Contributor III

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Stephanie
Last Name
Isaacs
Member #

Howdy,

New member here. I’ve been following Overlanding for some time now, and hoping to get my feet wet with an actual trip this summer. Hoping to find some folks to take us out. I’m rocking a Subaru Impreza with about 2” of clearance and a rooftop tent. Lol….It’s true. But! I’m looking to upgrade my vehicle in the near future. I’m heading to the Overland Expo in Bend, and hoping to learn and explore my options before I buy anything.

Anyone from the area going?

Last edited:

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Welcome from the Tri Cities. Never been to expo but sounds like there is a lot to see and learn there. There is a few of us from the Tri Cities and Yakima area that get together for runs, but most of what we do is more trail and not too Subaru friendly. That being said there is still some areas around here we go that are. One trip that comes to mind is Kendall Skyline road, it runs from Dayton, WA down to Jubilee Lake/Tollgate OR. Mid to late summer when it is dry would be the best time to run it, the trip is 50-60 miles one way and offers great views with plenty of camping along the way. Another good place to explore would be around Nile, WA up FS 1500 near Bethel Ridge. Clearance might hold you up from running the ridge trail but there is plenty of forest service roads to explore with great views and nice places to camp. If you're looking for spots down this direction let me know and I can share some routes and potential camp locations.

Reactions: stonefoxsally

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@stonefoxsally Welcome Sally,
I am the Northwest Director, @Sandpoint Steve is your closest member representative. Steve has a monthly Conference Call dedicated to helping those new to the hobby get their feet wet (so to speak).

There are several people going to the PNW Overland Expo next month from your area, although I have not seen an official Rally Point yet for the Northeast part of the region as of yet.

@Dilldog, are you heading to the expo?

I saw your Impreza on Facebook, very nice ride. It looks very capable for softroading. You might check out Softroading the West on YouTube for ideas as well.

Reactions: stonefoxsally

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I am the Northwest Director, @Sandpoint Steve is your closest member representative. Steve has a monthly Conference Call dedicated to helping those new to the hobby get their feet wet (so to speak).

There are several people going to the PNW Overland Expo next month from your area, although I have not seen an official Rally Point yet for the Northeast part of the region as of yet.

I saw your Impreza on Facebook, very nice ride. It looks very capable for softroading. You might check out Softroading the West on YouTube for ideas as well.
I just posted a rally point so everyome can join in that would luke to meet up at the Expo.

• Love
Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I just posted a rally point so everyome can join in that would luke to meet up at the Expo.
Thank you. I was about to make one myself… glad you did it Beau.

stonefoxsally

Rank II

Contributor III

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Stephanie
Last Name
Isaacs
Member #

Hey, that’s great! I can maybe get some use out of this thing till I decide on an rig upgrade. Didn’t even know softroading was a thing. I’ll connect with Steve!

stonefoxsally

Rank II

Contributor III

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Stephanie
Last Name
Isaacs
Member #

Welcome from the Tri Cities. Never been to expo but sounds like there is a lot to see and learn there. There is a few of us from the Tri Cities and Yakima area that get together for runs, but most of what we do is more trail and not too Subaru friendly. That being said there is still some areas around here we go that are. One trip that comes to mind is Kendall Skyline road, it runs from Dayton, WA down to Jubilee Lake/Tollgate OR. Mid to late summer when it is dry would be the best time to run it, the trip is 50-60 miles one way and offers great views with plenty of camping along the way. Another good place to explore would be around Nile, WA up FS 1500 near Bethel Ridge. Clearance might hold you up from running the ridge trail but there is plenty of forest service roads to explore with great views and nice places to camp. If you're looking for spots down this direction let me know and I can share some routes and potential camp locations.
Awesome information!! This is why I joined! . I’ll make the rig upgrade before too long, but could use some time out on the road to get my pack dialed in and more efficient. As you can imagine, she don’t hold much!

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF

I am not planning on going to the Expo, it's been a weird year. But I have perfected trail capacinos so there's that, lol.
Anyway @stonefoxsally there's a ton of cool places over in the CDA forest that would be accessible also. I'm going to try to do a few mellow overnighters and I will try to give you a heads up.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Welcome @stonefoxsally!

Your subie can be just as much of an overland vehicle as anything else can. Anybody who tells you otherwise is wrong.

As far as expo goes, we've got a group coming from the Boise area. While coming down this way would be WAY out of the way, we'd be happy to link up with you at the event. Of the five vehicles we have going, I'll bet each one is setup very differently, so you'll have lots of ideas and inspiration.

As long as you don't mind a crazy 5 and 7yo in camp.

stonefoxsally

Rank II

Contributor III

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Stephanie
Last Name
Isaacs
Member #

Welcome @stonefoxsally!

Your subie can be just as much of an overland vehicle as anything else can. Anybody who tells you otherwise is wrong.

As far as expo goes, we've got a group coming from the Boise area. While coming down this way would be WAY out of the way, we'd be happy to link up with you at the event. Of the five vehicles we have going, I'll bet each one is setup very differently, so you'll have lots of ideas and inspiration.

As long as you don't mind a crazy 5 and 7yo in camp.
I super appreciate that. I don’t intend to be Overlanding with the Subaru because it simply can’t go where I want, but spending 50k on a truck to then add all these mods, is a little intimidating. I’m learning, observing and figuring out where the middle ground is. Anything with better clearance at this point!

We’re headed there Thursday because we’re volunteering the event! I’m not sure where we’re setting up camp yet, but super interested to meet up with folks from my area! How would I even find you?!

stonefoxsally

Rank II

Contributor III

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Stephanie
Last Name
Isaacs
Member #

I am not planning on going to the Expo, it's been a weird year. But I have perfected trail capacinos so there's that, lol.
Anyway @stonefoxsally there's a ton of cool places over in the CDA forest that would be accessible also. I'm going to try to do a few mellow overnighters and I will try to give you a heads up.
Only if I get a cappuccino

Reactions: M Rose and Dilldog

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I super appreciate that. I don’t intend to be Overlanding with the Subaru because it simply can’t go where I want, but spending 50k on a truck to then add all these mods, is a little intimidating. I’m learning, observing and figuring out where the middle ground is. Anything with better clearance at this point!

We’re headed there Thursday because we’re volunteering the event! I’m not sure where we’re setting up camp yet, but super interested to meet up with folks from my area! How would I even find you?!
You don't need to spend that much on a vehicle. Trust me.

As far as meeting up at the event, there is a standard OB GMRS radio channel that we'll likely all be using. I can keep my handheld on me, and if you hop on there, we should be able to hear you. If you want, I'd be happy to provide you with my phone number that you can text as well. Your call there.

Reactions: M Rose and Dilldog

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF

Only if I get a cappuccino
Deal

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hey, that’s great! I can maybe get some use out of this thing till I decide on an rig upgrade. Didn’t even know softroading was a thing. I’ll connect with Steve!
There is a lot you can do with a Subaru… I’m looking at downgrading my Full Sized Bronco to A Forester or Accent. Adding a 2” lift, and some armor… the Subaru is a very capable brand right out of the box… don’t let the 2” of ground clearance scare you…

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Sounds like we need to get an overnight on the schedule.

-Steve
I have been thinking about an overnighter or two together. I really want to get back up to the Stagger Inn...

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

This may be of interest. You need to go back about a year on the video's, he started with a Subbie.
Softroadingthewest
Checked out his videos as I am considering downsizing from my GMC Sierra to a standard shift Subaru Forester SH (years 09 - 13). The CVT in the last 2 generation Foresters seem to leave a lot to be desired. X-mode seems to have been invented to make up for the fact that the CVT's were less capable. Subaru ended standard shift in Foresters after 2017, so that would be the latest year I choose. But the SH, although a little older, looks well engineered. It is available in standard shift (they are out there. Maybe 10% of them), which eliminates all of the CVT issues. SH has the best angle of approach of all Foresters ever made, and has the smallest turning radius of all generation Foresters. And visibility is amazing.

I was sad thinking about giving up my Sierra but after seeing some softroadingthewest videos, it seemed like I would basically have my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee back, but with better reliability and a more efficient 4 cylinder engine. So now I'm jazzed about it.