Deb
Last Name
Lee (Ironhorse Overland)
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKU
Service Branch
Army Reserves
Plenty of disgruntled users on youtube. Mostly due to ANY trees in the way can block connection. At around $600 buy in, I find it expensive. I mean that can get me around 90 gallons of diesel! I do not feel the need to be connected when I go out to get away...........
Love that you work to stay disconnected when you hit the trail. We tried that but as we full time, we and our family members found a need to be a bit more connected. We have the option to not use it when we just want to be totally off grid but now have the option to find awesome totally out of the way camp spots and still be able to connect with the kids, grand kids, parents, etc. plus we can upload content when needed and not have to go into a big town to find Wi-Fi or good cell service. So far we haven’t had to many issues with trees, just a matter of finding a little window.

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
I have Starlink ordered for the house, but have no desire to have it for camping. Maybe if I was full time, but even then I would be at a hotel for a night or two every two weeks or so. Right now I don’t see a need for it camping, hell I love it when my phone doesn’t get service and I’m retired

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
The sad thing is you've been watched much longer than you think. Just one example; Remember that your car has had a computer since 91 and a much better computer in 95/96. LOL
Zim
Hey, try hauling haz mat for a living. If one isn’t doing anything wrong, then no problems. If your running illegal then yup, big fines and loss of license. With computers, paperless log books and random drug tests my entire life was monitored. The trade off? Great pay, benefits, and early retirement!

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
Hey, try hauling haz mat for a living. If one isn’t doing anything wrong, then no problems. If your running illegal then yup, big fines and loss of license. With computers, paperless log books and random drug tests my entire life was monitored. The trade off? Great pay, benefits, and early retirement!
Me too. As an AirTraffic Controller who started in 1985, everything I did at work was checked, reviewed and checked again. Random drug and alcohol testing, police background checks to keep my security clearance and more.
Again, great job, great pay & benefits and retired at 56.
If you got a computer or phone, which if your here, you do, someone is most likely watch. I don’t care, I will go on about my life.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Me too. As an AirTraffic Controller who started in 1985, everything I did at work was checked, reviewed and checked again. Random drug and alcohol testing, police background checks to keep my security clearance and more.
Again, great job, great pay & benefits and retired at 56.
If you got a computer or phone, which if your here, you do, someone is most likely watch. I don’t care, I will go on about my life.
Yup, I didn’t mention that I also carried a fast express card for multiple border crossings a week. So everything I did was on record.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and NMBruce

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I have Starlink ordered for the house, but have no desire to have it for camping. Maybe if I was full time, but even then I would be at a hotel for a night or two every two weeks or so. Right now I don’t see a need for it camping, hell I love it when my phone doesn’t get service and I’m retired
Starlink doesn’t allow or enable travel by default? I thought that was the point - internet anywhere.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I have Starlink RV and have been using it for a few weeks. It's awesome, especially for my use case where i work remotely, so now i can work SUPER remotely. I also have a shop here in Tucson and will be ditching my COX cable for the shop and just using my Starlink connection. I regularly see speeds of about 100 Mbps up and 20 Mbps down which is waaaaay faster than my COX connection was.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and NMBruce

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Starlink doesn’t allow or enable travel by default? I thought that was the point - internet anywhere.
This is because the FCC has not licensed them to provide mobile (moving) service yet. I hear they are still in the process so hopefully "soon" (which, who knows, may be years)

Reactions: Tundracamper

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I have Starlink RV and have been using it for a few weeks. It's awesome, especially for my use case where i work remotely, so now i can work SUPER remotely. I also have a shop here in Tucson and will be ditching my COX cable for the shop and just using my Starlink connection. I regularly see speeds of about 100 Mbps up and 20 Mbps down which is waaaaay faster than my COX connection was.
Does it lose connectivity during heavy precipitation? The satellite based system I used to setup and maintain in the service would lose connectivity in heavy rain, snow, or sandstorms.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Does it lose connectivity during heavy precipitation? The satellite based system I used to setup and maintain in the service would lose connectivity in heavy rain, snow, or sandstorms.
Probably, at least if they are using microwave frequencies which are absorbed by water (which is why trees/leaves block more "conventional" satcom). Not a StarLink user.

The internets say yes StarLink operates in the microwave realm; so yeah heavy rain is probably going to be an issue just like the leaves of your favorite trees
To be more specific, ranges from 10.7-12.7GHz and 37.5-42.5GHz are used for the transmission of data from Starlink satellites to the customer's terminal on the ground. The ranges from 17.8-18.6GHz, 18.8-19.3GHz, and 37.5-42.5GHz are used for satellite to gateway transmissions.

Microwave frequencies range between 109 Hz (1 GHz) to 1000 GHz with respective wavelengths of 30 to 0.03 cm

• Wow
Reactions: 9Mike2

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Probably, at least if they are using microwave frequencies which are absorbed by water (which is why trees/leaves block more "conventional" satcom). Not a StarLink user.

The internets say yes StarLink operates in the microwave realm; so yeah heavy rain is probably going to be an issue just like the leaves of your favorite trees
To be more specific, ranges from 10.7-12.7GHz and 37.5-42.5GHz are used for the transmission of data from Starlink satellites to the customer's terminal on the ground. The ranges from 17.8-18.6GHz, 18.8-19.3GHz, and 37.5-42.5GHz are used for satellite to gateway transmissions.

Microwave frequencies range between 109 Hz (1 GHz) to 1000 GHz with respective wavelengths of 30 to 0.03 cm
Thought as much. Still better then dial up. Considering that a large portion of population still don't have access to real High Speed internet it is at least an option