jmm11116

Rank 0

Contributor I

Santa Rosa Beach, FL
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Miller
I have a stock 07 F-150, 4x4, crew cab, extended bed with a little cosmetic damage and around 180,000 miles. I was looking at getting a new to me truck to take my family camping out of as well as take it on 6-12 hour road trips to go to shooting competitions but I figured that I may be better off taking that money and pouring it into the F-150 (it's slightly sentimental so I'm going to be keeping the truck regardless). My question is, is it worth pouring the money into it to redo the engine, fix the body damage, etc.? The truck is already paid off so that's a plus and I like the large size to carry everything I could possibly need. I'm aware that the 04-08 generation of F-150s have issues with the cam phasers, tensioners, spark plugs, etc. and those are the problems that I am probably going to fix anyway sense I am going to be keeping the truck. Some of my questions come from if the 4 wheel drive system is good in the truck and other things that an offroad novice is clueless to. I appreciate any answers!

jmm11116

Rank 0

Contributor I

Santa Rosa Beach, FL
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Miller
absolutely. if its a good reliable vehicle i dont see why not.
Thanks for the reply!
That's what I'm thinking but I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with that generation or knows anything about the truck that I'm not aware of. Things that may be basic to the experienced user but not to me. Like locking differentials or other offroad type items that I need to be away of.

jmm11116

Rank 0

Contributor I

Santa Rosa Beach, FL
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Miller
Only 180k? You’re just completing the pre-preliminary break in period.
haha I hope so! I've been having issues out of it. I've had to have someone replace the spark plugs and coil overs a couple times, but I took it to a shop that charges a lot and seems to be pretty shady about what they actually do to the truck. I keep going back to them because they offer everything under warranty though and other than laziness or hoping that things don't keep breaking, I don't see the benefit to them to keep doing subpar work. I also need to switch out the timing chain tensioner and I'm going to go ahead and try to get my new mechanic to "bulletproof" it while he is in there.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
haha I hope so! I've been having issues out of it. I've had to have someone replace the spark plugs and coil overs a couple times, but I took it to a shop that charges a lot and seems to be pretty shady about what they actually do to the truck. I keep going back to them because they offer everything under warranty though and other than laziness or hoping that things don't keep breaking, I don't see the benefit to them to keep doing subpar work. I also need to switch out the timing chain tensioner and I'm going to go ahead and try to get my new mechanic to "bulletproof" it while he is in there.
At some point your time and the loss of use of your rig while they’re “fixing” it outweig the warranty. Go elsewhere. Check the member map on the website, there may be a shop already shown that a member added after good experience. I’ve done that in my area with the shop I use.

Reactions: jmm11116

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
If I had a brain and money, I would build a separate vehicle for overlanding/long trips and keep the 07 for 'truck' chores. The main reason I converted my old truck to a bug out / overland rig is because it only had 99k miles when I started my journey.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Jaytperry89

Rank VII
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Idaho Falls, ID, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Perry
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I had an 05 f150 with the 5.4 in it before I bought my raptor. I never had the spark plug issues, but ive heard horror stories about it. 150 bucks a plug if they break off. I did have a vacuum issue with the hubs. Replaced the iwe silinoid on the firewall and it fixed that issue. Id say keep it and overland it

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
absolutely worth it, especially if you are going to keep it anyway. The biggest difference you'd get from upgrading honestly will be getting the 6 speed trans instead of the 4 speed and your gas mileage would significantly improve. Aside from that though, instead of dumping the money on a car payment/down payment, put it into maintenance and repair. Most new vehicles all have their share of headaches as well. And from what it sounds like, you need to find a good new shop ASAP.

Trad77

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lander, WY, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Hoard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0MUD
I have a stock 07 F-150, 4x4, crew cab, extended bed with a little cosmetic damage and around 180,000 miles. I was looking at getting a new to me truck to take my family camping out of as well as take it on 6-12 hour road trips to go to shooting competitions but I figured that I may be better off taking that money and pouring it into the F-150 (it's slightly sentimental so I'm going to be keeping the truck regardless). My question is, is it worth pouring the money into it to redo the engine, fix the body damage, etc.? The truck is already paid off so that's a plus and I like the large size to carry everything I could possibly need. I'm aware that the 04-08 generation of F-150s have issues with the cam phasers, tensioners, spark plugs, etc. and those are the problems that I am probably going to fix anyway sense I am going to be keeping the truck. Some of my questions come from if the 4 wheel drive system is good in the truck and other things that an offroad novice is clueless to. I appreciate any answers!
Absolutely! Turning a Honda Civic to an overland rig is worth it too. Anything that is reliable is worth it. Just do what it takes to get out there and explore.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Learn to turn a wrench, you won't get ripped off anymore and if you screw something up then you know who to blame. If your truck gets you where you want and back then its fine unless you really want something else, we can't really make that decision for you all we can do is interject our personal overlanding ideals upon you. We can tell you what we'd do or what we'd buy but in the end all that don't matter you may not have the $$$ or know how we don't know.

Contributor I

Durham, NC, USA
First Name
Brentley
Last Name
Cobb
Member #

TLDR: 4wd is only okay IMO, but lots of other benefits. Start small on mods. Watch weight. Once reliability goes, time to move away from the 2004-2008 5.4 models.

I've got an 08 XLT with the super crew cab and 6.5 bed. It's paid off, and I have started to slowly upgrade and modify for my adventure uses. While I have a love/ hate relationship with my rig, it hasn't been too bad maintenance and repair-wise (i loath those spark plugs/ coil packs, however). I decided not to go with a new truck, and so far, it's freed up the family budget for more adventures. I will say that the 4wd is only okay (I've got a lot of weight now with the camper shell, platform, sliding shelves, and gear/ food/ water for a family of 5). But I'm okay limiting my off-roading for more family-friendly adventures. A friend has a new Tacoma, and I will say his 4wd is waaaaay better than mine, but when it comes to space and comfort and car payment size, the old f150 is better. I will also note that they make a lot more Overlanding accessories/ mods for the Tacoma, and you have to get a bit creative to personalize your setup in the 04-08 F150 models. But that is actually the fun part--making your own Frankenstein-150.

Overall, my issues haven't led me to abandon the 08 yet, but once the costs start competing with what a car payment would, I'll probably bite the bullet.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
To the OP, if you really want a new truck, I’m looking for an 04-08 F series to pull the drive train out of for my Bronco.

John Levers

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Unity Maine
First Name
John
Last Name
Levers
Member #

Service Branch
Fire Service
Yes it is. My last rig was a 2006 F150 FX4 with a cap on it with little to no mods and ran that for about 6 years. Before I bought my new Rig

OutdoorTxs

Rank IV

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Sol
Member #

I dont see why not. If your going to fix it anyway, then no reason no to. You know your truck.

I just picked up an 05 FX4 to build out for my overland rig. I wasnt aware of the 5.4 issues until after i bought it, so Im preparing to just get a rebuilt engine. I plan on keeping the truck for 5-10 years so, Im ok with it.

So far Ive added wheels/tires and a leveling kit. ARE Topper and bumpers are on the list (after the engine of course LOL)

1599063655816.png