Is it safe for me to air down my tires with my current set up?

• HTML tutorial

skyquacker

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Round rock Texas
Member #

Hey there guys so I'm going to be out on the trails this weekend and I'm very curious about airing my tires down. I've never done it and I hate the bumpy ride I get with the stiff hummer suspension. I'm running 22x14 fuel octane deep lips wrapped in 35x13r22 nitto g2s so there is a tad bit of stretch on the tires nothing crazy but there is some I'd say about a half inch to 3/4 inch on each side of the tire so what I'm wondering here is it safe to air them down for a smoother ride? And if so what psi should I run them at? I also should say these are very Rough rocky trails so I won't be going fast at all 30mph tops
here's a few pics to help yall better understand what I'm working with here, thanks! Ob3989

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Airing down is to greater advantage with a tire with more sidewall to increase tread print to the ground (Taller then wider profile tire) The tires that you are running are already designed to have a large wide print to the ground, decreasing pressure will not increase your foot print much and will only marginally soften the ride but increasing danger to your rims. If these are E load I might go as low as 30psi but honestly I'd keep them aired up fairly high. On a taller tire like (315-75-16) airing down widened the tread pattern soften the ride even then I'd go down to 18psi and only lower if I was in dunes.

Reactions: skyquacker

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

I would worry about popping a bead if you air them down, its a simple trail fix for non-stretched tires but I dont know if the traditional way of fixing it would work for you.

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

35s on 22s, I say keep em hard. For a few reasons as if you do pop off the bead. You're gonna be there a while if you don't have a spare. Low profiles are traditionally harder to mount than non. And doing it on the trail, with no tire machine, and stretch (I know it's not much but it's enough) I'd say it'd be near impossible to get the bead back on. Another reason is low profiles sidewalls are stiffer. They won't look flat but they could have 5 psi in them. Those nittos don't have much of side biters either so if you did get any flex out of em youd get no traction increase, only flotation and the normal tread would grab onto rocks better.

I say keep at normal psi and if you get stuck, have a friend pull you over the obstacle

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

My opinion is that if you're going at a reasonable speed in a more or less straight line (slower on turns) and not going up and bolder runs you'd probably be okay down to 15-20 psi.

Air up if it's gets technical and as the others have already stated don't break the bead!

Rustyburbin from SoCal 5 kids, wife, dog and a 1970 K20 Suburban

TheBarefootFamily

Rank VII

Trail Mechanic III

Pueblo, Pueblo County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Berkenbile
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Based on the size airing down will do very little to help traction your tire are wide as the can get and longer foot prints t would be by much I would run 35psi and not much lower you tires are already pretty flexed and stretched better safe then sorry.

I run 35x12.50R20 which came from the factory and will be down sizing the rim to a Ford Raptor 17-18 inch rim in the future, to increase sidewall height and tire performance.

Experience is gained through hardships and the motivations to succeed.

Last edited:

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I'll echo most opinions here. Since there isn't much sidewall, and the tire is already stretched, you probably won't notice much of a difference in the ride. As said you won't really increase your footprint, but you increase the possibly of popping a bead. I'd leave it as is and tough it out.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

What is your normal on road tire pressure? Those are E rated tires so the sidewall is pretty tough. But, given the amount of stretch you're already putting on the tires, you probably won't want to go much lower than 25 psi. A little less air (than street pressure) will give more deflection if a rock pushes against the sidewall, but not be so stiff to push the bead off the wheel. The tire isn't super stretched, but the wheel isn't really inset into the tire either. It's more likely to catch a rock, potentially damaging the wheel or sidewall. That's a battle you'll have to decide which to fight. On street looks usually go in opposition to what you need off road.

In very rough rocky terrain, I wouldn't plan to go faster than 10, maybe 15 mph. Usually single digits are the norm. Remember "Mechanical Sympathy". Your vehicle is your ride home. The tires are the first part of the suspension system. Anything you do to reduce the stresses of off road driving to your vehicle, while maintaining safety, is a good thing. Your lower back and liver will also thank you.

Carry a spare tire that is the same size as the rest. If you plan to air down, (obviously) make sure you have provisions to fill them up at the end of the trail. And never go out alone.