Is anything else recommended for solo besides PLB and Cell Phone?

• HTML tutorial

JoshDante

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Waterford Twp, MI, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Dante
Member #

Service Branch
USAF vet
Hey
I saw some references to having a "Satellite Communicator", particularly the Garmin inReach SE+, on the forums. Was wondering if you should have that if you already have a cell phone, Jackery power supply for the charging said cell phone, and a PLB for real emergencies. Not really too concerned with 'convoy' type communication like CB, GSM, or Amateur Radio but I'm open to suggestions for need there too. Application will be pretty much nationwide travel, with an aversion to the most technical routes, while staying on most moderate 'two tracks' or MVU roads. Much appreciated!

9576a0_1d1b855d26c0475ea022b12fc3b96d35~mv2.jpg

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Hey
I saw some references to having a "Satellite Communicator", particularly the Garmin inReach SE+, on the forums. Was wondering if you should have that if you already have a cell phone, Jackery power supply for the charging said cell phone, and a PLB for real emergencies. Not really too concerned with 'convoy' type communication like CB, GSM, or Amateur Radio but I'm open to suggestions for need there too. Application will be pretty much nationwide travel, with an aversion to the most technical routes, while staying on most moderate 'two tracks' or MVU roads. Much appreciated!

View attachment 234934
Was wondering if you should have that if you already have a cell phone
Yes. In many parts cell coverage is weak at best - especially if you go to far out places. A SatCom device will allow you to communicate from those places.

Not really too concerned with 'convoy' type communication like CB, GSM, or Amateur Radio
Maybe you should look into amateur radio, APRS specifically. APRS allows you to make your location publicly available and communicate via several different "modes". Like cellular it requires some infrastructure but that is different infrastructure that just may be available outside of cell coverage. I always leave a link to my "APRS page" with friends/family when on the road and leave my radio broadcasting my position in the background. Here is a snippet from last weekend's adventures that is just a click away for my wife/parents/etc. It may not always have my exact location but as long as I am moving all is good.

1657038922311.png

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Another bit of APRS… you can send/receive text SMS messages to other operators as well as with people within your talk group. @Prerunner1982 did a great write up on how to SMS via APRS.

A PLB won’t keep the old ladies from worrying about you when you go off grid for more than 24 hours. ask me how I know.

Reactions: Ubiety

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
We carry a PLB, a CB, a GMRS, a handheld HAM and a cell phone. The CB and/or the GMRS might get out 10-15 miles so will never be counted upon for dire emergencies. I'd give 'em a try, one never knows, a repeater might be close enough for the GMRS or the HAM, and some one might be nearby for the CB, but doubtful. The cell phone would be useless. The PLB would then be deployed and the black helicopter would come fish us out, and probably throw me back in as my wife is a keeper! Seriously, sat phones and such are great, but in all honesty, for us, they would be luxury items.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
A PLB won’t keep the old ladies from worrying about you when you go off grid for more than 24 hours. ask me how I know.
Ha! Our kids insisted we get the PLB. Mother in law is 91, she gave up worrying about us decades ago ! LOL

JoshDante

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Waterford Twp, MI, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Dante
Member #

Service Branch
USAF vet
Was wondering if you should have that if you already have a cell phone
Yes. In many parts cell coverage is weak at best - especially if you go to far out places. A SatCom device will allow you to communicate from those places.

Not really too concerned with 'convoy' type communication like CB, GSM, or Amateur Radio
Maybe you should look into amateur radio, APRS specifically. APRS allows you to make your location publicly available and communicate via several different "modes". Like cellular it requires some infrastructure but that is different infrastructure that just may be available outside of cell coverage. I always leave a link to my "APRS page" with friends/family when on the road and leave my radio broadcasting my position in the background. Here is a snippet from last weekend's adventures that is just a click away for my wife/parents/etc. It may not always have my exact location but as long as I am moving all is good.

View attachment 234936
I really like the fact that you can share your location with others! How cool!

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I really like the fact that you can share your location with others! How cool!
SatCom devices, such as the InReach, allow you to do the same. They charge a subscription for that service whereas APRS is free once you have your license and radio gear. Just another tool ;)