Rank IV

Advocate I

Heltonville, IN, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Shields
Member #

I have a SR5 model (no bed outlet). I'm going to install one with a 110V outlet and USB charger ports. Mostly charging electronics and maybe the occasional power tool. But not ruling out a fridge in the future. What size and type of inverter would you recommend? Would like to put under the front seat.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Make sure it is a pure sine wave, a modified sine will make a fridge compressor run hot and damage chargers, add up the wattage of your appliances ( usually on the info sticker on the unit or in the manual) then double that for surge and overkill. Make sure to keep you power wire as short as possible and the correct gauge. You can find the chart on BlueSeas website. Might want to consider an Aux battery a start battery is not designed for deep cycle applications if you plan to use it a lot and will damage a start battery. Install in dry , ventilated area not in bed of a truck. Good luck with your install.

N

NorthWest Xploder

Run your fridge off of DC not AC so no inverter. The inverter will rob power the fridge doesn't need. This way you can keep the inverter small for your fan etc. While minimizing the space required and the draw taken from the batteries. They also make DC fans which would be more efficient still. Also I agree pure sine is much better than modified sine.

Reactions: DMS1 and operatorj

operatorj

Rank IV

Advocate I

Heltonville, IN, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Shields
Member #

I've got a Blue Sea panel in the bed (on/off, 12V and double USB. Its wired to a Blue Sea fuse block that's wired to the Northstar battery. Got a 100amp breaker separating the block from the battery. We just got a 12v/110v (does both) cooler/warmer we are going to try out in July when we go camping for a week.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I have a SR5 model (no bed outlet). I'm going to install one with a 110V outlet and USB charger ports. Mostly charging electronics and maybe the occasional power tool. But not ruling out a fridge in the future. What size and type of inverter would you recommend? Would like to put under the front seat.
You might want to look on tacomaworld.com and see what ideas they have. It's quite amazing some of the ingenious stuff those guys come up with.

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
You need to do a power audit of the electronics you want to run or charge to know for sure. But from the information you gave us I would say a 600 watt pure sine wave inverter should be close. And as mentioned above, get a fridge that runs on 12v and 110v and run it on 12V in your vehicle. The more electronics you can get to run on 12 volts the better, some laptops manufacturers sell 12v adapters for their laptops, mine does not, so I use a Samlex 120 Watt pure sine wave inverter to run my Laptop, everything else I take with me charges from 12v or 5v (USB).

operatorj

Rank IV

Advocate I

Heltonville, IN, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Shields
Member #

The electric cooler we got can do 12V and 110 so I'll do the 12V option.
I'm more of a "rather have ot and not need than need it and not have it" type guy so that's why I'd rather just do the 1000W Pure Sine wave inverter now and get it over with lol.

PanicMonster

Rank II

Contributor III

Anchorage, AK, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Kaplan
Member #

I've got a Blue Sea panel in the bed (on/off, 12V and double USB. Its wired to a Blue Sea fuse block that's wired to the Northstar battery. Got a 100amp breaker separating the block from the battery. We just got a 12v/110v (does both) cooler/warmer we are going to try out in July when we go camping for a week.
Been thinking about this solution. Did you mount it to a cubby? If not, did you / how did you protect the wires on the back from wheel well debris?

Appreciate your thoughts / experience with this.

operatorj

Rank IV

Advocate I

Heltonville, IN, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Shields
Member #

Been thinking about this solution. Did you mount it to a cubby? If not, did you / how did you protect the wires on the back from wheel well debris?

Appreciate your thoughts / experience with this.
I mounted to the inside bedside. I used heat shrink around the terminals. So far so good.

Reactions: PanicMonster