Is it possible?! To mount ARB, Dual battery and switch pro under the hood. (Tacoma)

• HTML tutorial

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pathfinder I

Sacramento, California, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HAM - KN6TKY & GMRS - WRQT727
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
Is it possible to run a dual battery set up an arb compressor and switch pro mounted under the hood of a Tacoma? I have not seen anybody do it, anybody out to have experience with this trying to navigate how to get all of these components under the hood.?

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Is it possible to run a dual battery set up an arb compressor and switch pro mounted under the hood of a Tacoma? I have not seen anybody do it, anybody out to have experience with this trying to navigate how to get all of these components under the hood.?
Dual compressor or single. There are 28,422 threads on this over on TW but it's been done a lot. I might be able to help a little but I'm opposed to duals under the hood for various reasons.
Nice pictures Sir. What camera you use?
Zim

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pathfinder I

First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
Dual compressor or single. There are 28,422 threads on this over on TW but it's been done a lot. I might be able to help a little but I'm opposed to duals under the hood for various reasons.
Nice pictures Sir. What camera you use?
Zim
Twin… why opposed to under the houd

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
What are your goals for the second battery?

Some people have shifted away from dual batteries towards a portable power system for their "house" circuits. The benefits are better decoupling from the main battery, portability (can transfer to another vehicle), and easier replacement or upgrades. These units also often have built in inverters and solar charge controllers so they can be simpler to install.

The Overland Journal podcast had a good episode discussing off the grid power systems recently.

DustinDeMayo

Rank V

Advocate II

Olathe, Johnson County, Kansas, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
DeMayo
Member #

What type of battery do you plan to use for the second battery? Anything under 100 AH useable and it's probably better to go with a power station like @slomatt said. If you are going lithium you don't want it under the hood. I currently have my compressor under the hood and I am pulling it out and mounting it more central. Definitely if you are putting the compressor under the hood run a quick connect somewhere for easy access without opening the hood.

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pathfinder I

First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
What are your goals for the second battery?

Some people have shifted away from dual batteries towards a portable power system for their "house" circuits. The benefits are better decoupling from the main battery, portability (can transfer to another vehicle), and easier replacement or upgrades. These units also often have built in inverters and solar charge controllers so they can be simpler to install.

The Overland Journal podcast had a good episode discussing off the grid power systems recently.
Fantastic thanks for the reply going to check that out for sure!!!

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pathfinder I

First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
What type of battery do you plan to use for the second battery? Anything under 100 AH useable and it's probably better to go with a power station like @slomatt said. If you are going lithium you don't want it under the hood. I currently have my compressor under the hood and I am pulling it out and mounting it more central. Definitely if you are putting the compressor under the hood run a quick connect somewhere for easy access without opening the hood.
Ya that’s the plan for sure I hate having to open and close the hood all the time…
Wasn’t sure in battery yet but not lithium. I like simple set ups to power all the lighting through my switch pro. I’m still in the research phase. Really liking the redarc systems..

Reactions: DustinDeMayo

DustinDeMayo

Rank V

Advocate II

Olathe, Johnson County, Kansas, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
DeMayo
Member #

Ya that’s the plan for sure I hate having to open and close the hood all the time…
Wasn’t sure in battery yet but not lithium. I like simple set ups to power all the lighting through my switch pro. I’m still in the research phase. Really liking the redarc systems..
Curious is cost what's making you lean away from lithium?

I started with an ecoflow pro, but recently got the ability to work from anywhere I want so I expanded my capacity to 2 100ah lithiums and the redvision system. I like it a lot, but I am also comfortable with pcb mounted systems since I studied Electrical Engineering. I have the tools and comfort to replace a surface mounted relay and such if something went wrong. Lots of really good lithium batteries on Amazon for around $300 for 100ah. I got Enjoybot batteries they are really well built, but they don't have a low temp cutoff. I solved this by putting in an RV water tank heater under a piece of aluminum that turns on automatically at 32 degrees to keep the batteries warm so they don't ever charge below temp. The redarc also won't charge them at below freezing so it also keeps the charge flowing in that regard.

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pathfinder I

First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
Curious is cost what's making you lean away from lithium?

I started with an ecoflow pro, but recently got the ability to work from anywhere I want so I expanded my capacity to 2 100ah lithiums and the redvision system. I like it a lot, but I am also comfortable with pcb mounted systems since I studied Electrical Engineering. I have the tools and comfort to replace a surface mounted relay and such if something went wrong. Lots of really good lithium batteries on Amazon for around $300 for 100ah. I got Enjoybot batteries they are really well built, but they don't have a low temp cutoff. I solved this by putting in an RV water tank heater under a piece of aluminum that turns on automatically at 32 degrees to keep the batteries warm so they don't ever charge below temp. The redarc also won't charge them at below freezing so it also keeps the charge flowing in that regard.
Naw I love the idea but I need to mount it in engine bay. We use the bed to camp and for daily life.. your system sounds pretty epic wish I could see it! I’m still looking for alternatives and that may end up being a rear seat delete and battery unit there with the redarc stuff mount Ted around it. But still trying to figure long term Best Buy once system. ‍♂