Is the Garmin Overlander better than a tablet and app?

• HTML tutorial

Contributor III

Manahawkin, Stafford Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Luis
Last Name
Davila
Member #

Blue Ridge overland gear put out a youtube video a day or so ago about it. I have both but stick w/ the garmin. It's just easier. And let's face it, we're in NJ. We're never far from a road regardless of where we go. :) I can be found down near the inlet on most weekends but def. let me know if your going.
Eric, I suspect that Garmin will introduce more updates in there software and it will be a little more advanced than today. But you right, its a all inclusive package and I love the magnetic mount system.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

How do you have all that mounted, trying to decide how to mount a tablet in my Tacoma.
Tablet is mounted with this:

Then I used RAM Mounts tab tite mount and a 1" ball.

The Garmin is drilled into the accessory blanks and hard wired. If you need better pics I can go out and take some. Just let me know.

Stranger45

Rank I

Enthusiast I

TN
First Name
Johnnie
Last Name
Hurst
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4VID
Tablet is mounted with this:

Then I used RAM Mounts tab tite mount and a 1" ball.

The Garmin is drilled into the accessory blanks and hard wired. If you need better pics I can go out and take some. Just let me know.
Do you know if this will work with a 2013 Tacoma?

DocMartin

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Ocala, FL, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04IKI
I recently downloaded Gaia and got the premium membership. So far what I've seen is very cool. The vehicle maps just in the Ocala National Forest is amazing. I will probably get a cellular ipad and use that as my eyes like a larger screen now-a-days. LOL

Stranger45

Rank I

Enthusiast I

TN
First Name
Johnnie
Last Name
Hurst
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4VID

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Do you know if it will work on the left side? I was thinking about one of these.

It wedges between your climate controls and the outer trim. So no, I think only the right side. The thing you linked to is insane. Maybe good for you. I've seen them but never considered one. I think it's over the top.

Stranger45

Rank I

Enthusiast I

TN
First Name
Johnnie
Last Name
Hurst
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4VID
Y
It wedges between your climate controls and the outer trim. So no, I think only the right side. The thing you linked to is insane. Maybe good for you. I've seen them but never considered one. I think it's over the top.
Yes, it is over the top, but about the best I could find other than custom made ones that are no longer in production.

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
I just purchased the Garmin InReach Explorer+ & the Garmin Overlander. Although I cleaned out my reserve bank account to do so, I really hope this combo will work for me...

Last edited:
Reactions: MIW71

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

Can you install (sideload) the Google Play Store? That would give you additional functionality for non-car use - reading, music, etc. I did this on all my Amazon tablets and it is pretty easy to do there. Just download and install 4 files.

I like the HW and if Garmin came out with a better screen (at least a regular full HD resolution) it would be a nice package.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Can you install (sideload) the Google Play Store? That would give you additional functionality for non-car use - reading, music, etc. I did this on all my Amazon tablets and it is pretty easy to do there. Just download and install 4 files.

I like the HW and if Garmin came out with a better screen (at least a regular full HD resolution) it would be a nice package.

Reactions: Rolando