Lou Skannon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Winnipeg, MB, Canada
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Skannon
Let's hear from those of us who have hurt ourselves while overlanding. What happened? How long did recovery take? Did it change your outlook?

I broke both wrists in July and still can't write although laptop button pushing has become possible ( but slow .)
Cheer me up a bit by telling of your recovery time and route back to Overlanding.

Reactions: TSO_NJ

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
Just as long as you injured yourself overlanding and not doing some mundane task in your regular life.
It's physical proof of having a good time and gives you the creds.

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
Let's hear from those of us who have hurt ourselves while overlanding. What happened? How long did recovery take? Did it change your outlook?

I broke both wrists in July and still can't write although laptop button pushing has become possible ( but slow .)
Cheer me up a bit by telling of your recovery time and route back to Overlanding.
When you can type a little easier let's hear how you broke both wrists while overlanding.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Ive been lucky myself. I have on the other hand needed to help other's. Mostly sprains and cactus. The worse being vehicle roll over's and a high speed dirt bike crash.

I do on the other hand manage to injure myself at home. The only advice I can ever give is, dont get old. It takes longer to heal.

• Haha
Reactions: rgallant and loper

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

Luckily I never injured myself on a trip. But prepared for it, as much as I can anyways. Not sure how I would deal with a major event like bones sticking out of skin or tourniquets.

Recently had surgery and that took me out of overlanding for months. I'm wheeling now, but haven't camped in a long time, waiting for my chest to feel better so I can haul my storage cases onto my roofrack.

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
^ I'm similar to the above, never been injured on a trip but I have a condition that I have to keep up with the ensure a stress-free experience. After an eye surgery I was left with permanent severe dry eye and light sensitivity. I have a couple meds I take daily for it and I wear my sunglasses at night. I have had some issues out there due to it, but some time around camp instead of the trail sorts things out after a day or 2.

Lou Skannon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Winnipeg, MB, Canada
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Skannon
When you can type a little easier let's hear how you broke both wrists while overlanding.
No idea hw I broke the wrists as i severely hit my head as well and suffered from amnesia for about six weeks. I was riding a motorcycle at the time which is a write-off. The wrists, banged-up knees, two broken ribs and the blow to the head leads me to believe it was serious. Nine weeks in hospital didn't help and I'm Glad to out.
The Round the World Expedition is on hold at the moment.

Reactions: madcratebuilder