Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

My question is between Samsung 8 inch or 10.1. I looked at Costco and 8 is looking good size, 10.1 is feeling too big. Also I like idea Samsung as MicroSD card can be 32, 64, 128... it's more versatile than Apple thing. I'm really don't care about network option as it can be connect to phone or even portable wifi unit, as I have one for travel.

Checker

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Layton, UT, USA
Member #

My 2 cents is go for the iPad. I Think about all of the things that you might need an iPad for and having a larger screen definitely seems to check more boxes.

Reactions: Spaceburger

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

iPad can't extend memory I don't think it check boxes. But personal preference. I have all Apple in my house until i sicked and tired of battery life. I got Samsung phone 9+S and never looked back to iPhone. Its was better product less expensive all app too.
I will tell Apple computer is best, all Microsoft is really not even close.

So I think iPad vs Samsung tablet is Samsung has more options.

So My question is about size, Samsung is making 8, 9.5 , 10 ...in.

My 2 cents is go for the iPad. I Think about all of the things that you might need an iPad for and having a larger screen definitely seems to check more boxes.

Delkat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco Bay Area CA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6AET
I'm still up in the air between the Mini 5 and splurging on the 11" Pro which is almost the same dimensions as the regular iPad. I have all the RAM mounts coming next week so I have to decide soon.

mikedave

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Albany, OR
First Name
Mike
Last Name
D
Member #

I just got back from a week in the hills around Death Valley. I use the iPad Mini 4 (non-cellular version with 128 GB of memory) and the InReach Mini. I use both Earthmate and Gaia GPS. It worked beautifully and with my pre-planned route. The iPad was $299 and with REI discounts my InReach was $200. I have over 70 GB free and I’ve loaded google maps, Gaia maps, and a ton of apps for KOA’s, national park apps, and so on. It my dedicated travel device. It even worked in the depths of Goler Wash. I use the Scosche mounts from Best Buy (cheap) and can be moved around as needed. While I still need my glasses to read anything, it worked out very well.

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
I'm trying to decide between an iPad Mini and a regular iPad. They are both about $550 for the GPS/Cellular versions. The new iPad Pro 11" is about the same physical size as the iPad but double the cost. I will be mounting it in a Chevy Colorado ZR2 and don't want to take up too much space when I have a passenger in the truck. Any thoughts on size?
Thanks
I don't have an answer for you, but thought I'd mention that so long as you have a phone with tethering as part of your data plan, and it's always with you whenever you're driving, you don't really need GPS/Cellular in the iPad. You can just pair them with Bluetooth and use the data connection over your phone.

randalljross

Rank IV
Founder 500

Traveler III

San Diego, San Diego County, California, United States
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Ross
Member #

I don't have an answer for you, but thought I'd mention that so long as you have a phone with tethering as part of your data plan, and it's always with you whenever you're driving, you don't really need GPS/Cellular in the iPad. You can just pair them with Bluetooth and use the data connection over your phone.
You can also tether to a GPS receiver like Bad Elf and not need a cellular unit. I like the bad elf as it’s $100 +/- and can support 5 units so helps when teaming up with others and doing route planning etc.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I'm still up in the air between the Mini 5 and splurging on the 11" Pro which is almost the same dimensions as the regular iPad. I have all the RAM mounts coming next week so I have to decide soon.
I have the 11" Pro with LTE and love it. It's stupid expensive but I bought one with LTE for other reasons (International travel with Google FI for data). I will be travelling for work without a laptop and wanted something that would be compact and connect anywhere. I wouldn't buy a 11" Pro if you only want something for navigation.

If you are looking for a dedicated vehicle device any of the smaller tablets would be fine. Having a larger map screen is nice but it is very easy to stop and pinch and zoom a map as required in any of these apps.

If you want to download entire states you will want to have at least 128GB of storage. Not something I need to do. I am currently using about 12 gb of data for Gaia. I have had that as high as 50gb in the past. I just download maps as needed prior to trips to make sure I have the most current data.

The 2017 9.7" iPads had been heavily discounted recently. In the $350 range but I think they are no longer available with the new 10" 2019 versions out. I did see a 128GB 2018 wifi only for $399.

Delkat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco Bay Area CA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6AET
I bought the new 10.5 Air last week. My RAM mounts were supposed to ship on Tuesday and would have been here by now but they shipped yesterday and will arrive tomorrow about 6 hours after I leave for a 4 day Death Valley trip. Figures................

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
So the new iPad mini 5 is finally out but as usual Apple is screwing its customers by offering no 128GB option which I believe is ideal size. So, curious as to how much memory you are using on your mini? I’m thinking of just getting the 64GB as above that just too damn expensive vs. full-size iPads.
I'm not sure. I got the big memory version and am in no risk of filling it up since I don't use it for images or videos.

-M

Six Actual

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Benicia, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Wickett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA6XM
I use the IPad 4 mini. Good size and viewing area. First washboard road confirmed my decision. Not so large that it want to shake loose. I am using ram mount.