Inner tube instead of second spare?

• HTML tutorial

FX4Bob

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Plano, TX
Member #

Is there any reason why you couldn't get an inner tube as a backup for your spare? If you get a big ol' sidewall gash that you can't easily plug, you could sew it up with steel wire (if necessary), pop your bead, stuff the inner tube in there, inflate it, and be on your way. It would certainly pack a lot smaller than a second spare, and it would at least get you back to pavement where you could get to a tire shop.

I was looking at something like this, which would fit my 33x12.5 15's:
http://www.amazon.com/12R15-33x12-50r15-Firestone-Brand-Rubber/dp/B00V8WU45A

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Having an inner tube is defiantly a part of the tire repair kit. but in order to use it correctly you need to know how to fix sidewalls in the field.
Check out the articles by Bob Wohlers in Outdoor X4 magazine for some good information on tire repair.

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Popping a bead, not a problem, shoot it with starter fliud and then toss a burning paper towel on it and puff all fixed. Carry the spare and intertube aw and extreme backup.

@AstroOverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

New River, AZ
First Name
Jestin
Last Name
Hashop
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7DJL
If you are suggesting carrying an inner-tube instead of a 2nd spare, I think its a great idea. Cutting down on weight is always on my mind when loading up the rig. With that said, I will always carry at least one full sized spare. Spending most of my time on pavement with full tire pressure and at speed, the majority of my tire failures have been catastrophic in nature (un-repairable). Having the spare was the only way I was going to make it to the next town.