Is the Garmin Overlander better than a tablet and app?

• HTML tutorial

AlanMcW

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
First Name
Alan
Last Name
McWilliams
My apologies if this has been discussed already, I don't think I've mastered the search tool yet, but is there any real advantage to having the Garmin Overlander as opposed to using a tablet and app set up. I use an android tablet with Hema Explorer app (Australia) in conjunction with paper maps. Any thoughts? A local GPS store has a sale special of the Garmin Overlander at approx US$525 (AUS$850) which is a very tempting price.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Multiple reviews show Gaia and tablet is the way to go. W/ that said, I went with the overlander. It's mounted, hard wired, and always there for me to use quickly. There's some features on it I really like a lot. Like the history features which shows you historical sites like battlefields and such just by hitting a button. Kevin @Lifestyle Overland did a great youtube video on it. I've used both. I see the value in Gaia but the garmin is just fun to mess with.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
A tablet is going to give you more options than a single purpose device. I use my iPad to navigate (with multiple apps), listen to tunes and make phone calls. If some new nav, or other, app is better than what I am using then I can get it, not so much for a single purpose device. When following a dirt road I'm typically in Gaia, going through some unknown town I'm in Apple maps for its turn-by-turn - leave them both running and finger swipe between them all. I can also take the iPad inside and watch a movie or read a book or the news.

Not knocking Garmin at all, I love them! I have a lot of older Garmin devices collecting dust since the new iPad.

Note: non-cellular iPads do not have a built in GPS. For the best accuracy possible get a cellular version with GPS (you don't have to have a cellular plan)

AlanMcW

Rank II

Enthusiast III

First Name
Alan
Last Name
McWilliams
HI Greg, thanks for this. I have an android tablet with the Hema Explorer app plus the on-road iGO GPS on my in-dash stereo head unit, so it seems similar to how you navigate. I'm not completely unhappy with my current set up, but the new gadget appeal is strong with the Garmin Overlander. I looked up the YouTube review recommended by Diabetiktaco and I am still undecided, but leaning even more towards the Garmin. If the Garmin did turn-by-turn with the off road maps I think I'd be sold. Mobile phone (cell phone) cover pretty well disappears a couple of hours drive out of most Australian population centers - with the exception of major interstate roads and remote communities - anything that needs a phone connection is not very useful.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
HI Greg, thanks for this. I have an android tablet with the Hema Explorer app plus the on-road iGO GPS on my in-dash stereo head unit, so it seems similar to how you navigate. I'm not completely unhappy with my current set up, but the new gadget appeal is strong with the Garmin Overlander. I looked up the YouTube review recommended by Diabetiktaco and I am still undecided, but leaning even more towards the Garmin. If the Garmin did turn-by-turn with the off road maps I think I'd be sold. Mobile phone (cell phone) cover pretty well disappears a couple of hours drive out of most Australian population centers - with the exception of major interstate roads and remote communities - anything that needs a phone connection is not very useful.
An Aussie! I enjoy some of the Aussie YouTube channels (All 4 Adventure, 4WD Action) - oh how I'd love to go do some runs with you all!

My setup does not require cell coverage as I download maps early. If I have it phone calls are a possibility.

By all means if a new toy is in your budget then go for it! I started looking at that $2K Alpine JK nav/stereo unit until I realized that for half the price I could get something better, larger and I could take it in the house with me. Current stereo has bluetooth and that is good enough to hook up with the iPad for tunes, phone calls, etc. And I'm never on the phone in the dirt, but the ~12 pavement drives that I do to meet up with my group does leave a little time (and coverage) for phone calls. Honey I'm still alive, as of right now ;)

I believe 4WD Action uses a single purpose Hema device? Looked for these one time but either could not find in the US or the map coverage lacked, don't remember. Should go check it out on the iPad as well if it is available there.

AlanMcW

Rank II

Enthusiast III

First Name
Alan
Last Name
McWilliams
Hi Greg, I believe the Hema device (Hema HX1) is actually an android tablet that has been locked to the Hema cloud network for map updates. It has a few bells and whistles but is really not much better than using their maps on an android or apple tablet. Hema is probably the most reliable source of off road maps in Australia - paper and digital - and I think they have recently made a move into the US market as well. The trips here in Oz can be pretty epic, and those guys you mention get to some of the best spots. On the other hand, I'm looking at places like Utah, California, Washington State and Alaska and trying to work out if I can afford to get the Landcruiser over there. Maybe after I retire.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Hi Greg, I believe the Hema device (Hema HX1) is actually an android tablet that has been locked to the Hema cloud network for map updates. It has a few bells and whistles but is really not much better than using their maps on an android or apple tablet. Hema is probably the most reliable source of off road maps in Australia - paper and digital - and I think they have recently made a move into the US market as well. The trips here in Oz can be pretty epic, and those guys you mention get to some of the best spots. On the other hand, I'm looking at places like Utah, California, Washington State and Alaska and trying to work out if I can afford to get the Landcruiser over there. Maybe after I retire.
When you make it to the W Coast of the US please let me know, would love to hit a track or hoist a brew or both ;) I’m in Seattle Washington area and overland throughout Washington, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon. Would love to show you around if that works! The run up the AlCan is epic; we did it on fat street bikes when we were younger men - highly highly recommended.

When I started paying attention to Aussie Overlanding scene you all were light years ahead of us in the US! I got much inspiration to watching how you all did it, your gear, etc. Learned a lot from Ronnie Dahl! I am very glad to see that we are catching up because you all have nailed it!

Stay well!

Reactions: M Rose

AlanMcW

Rank II

Enthusiast III

First Name
Alan
Last Name
McWilliams
Hi Jorge, I'm not familiar with Gaia, but I think the equivalent here is Hema Explorer Hema Explorer 4WD Map App - Hema Maps Hema has been perhaps the most reliable and comprehensive supplier here for quite some time. I see they are moving into the US market now. I use a 10 inch Samsung android tablet which has GPS built in, we pair the tablet with the Garmin inreach as well.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Hi Jorge, I'm not familiar with Gaia, but I think the equivalent here is Hema Explorer Hema Explorer 4WD Map App - Hema Maps Hema has been perhaps the most reliable and comprehensive supplier here for quite some time. I see they are moving into the US market now. I use a 10 inch Samsung android tablet which has GPS built in, we pair the tablet with the Garmin inreach as well.
Gaia is very popular in the US, tablet based nav app, probably market leader. Free app but you pay for more/better maps. Go check it out! Just found Hema on the Apple Store and bought the NA version. Excited to give it a try! Been watching Shauno and Graham use theirs ;)

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Hahaha! Thanks for the reminder - totally forgot I got Hema NA last night! Well now I have something to do ;)

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Don’t know what the map differences are for US and AUS in Gaia premium, but I use premium plan here to get at all kinds of map goodness.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Just started up Hema and it feels like I am in Gaia. Feels like the same app!

AlanMcW

Rank II

Enthusiast III

First Name
Alan
Last Name
McWilliams
Looks neat and effective. I'd have to mount things away from the transmission tunnel though or I'd be slapping the screens with the gear lever. My old Landcruiser never had an auto box option.

AlanMcW

Rank II

Enthusiast III

First Name
Alan
Last Name
McWilliams
G'Day, after all things are considered I think I can (reluctantly) live without the Garmin. Thanks for the comments, they were all very helpful. I guess I can put the $$$ to a better use - I've been thinking all summer that I should fit an intercooler fan. When the sun gets up and the temperature gets over 30 (that's about 86 in the USA) the intercooler can't cope at low speeds and the engine management system starts to reduce fuel flow. Having the intercooler on top of the engine doesn't help matters, but it is hard to see where else it could be put.