for the bed? Everything I find has the rack that almost comes up to the roof.

SLPNBG

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mechanicsville, Va
Member #

I went with Hot Metal Fab. Very sturdy and universal fit, because I'm not sure how long I'll have this truck. Also Half the price!! You'll need to paint it. I did mine with spray on bed liner.

They can make it with as much rise as you want.

Reactions: ToyotaGirl76

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

If you are a DIY'er, check this out. It's probably the easiest, cheapest, and sturdiest option that you can do. Doesn't allow for much modularity, but it will keep you low profile.

Reactions: aaaslayer

ToyotaGirl76

Rank 0

Traveler I

Indiana
I went with Hot Metal Fab. Very sturdy and universal fit, because I'm not sure how long I'll have this truck. Also Half the price!! You'll need to paint it. I did mine with spray on bed liner.

They can make it with as much rise as you want.
I went with them too, I like universal aspect as well as the tubular look I like!

Reactions: SLPNBG

aaaslayer

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Chino, CA
If you are a DIY'er, check this out. It's probably the easiest, cheapest, and sturdiest option that you can do. Doesn't allow for much modularity, but it will keep you low profile.

Thumbs up on this idea. I did this too. Excellent quick fix and super cheap. I am going to build my own however, that's slightly raised for gear attachment points on the side. It is soooo much cheaper to just visit a metal yard and buy your material there, and weld up your own. These rack companies are charging a ton of money when you can get a decent MIG welder and the material for a lot lot less than the cost of an actual $1000+ dollar rack. You can build yourself something extremely durable and nice for around $300 if you have a welder already. A decent MIG welder is about $300-500. Hell you can even go with a MIG from Harbor Freight for $250.

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Thumbs up on this idea. I did this too. Excellent quick fix and super cheap. I am going to build my own however, that's slightly raised for gear attachment points on the side. It is soooo much cheaper to just visit a metal yard and buy your material there, and weld up your own. These rack companies are charging a ton of money when you can get a decent MIG welder and the material for a lot lot less than the cost of an actual $1000+ dollar rack. You can build yourself something extremely durable and nice for around $300 if you have a welder already. A decent MIG welder is about $300-500. Hell you can even go with a MIG from Harbor Freight for $250.
Agreed. I'm going to take up welding just for this purpose, with the goal of creating an integrated roof and bed rack.

With that said, I've had local fabricators build me a rack in the past for about $400. It all depends on what solution you're looking for.

Reactions: aaaslayer

aaaslayer

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Chino, CA
Agreed. I'm going to take up welding just for this purpose, with the goal of creating an integrated roof and bed rack.

With that said, I've had local fabricators build me a rack in the past for about $400. It all depends on what solution you're looking for.

I learned through Youtube videos. Self taught. With a welder, you can also do other neat projects for your home or just really cool DIY stuff. It's a great useful trade/hobby. And it really isn't that difficult. If you think about it, you buy a MIG setup, and some material, and you'll spend less to build your own rack to your liking and needs. And at the end you save money, have a custom rack, and you get to keep a welder for other projects. Make yourself sliders, a roof rack, custom fabricate your own mounts for attachments. Make outdoor furniture, gates for your home, you can do so much with a welder and it is fun. Weld up exhausts, gusset your axles, etc etc.

Reactions: Fortis Overland