Is Driving Over Snow-covered Highways Permitted?

• HTML tutorial

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
That's why those gates have gotten extremely heavy in some places.
That's why in the mid/late 90's, we started building what ended up being called "Jurassic Gates". People who want to go somewhere will do most anything to go there. What it took to tear out what we built was not easy. People did it anyway.

• Sad
Reactions: 9Mike2

bayaz

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Vlad
Last Name
Dem
That's why in the mid/late 90's, we started building what ended up being called "Jurassic Gates". People who want to go somewhere will do most anything to go there. What it took to tear out what we built was not easy. People did it anyway.
Where is a will, there is a way, i suppose. But it's incredible that people would do that. I've seen a gate in Sedona that requires two people to open, it's that heavy.

• Wow
Reactions: 9Mike2

RangerBill

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA
Member #

As someone who lives in Bear Valley part time, I can tell you with 100% certainty that you are not allowed to drive past the gate or a closed sign. Even in the spring when the roads are partially clear, driving on them will get you a ticket. That goes for a lot of the forest service roads as well.

Also, I wouldn't be overly confident in your ability to drive on the groomed roads if you decided to proceed. Down in the village the roads aren't plowed; they're groomed for snowmobile, ski, and foot traffic. Every year someone with a 4X4 thinks they can make it and ignores the road closed signs. They never make it more than 30 feet before sinking to their axels. Multiple tickets (driving past the close sign and damaging the road) and a very hefty tow charge are their reward.

If you do want to give driving on snow a try, I recommend the road to Highland Lakes in early spring. It's not plowed and is generally snow-covered past the campground. Just be sure to bring a shovel and a friend with a winch.

Highway 4 is supposed to open sometime around April 4 this year, which is a month earlier than normal.

Last edited:
Reactions: bayaz and 9Mike2

bayaz

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Vlad
Last Name
Dem
As someone who lives in Bear Valley part time, I can tell you with 100% certainty that you are not allowed to drive past the gate or a closed sign. Even in the spring when the roads are partially clear, driving on them will get you a ticket. That goes for a lot of the forest service roads as well.

Also, I wouldn't be overly confident in your ability to drive on the groomed roads if you decided to proceed. Down in the village the roads aren't plowed; they're groomed for snowmobile, ski, and foot traffic. Every year someone with a 4X4 thinks they can make it and ignores the road closed signs. They never make it more than 30 feet before sinking to their axels. Multiple tickets (driving past the close sign and damaging the road) and a very hefty tow charge are their reward.

If you do want to give driving on snow a try, I recommend the road to Highland Lakes in early spring. It's not plowed and is generally snow-covered past the campground. Just be sure to bring a shovel and a friend with a winch.

Highway 4 is supposed to open sometime around April 4 this year, which is a month earlier than normal.
Thanks! Yes, I've decided to stick to snow wheeling in El Dorado NF. As to Highland Lakes - thanks for the suggestion - to get to them, you still have to go through the portion of the Hwy 4 that's closed now, right?

RangerBill

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA
Member #

Thanks! Yes, I've decided to stick to snow wheeling in El Dorado NF. As to Highland Lakes - thanks for the suggestion - to get to them, you still have to go through the portion of the Hwy 4 that's closed now, right?
I'm talking about after Highway 4 opens. Then you can access Highland Lakes road. It's not plowed in spring, so usually has snow on it for a while.

BTW, latest rumor is they're targeting opening 4 by Easter, but keep an eye on the CalTrans site.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and bayaz