iphone, kindle and Garmin

• HTML tutorial

Sprocket 1-505

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Atlanta
Member #

Sorry, I originally posted in wrong place.

I have found a few things on line but wanted to ask you guys. I would like to use my kindle fire HDX 3rd gen with my iPhone so I can use Gaia on it or as and end result be able to use my kindle with GPS while "into the wild"... I've read a few hacks I can try but nothing specific to what I want. I don't use my kindle at all right now so not scared to wipe it clean and won't loose and important info.

Devin

PS. My garmin is just a handheld mounted on my dash with topos loaded. Just would like to use the GPS if possible. My 3rd gen Tacoma also has GPS if I could use thatsomehow.

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

I have the HDX kindle and tried the same thing you want to do.... The problem is that amazon uses their own version of android and blocks out a lot of stuff you can do. I was trying to link mine to my Dual gps receiver but couldn't get it to work... I ended up just using my Ipad.

-Raul

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
For what its worth I am using an old iPad2 with a link to iPhone for GPS to run maps. Not the best solution (laggy) but works.

Sprocket 1-505

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Atlanta
Member #

I've seen a couple ways to "root" the HDX, but way over my head. Seems Kindle OS 4.5.5.2 is updated specifically to prevent jailbreak it. IOS has been loaded on earlier versions, but B/C the hardware is defrent, it's not possible on the HDX. Android seems to be the only option, that is if you can understand how to root the kindle. Kendle, by far, is the worst platform.

Anyone wanna trade a Kendle for an iPad? Hahaha