Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
For the colder seasons, I've been wanting insulation for the poptop roof for a while. The roof itself is of course insulated. Now something to come for the tent fabric. Something made of probably a fleece fabric, which I will attach if necessary inside with tent. Fleece does not weigh much and insulates well and takes and gives a certain amount of moisture. On the tent fabric, however, I have some Velcro (hook side), for example, to attach mosquito nets. Since I still have to think about a solution that the fleece fabric is not damaged too quickly because it attaches to the velcro hooks.

This is what it looks like from the inside in the roof:

Foto5_Fleece-Klappdach_Björn.jpg

Foto3_Fleece-Klappdach_Björn.jpg

First measured everything, every good project starts with a sketch - haha:

Skizze_Fleece-Klappdach_Björn.jpg

überlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Kultala
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
For the colder seasons, I've been wanting insulation for the poptop roof for a while. The roof itself is of course insulated. Now something to come for the tent fabric. Something made of probably a fleece fabric, which I will attach if necessary inside with tent. Fleece does not weigh much and insulates well and takes and gives a certain amount of moisture. On the tent fabric, however, I have some Velcro (hook side), for example, to attach mosquito nets. Since I still have to think about a solution that the fleece fabric is not damaged too quickly because it attaches to the velcro hooks.

This is what it looks like from the inside in the roof:

View attachment 255257

View attachment 255259

First measured everything, every good project starts with a sketch - haha:

View attachment 255260
Awesome idea! Let me know how it works for sure, I may have to try it.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

You can buy original 3M Thinsulate material via Amazon or other sellers, you need to put it between layers of fabric which makes it a bit more work but it's very effective and durable.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
You can buy original 3M Thinsulate material via Amazon or other sellers, you need to put it between layers of fabric which makes it a bit more work but it's very effective and durable.
Well, finally things are moving along on this little project as well. The idea with the thinsulate is super. Thanks @MazeVX for the tip. I just ordered a few samples of different fabrics, then I will decide what to use. And then sew the simplest piece, the rectangle part for the back of the tent. Then try if it is suitable.

Reactions: MazeVX

4x4tripping

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Switzerland
First Name
Heinz
Last Name
Treben

We did consider a thermal cover for our VW Transporter/Caravelle as well, since we frequently go winter skiing in our RV even at temperatures as low as -10°C/14°F.

These covers are available for both external and internal mounting. You often see them with an additional layer called "the cap" placed as the second layer from the outside. They can be purchased for around $300 or can be a nice DIY project for a rainy weekend.

We did end with using our park heating device. If you car don`t have one, there is a thread at OB about chaep portable units. At -3°C the liquids start to freeze anyway - so those covers just help for a short timeframe.

trippin

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Today the fabric samples arrived. I will now subject them to a little stress test, e.g. whether they withstand Velcro. I think I will probably choose a combination of a quilted fabric which is comfortable for the inside and a waterproof / breathable material for the outside. In between a layer of Thinsulate for insulation.

Attachments

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
So, have tried around with the fabrics. And measured everything again. You know: measure once, cut twice or something like that - hehe. It will be a combination of quilted lining, Thinsulate and a breathable fabric. Everything ordered for the rear part of the tent to try out how it works. Now we are going out for three days to follow the call of nature, camping and paddling and then I will continue with this little project. Stay tuned.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
This little project also finally continued today. After a delicious and extensive breakfast with fellow overlanders I have set up at the sewing machine when I was back home.

First of all, everything is measured again. Cut the different fabrics. I use three layers: a breathable and waterproof fabric for the outside to the tent canvas, in the middle a layer of thinsulate insulation and inside a quilted lining so that it is cozy.

First, I sewed the velcro straps to the first layer for later attachment to the pop top roof's canvas. Then sewed the three layers together. And at the end I sewed a webbing around the edges for the optics.

A few photos:

419584419_20231023_145023_3879631_resized.jpg

2096209420_20231023_150444_3623971_resized.jpg

-1270380210_20231023_154703_4337675_resized.jpg

1833352849_20231023_170326_3280931_resized.jpg

I am very pleased with the result, so next I will sew the insulation for the side walls. For this, however, I must first get new material.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I have to bring this project up to speed. Because the ferry for the next Norway winter trip in February is already booked. That will be the first test for the new insulation. So, just ordered new material to sew the insulation for the side walls. To be continued soon.

paul87250

Rank VIII
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger III

Folles, Haute-Vienne, France
First Name
paul
Last Name
Newbold
Member #

Good luck with the project, we did similar to our campervan when we lived in the Alps for the ski season. The most important for us was a double cover for the windscreen we made one for the inside and out. Anything is better than nothing at -25°c, plus using the propex parking heater kept us and the dog toasty warm.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Still work in progress as the fabric material is out of stock. Hopefully, I will get it beginning of January and continue here.

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
You know I didn't really think of this in our other thread because I'm not much for custom work, but you can get "woobie" poncho liner / blankets for really cheap and sew them yourself. They run about $40 at any surplus or online retailer like Amazon. It is the warmest blanket I have ever had, I usually drape it over my sleeping bag when it's really cold out. I've also got a hoodie and a smoking jacket made out of the same stuff, it's really amazing how well it works.

Like the name implies, it was designed to be worn under a poncho. It gets the job done!

1703792300633.png

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
You know I didn't really think of this in our other thread because I'm not much for custom work, but you can get "woobie" poncho liner / blankets for really cheap and sew them yourself. They run about $40 at any surplus or online retailer like Amazon. It is the warmest blanket I have ever had, I usually drape it over my sleeping bag when it's really cold out. I've also got a hoodie and a smoking jacket made out of the same stuff, it's really amazing how well it works.

Like the name implies, it was designed to be worn under a poncho. It gets the job done!

View attachment 270905
Thanks for the tip. Will look into that.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
New material has arrived and I was finally able to continue with this. All three sides are finished. Buttons for fitting in the rig have also arrived. This week I'm going to do the assembly in the rig and then at the end of next week we are heading off to Norway and we will see how the new insulation performs.

20240118_114224.jpg

20240119_154149.jpg

20240122_095910.jpg

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Back home safe and sound from the winter Arctic trip. What an adventure. Experienced temperatures of down to minus 34 C (minus 29F), which was also a personal record for me. The DIY-insulation really makes a huge difference. Even if you don't heat the interior, much less heat is lost. It's also more comfortable and you're not right up against the (cold) canvas of the pop top roof. I am very satisfied and can only recommend doing the same with a setup like this. If anyone here would like to make something like this and needs help, please contact me and I will be happy to help you with fabric selection, fittings, dimensions etc.

Winter_El-Dracho_poptoprrof.jpg