Is the term "overland" being misused/abused?

• HTML tutorial
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

I thought it was beautiful that @Michael decided to address this thread at the beginning of his live broadcast yesterday.
And personally, from this point on I am ignoring anything the OP of this thread ever has to say. I have no patience for nitwits and fools, and to be honest, he is the exact kind of person I bought and built my truck to escape from. Before I ever even knew there was such a thing called "overlanding". I am a member of Overland Bound to learn about and discuss overlanding, and things related, not someones BS personal political agenda.

flex

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tulare, California, United States
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Army
It can only be overlanding if it is done with a 87 disco with 31" tires or smaller (any bigger and your just a dumb 4 wheeler). Your tires can never touch pavement (because then you are just a soccer mom). If you do have to cross pavement you must carry a bag of dirt to lay down in your path!

SNARK TRANSLATION = this is a sad pathetic thread from people who want to be "special".

Threads like this pop up on pretty much every forum group, and what it generally means is that there will soon be a split. Those that wish to be special and exclusive will peel off and only play with those that they approve of. Generally it lasts a very short time because, even in their small selective group, some will still what to be special and be viewed as superior to the rest.

Sad, just sad. Feel free to flame as it will only act to further my point.
Ditto! Who gives anyone the right to define & determine what Overlanding is. His points aren't even valid.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

flex

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tulare, California, United States
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Army
Well dude. I guess you are the man then. A REAL by god overlander. The rest of us are just a spec of flyshit on your shoe.
And I would never have guessed in a million years you came from a world of "regulation" (that was sarcasm) , seeing as how YOU want to decide what is and isn't something. No, on the contrary it is quit evident.
And as for the guy that "cut up your pristine jeep" well, he paid his money, it is his to do with as he wishes. Don't see how YOU were ripped off. It isn't yours anymore. You got paid, right? Maybe his plan WAS to keep that jeep pristine. But maybe he changed his mind. Its his jeep, he can do with it as he wishes.
And as to the guy that gets the trails closed due to his actions, well you are the kind of person that is in the vast govt. bureaucracy that is closing down the trails. The person who decides they don't like what others are doing and want to dictate to others what to do, when to do it, and where to do it. You are the regulations guy that wants to regulate everything you don't personally like out of existence.
Now you want to regulate the forum and overlanding.
Jeez.
Im tired of people who want to force THEIR personal opinions, agendas, and regulations on me.
I guess Im not a real overlander, Im just a guy that wants to jump in his truck and get far far far away from people who want to control and regulate as possible.
I couldn't agree more. [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

This may not be a popular viewpoint, but criticizing people's interpretation of 'overlanding' sounds a bit arrogant. It's as if you're saying, "It's not 'overlanding' unless it's how I would do it. And those people just don't qualify to be in MY category of adventurer". Let people call whatever they do whatever they want. Being offended by it is only a symptom of insecurity. If someone wants to call a road trip on pavement 'over landing', why should I care? It sounds like some people are only concerned with protecting THEIR reputation of being a TRUE overlander. I don't get that.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

Does it really, ACTUALLY matter...? End of the day, the adventure is the goal. Whether it's home to the pillows or bed in the tent, vehicle based travel is what we do.

So after consideration, I have to say I change my previous sentiment of agreeing with you, to more of a "were all Overlanders in reality" kind of mind set...so, does it really MATTER if the adventure is the ultimate goal?
It's about having your rig take you somewhere fun. It's all about the adventure. Who gives a crap what it's called? I just call it having fun. Everyone else can call it whatever the F they want. Some people get so caught up in it all...

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

My view of "over landing" Has came down to just getting out of the city. I built my jeep to get me to cool places be that camping,climbing, disc golf, 4x4, camping, etc. What is different for me is I don't focus on the difficult terrain (4x4) I enjoy the trip and the scenery. The way we will keep trails open is become one as outdoor enthusiast. We all cross over some. I can have fun on a hard 4x4 trail with 4x4 types and I can also have fun on a fire road in 2wd to do some fishing and camping. Travel is great but I don't get to as much as I would like. I joined overland bound not to be in a elite category I just fit in better with outdoor types with vehicles to get there/stay a bit.
Yup.

Reactions: Rubiconcruiser

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

The Europe point of view;

Border, and less open country will make our Overlanding life more difficult.
We cant do wild camping here in the Netherlands, and in other countries of Europe it is not much better.
But!!!!!
If we explore every inch of what we have and are allowed to drive (in a respectfull way/Thread Lightly) we are Overlanders.
Because it aint the destiny what counts, its the journey.

Overlanders was and is for some people, all over the world a special class of people. They are the elite. Well let them.
Kavika1991 once said.
You are only an Overlander when you are on the trip. Not before, not after. And the trip should be self supporting in as many ways as possible.
Well, if you go on a trip of a year, with a special truck/Rig or whatever vehicle, and after that you will never go again. You are not longer an Overlander.
You were an Overlander.
But!!
To my opinion, personal and with the European mindset in mind.
As long as you are going out there, where ever you can go, and explore and enjoy the outdoor life with your vehicle. Short, long, close or far away, you are an Overlander.
You life the Overlanding life.
Because it aint given to everyone to leave all behind for a year, a month, or a lifetime.

I consider myself an Overlander. And I know that a group of Overlanders (old definition) would think different.
Why?
Because every moment I can Iam in the outdoor. Driving my car/Rig through nature where ever I can/allowed to.
Do camping, wild, semi wild or just camping.

And if someone says to me Iam not an Overlander, well, that is his/her point of view.
Michael started this Forum, this thought and it is good. Who cares what other people say, think or do.
As long as you do the right thing, traveling in a respectful way, it is fine.
And if you go out for a day, a minute, a month or whatever, it doesnt matter, it is the thought and the way of mindset that counts.

I travel in Europe. Distances in Europe are shorter as in Australia or the USA, or actually shorter to the rest of the world.
I travel to Morocco. I try to go where ever I like.
And I find happiness close to home and far away.

But most of all, I find happiness in this forum, started by Michael and Corrie. And I was and still am one of the first people to join them, and that because I found the thought of them the same as mine.
And as long as this will last, I will tell people about this great community and spread the word.

And all who cant coop with that. Well, just dont care. They do their thing, I will do mine.

Greetings from Robert
The Netherlands/ Europe.

Doug C

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jasper, Georgia, USA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Camara
Member #

I thought it was beautiful that @Michael decided to address this thread at the beginning of his live broadcast yesterday.
And personally, from this point on I am ignoring anything the OP of this thread ever has to say. I have no patience for nitwits and fools, and to be honest, he is the exact kind of person I bought and built my truck to escape from. Before I ever even knew there was such a thing called "overlanding". I am a member of Overland Bound to learn about and discuss overlanding, and things related, not someones BS personal political agenda.
Couldn't agree more. I joined for the same reasons you did and for the most part that has been my experience. I really hate it when threads like this turn people against each other. I have always found threads here to be respectful of everyone's opinions, but not in this case. We all have our own opinions so let's end this thread whether you agree or agree to disagree.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Im going to bag a c10 and call it an overland rig just to piss everyone off:fearscream::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Seriously let's close this thread. It's gotten ugly.
But an olive branch .I wager we have lots of common interests. I would say most on here (forums)respect and wish to protect the outdoors. There will always be people who don't care. And when everything is closed, they will still go out and tear things up but there will be no groups to help clean and repair trails or camps. Or come to aid in outdoor repair.
Are opinions of one another do matter. Your not digging what i do? Hit me up, let me know what your not liking. Maybe you are seeing things out of context. My idea of outdoor activity may differ from yours ,no biggie come along check it out . People acting foolish speak up. But lets not stand on the sides and shake our heads at each other, we are the only ones that end up losing. Labeling a group by what might be perceived as a wild bunch who's probably going to rut up roads will anger some. That same group may not be doing any of those things at the same time are working at preserving the land and trails . So you can see where some lashing out may stem from.

Regardless of what you call yourself we are all lumped into a group together. If you use and enjoy a vehicle for off-road or on Road travel, camping , 4wheeling you are in this group. Dirt or quad or side by side, your in here too.

The point I'm getting at is here in California and I'm sure other states, it's is a constant battle to keep trails, ohv parks or just simple dirt roads open. The people that strive day and night to keep these areas closed and want future closures do not differentiate between us. Instead of fighting amongst ourselves we should be fighting with those that want to take away regardless of the size of your tires or how lightly you tread.

Honestly if we had this talk around a camp fire this would have most likely not gotten ugly and and most likely would have had a story of the areas of the beautiful scenery we have witnessed only further strengthing the importance of preserving what we have for future generations .

Sorry for kumbyyah horseshit

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

Im going to bag a c10 and call it an overland rig just to piss everyone off:fearscream::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Seriously let's close this thread. It's gotten ugly.
But an olive branch .I wager we have lots of common interests. I would say most on here (forums)respect and wish to protect the outdoors. There will always be people who don't care. And when everything is closed, they will still go out and tear things up but there will be no groups to help clean and repair trails or camps. Or come to aid in outdoor repair.
Are opinions of one another do matter. Your not digging what i do? Hit me up, let me know what your not liking. Maybe you are seeing things out of context. My idea of outdoor activity may differ from yours ,no biggie come along check it out . People acting foolish speak up. But lets not stand on the sides and shake our heads at each other, we are the only ones that end up losing. Labeling a group by what might be perceived as a wild bunch who's probably going to rut up roads will anger some. That same group may not be doing any of those things at the same time are working at preserving the land and trails . So you can see where some lashing out may stem from.

Regardless of what you call yourself we are all lumped into a group together. If you use and enjoy a vehicle for off-road or on Road travel, camping , 4wheeling you are in this group. Dirt or quad or side by side, your in here too.

The point I'm getting at is here in California and I'm sure other states, it's is a constant battle to keep trails, ohv parks or just simple dirt roads open. The people that strive day and night to keep these areas closed and want future closures do not differentiate between us. Instead of fighting amongst ourselves we should be fighting with those that want to take away regardless of the size of your tires or how lightly you tread.

Honestly if we had this talk around a camp fire this would have most likely not gotten ugly and and most likely would have had a story of the areas of the beautiful scenery we have witnessed only further strengthing the importance of preserving what we have for future generations .

Sorry for kumbyyah horseshit
You're ok no issues from the front

Status
Not open for further replies.