Delkat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco Bay Area CA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6AET
I'm trying to decide between an iPad Mini and a regular iPad. They are both about $550 for the GPS/Cellular versions. The new iPad Pro 11" is about the same physical size as the iPad but double the cost. I will be mounting it in a Chevy Colorado ZR2 and don't want to take up too much space when I have a passenger in the truck. Any thoughts on size?
Thanks

Overland California

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

San Jose, California
Member #

Totally personal preference – if I was using it exclusively for in-cab use, I would probably stick with the mini. Cheaper, smaller to store, takes up less space in your mid-size cabin. If I was mounting it in a full-size truck, then I'd probably look at a bigger iPad (actually I use a 9.7" iPad Pro in my Bronco – I owned the iPad before using it in the truck though).

TXRoamer

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

DFW
I use an iPad Air2, which is a standard iPad size. I can’t imagine anything smaller when bumping down a trail or drawing a route.

James
Bingo. I drive a full size truck so that might have something to do with it but I wouldn’t go any smaller. It’s hard enough to keep your hand steady driving down the road or a trail, so I don’t want the buttons to be any smaller

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
We use the mini.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
iPad Air2 here as well. No blocked view or access to anything for myself or passenger in the cabin of a car. Size is obviously personal preference but so is the mounting location. I definitely prefer the larger screen and when I planned my mount I made sure everything was still going to be accessible.

FDCA6BE8-630F-4671-83D1-3AD2A8E957A2.jpeg

Reactions: Matt Hixson

FJ Montana

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

C34A5101-DE1B-4B7B-AF96-ECAD43A068CE.jpeg E700474B-436F-49E4-8112-740EBC5ED94C.jpeg I actually use a full size IPad. It really depends how much space you have available in your cab. The biggest suggestion I can give you is find a stand that won’t jiggle back and forth while driving on uneven terrain. It’s a real pain in the ass to focus on the map when it’s swinging all over the place.

My dad ended up liking my setup so much he just did the same to his, albeit with a different mount.

Every once in a while it is also nice to play a movie on when the weather is bad, you’ve pulled over need a break. I have also learned to install some kids games on it as well when you’re transporting little ones. Cartoons and games have kept entire trips tolerable when some of the younger ones are upset.

Reactions: Matt Hixson

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
So what is everyone using for mounts?

I'm particularly interested in guys in full size trucks. I looked at a mount that screws into the passenger seat base but I think it will be too short to get above the console of my truck...

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

I make my own. The last one I used in our Expedition hooked into the defrost vents, then had flat climbing rope that looped into an Otterbox Defender clip on case. The iPad clipped right into that. Cost: ~$10.

Attached is a picture of the prototype/proof of concept with the yellow yarn, the second picture is the actual version used for 1 year. We have tons of hours on that setup, it was solid.

I’m not one to spend $100+ on a mount. That just seems silly considering our curremt income level. America has lost some inginuity over the last 30 years, instead paying a lot of money for junk from other countries... I recommend getting creative, and making it happen on your own.

James

931C3892-E721-4391-9957-410FF5C0F38B.jpeg

87D822DE-634B-465E-8188-E491579C5533.jpeg

Attachments

overland_squirrel

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Simi Valley, CA
Member #

I use the RAM single suction cup mount with the X-clip thing for the mini. no complaints except for right turns on the street...took a little while to get used to that.

Reactions: smlobx

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
No. Its own weight held it in place. Keep in mind I overlanded with it, not offroaded or 4wheeled... very different situations.

James
Fair enough and thanks for the clarification... Although I have been on sections of the Interstate highway system that were way rougher than a lot of the dirt, backroads around here. :-)

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

It went with us on a 7 day trip down the Oregon coast... plus a LOT of Idaho dirt roads.

The nice thing is that it’s not on a stalk, so it doesn’t bounce around. I can easily reroute and things while underway because it is solid against the dash.

James

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
It went with us on a 7 day trip down the Oregon coast... plus a LOT of Idaho dirt roads.

The nice thing is that it’s not on a stalk, so it doesn’t bounce around. I can easily reroute and things while underway because it is solid against the dash.

James
Super. So tell me about the weights... How much and where are they attached to the iPad?