Insurance. Who Do You Like?

• HTML tutorial

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

I just got a text from my agent. It said our 2022 Forester Wilderness policy is going UP $232 every 6 month. That's over $500 a year INCREASE.

No tickets, no changes, hell we're both retired old people!

I need to shop around but hate doing it online. Maybe I'll call that lizard...

• Wow
Reactions: Shahn and grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I just got a text from my agent. It said our 2022 Forester Wilderness policy is going UP $232 every 6 month. That's over $500 a year INCREASE.

No tickets, no changes, hell we're both retired old people!

I need to shop around but hate doing it online. Maybe I'll call that lizard...
ha. i liked it better when geico had this guy...

1686740975303.png

i've used a bunch over the years and somehow ended up with Progressive. when i had my construction company, i had to have $1,000,000 liability to drive into some of the facilities i was contracted to. they had the best price so i stayed with them after i retired. rates have gone up just like everything else and a lot of the insurance companies bundle...doing home, auto, business, etc. so, when bad storms hit and that company has to pay out, they end up having to go up on all insurance.

maybe get a quote from farmers and progressive and see. its mandated by law that we have insurance, so we're pretty much at the mercy of the insurance companies, so im sure they are all going to be around the same

Reactions: Shahn

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Snohomish County, WA, USA
First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
Same as Grub, I've used many over the years and ended up with Progressive as they had the best rate with the coverage I wanted.

Reactions: grubworm

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
And the lowest pay outs. Hate them.

I use State Ferm. Might try Fermers Insurance sometime.

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
If you fit the age group (age 50 and over), the AARP plan through Hartford Insurance has been great for us.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I have had State Farm for over 35 years and been happy with both their rates and service. 4 rigs, a Harley, and a motorhome plus a 1M umbrella and a 65k life insurance plan for $300/month. We both have good driving records and no at fault accidents. Big discount for multiple vehicles and home insurance bundled

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
We've been happy with Progressive, ended up switching back to them after State Farm started raising rates excessively every renewal period for no obvious reason. Progressive had the best rates, and they actually dropped a bit since we switched, as well as some nice value-add services for various toys of ours. We've also had good luck with their claims handling the couple of times we've had claims.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I believe ALL of them have gone up to some degree.

I've had Farmers for 40 years, and have been blessed with the same great agent for 25 of those.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Insurance rates are going up across the industry, both auto and homeowners. We've had some pretty crazy years from an insurance perspective, mostly due to severe weather and wildfires. How many homes and cars have been destroyed by these events not counting all the regular wrecks and fender benders. and required some kind of insurance payout?

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
They are all crooks if you want my opinion.
i'm going to say "fact" rather than just opinion...

one of my strip malls got whacked hard with hurricane Ida and did half a mil in damage and totaled the restaurant that was in it. been paying $15K a year in premiums for the last 20 yrs...no claims and the first thing they do is drop me and now 2 yrs later, and STILL waiting on them to handle business.

they say not to discuss religion or politics online because they are a heated topic...i think we can add insurance to that now! :rage:

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Been with USAA for years both House, Family Owned Camp, 3 vehicles, and Camper through progressive via USAA. Need to shop around a bit just been lazy and USAA makes it very easy to add services to your account.

All of our rates recently jumped by almost 30%. When I called I was told that house went up because of replacement costs of house went up due to the rise cost of housing. Vehicle Insurance went up because the price of replacement has gone up. All required either by state or by mortgage holder (understandable).

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
The important thing to know about insurance is "the house always wins".

I give them as little money as I possibly can.

As Grubworm pointed out, they give no one any benefit for having been a loyal customer. Shop around for good rates. Talk to insurance companies and talk to brokers who have multiple companies available to meet your needs.

Keep your expectations low. Anytime the govt has to mandate something you know it means you wouldn't choose it if you had the option.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
Gonna jump on the Progressive band wagon here, had them for 6-ish years, and while I've never had to file a claim (and therefore can't say how easy/hard/fair that process is), their multi-car (or multiple any thing, they advertise) discounts are nice. Also have been known to give me occasional retroactive rate drops, in the form of a monetary refund.