East Bend
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04ACI
So this comes out EVERY time we go camping. I LOVE my sparkling water and am partial to the LaCroix brand. We usually have a case of them, along with Diet Dr. Pepper for wifey and a few Sprite Zeros for our daughter. As soon as I pull one from the fridge there's an immediate "OMG you drink those things. That's like drinking hairspray" *insert eyeroll*

Soooooo, what are ya'lls opinions on it and what are your go to camp drinks? Anything you bring camping you don't normally drink when not on the trails? Sometimes I'll grab some A&W rootbeers and throw in there as well. Brings back childhood memories.

As always,
Happy Trails!
-BABE

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i hate the taste, but the wife loves them. we were in montrose, co a few weeks ago and she found another brand of the seltzer at a health food place there and raved how good they were. my oldest came home from college a couple weeks ago and was drinking the budweiser alcoholic seltzer. i thought they were equally nasty.

i remember back in my navy days one of my buddies drank gin and tonic. i tried it and hated the tonic...tonic has quinine in it and that is what has a nasty after taste to me. not sure if the lacroix has quinine in it, but it sure seems to have that same kind of aftertaste to it. i wish i liked them...they are very light and refreshing, otherwise.

i just drink plain ole boring water....but yeah, the seltzers are getting very popular and probably better for you than colas

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I keep a variety of drinks on hand. Picked up a case of Cotsco's Kirkland zero sugar fruit flavored sparkling water a while back and it was different but refreshing. Also, some of the Bai anti-oxidant drinks, good old orange sodas, the occasional V-8 also hits the spot. Sometimes a ginger ale tastes good but there is always some water in the cooler for when you are in the heat and sweating a lot. I get a sugar free black cherry soda from Kroger that's good too. Yeah, I'm all over the map.

Reactions: BigBlueOx_TRD

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
i hate the taste, but the wife loves them. we were in montrose, co a few weeks ago and she found another brand of the seltzer at a health food place there and raved how good they were. my oldest came home from college a couple weeks ago and was drinking the budweiser alcoholic seltzer. i thought they were equally nasty.

i remember back in my navy days one of my buddies drank gin and tonic. i tried it and hated the tonic...tonic has quinine in it and that is what has a nasty after taste to me. not sure if the lacroix has quinine in it, but it sure seems to have that same kind of aftertaste to it. i wish i liked them...they are very light and refreshing, otherwise.

i just drink plain ole boring water....but yeah, the seltzers are getting very popular and probably better for you than colas
The quinine point would be an interesting detail. I would expect the drink to make it evident if it does indeed include quinine.

For about two decades now I have been drinking lots of water. I found that is the best thing I can do to avoid migraines. However, for the past several years I have been battling leg cramps. The throw you out of bed in the middle of the night type of leg cramps. My father used to get quinine pills to help with those. It seems no one wants to prescribe such a thing anymore, but I have taken to adding tonic water to the water I drink. That seems to help with the cramps. The worst part is that I am acquiring a taste for tonic water.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
This thread reminds me of Zima. The single most awful drink I have ever had. Here's a snip of its bio

If you're of a certain age, you probably remember the bizarre, clear malt beverage known as Zima. If you're slightly below that age, you probably remember the jokes that followed its release. According to Slate, Zima was the original attempt by beer company Coors to reach a new audience of drinkers who disliked beer — think Smirnoff Ice for a present-day example.

Zima was produced by filtering the lowest grade beer the company made through charcoal to strip its flavor and color (in the '90s it was briefly popular to make products clear, which was also the fad that gave us Crystal Pepsi,) and adding citrus flavoring. The company marketed this drink towards men who felt that wine coolers weren't macho enough, and instructed sellers to never place Zima alongside them. Despite this marketing campaign, the drink ended up being most popular with women, which further alienated Zima's target audience.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Is LaCroix actually hairspray?

must have spilled some lacroix in her hair....:grinning:

1622917907369.png

Reactions: BigBlueOx_TRD

BigBlueOx_TRD

Rank VII
Investor

World Traveler III

East Bend
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04ACI
I keep a variety of drinks on hand. Picked up a case of Cotsco's Kirkland zero sugar fruit flavored sparkling water a while back and it was different but refreshing. Also, some of the Bai anti-oxidant drinks, good old orange sodas, the occasional V-8 also hits the spot. Sometimes a ginger ale tastes good but there is always some water in the cooler for when you are in the heat and sweating a lot. I get a sugar free black cherry soda from Kroger that's good too. Yeah, I'm all over the map.
Oh my goodness, I forgot about a nice cold V8. Man, that takes me back.

Reactions: FishinCrzy

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I am also a fan of the LaCroix lime, some of the other flavors are not my thing. I seem to be a bit boring in that I normally take only water to drink and will likely have some sort of adult libation tucked in there somewhere as well. Oh and coffee...That was not the case when the kids were younger when we would pack some sort of juice and pop for them.

My philosophy seemed to always be roughing it a bit while out and away and then swing into some local establishment when back on the road. It always seemed that whatever I had at that point was the best thing ever-remember that first ice cold Coke after being out and away?. Sven and Ollie's pizza in Grand Marais, MN after a week of canoeing in Quetico, the steamed mussels at a local bar in Seward, AK. I am still haunted by the corned beef hash at some random truck stop in CO-it was without a doubt the best I have ever had and I will be damned if I can remember now where it was, but I still remember that hash.

And yes-root beer floats-man what a classic.

Last edited: