Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
That’s a screamin’ deal. Not sure I like their tents that much. But, at least you are getting a well known name and some customer service behind the thing. And at the price of the no name Chinese stuff at that.

houlds

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

New Hampshire
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Houlds
Member #

I was able to snag a Tepui Kukenam for $957 today after getting a $1,000 Gift card for $850 then a Cyber monday deal with 30% off the $1500 price tag. That $957 is with tax and it was ready to be picked up four hours after ordering it.

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

Kind of bummed I missed out on that sale. I've been throwing around the idea of moving from my hammock setup to a RTT but man are they expensive when they're not on sale. Funny thing is, my wife and I just went through all of our sleeping gear last night and we've got almost a grand tied up in all that for our winter setup.

@Kevin108 That Smitty treated you well? I've been torn between it and the TJM Yulara

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I'm really wanting to get into a hard shell to simplify setting up and breaking camp, but the Smitty has been fantastic. I haven't looked to see what was "new" in the clamshell tent world in a couple years, but glancing around the ol' interwebs just now, the Tuff Stuff Trailhead looks like the best buy out there. Generally all these tents are comparable, but I see the Tuff Stuff has a different rain fly design that shelters things a bit more and would further anchor the rain fly against wind. Also, it comes with a telescoping ladder, rather than an extension ladder. That's a huge upgrade to me. If you look at any of my pics, you'll see I installed a Tepui ladder on my tent. The telescoping ladders are more adjustable, stronger, more comfortable to use, and offer full adjustment for whatever the height of your vehicle is or whatever terrain you're setting up on. Right now, based on features and price point, the Trailhead has my recommendation. Tuff Stuff® TRAILHEAD® Roof Top Tent, 2 Person

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
@Kevin108 I find most telescoping ladders uncomfortable with bare feet due to the angle of the rungs. The iKamper 2.0's come with flat steps. I haven't found them elsewhere yet.

iKamper ladder new skycamp 2.0

HoosierT

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fishers, IN
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Turner
Member #

I just ordered the new Roofnest Condor since I needed space for family and the price was right. I'll post up some info in my build thread once I receive it.

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
I got a Raptor Series RTT that I picked up at expo east this year. I haven't had a chance to use it or even mount it yet since I'm still trying to find which roof rack I want to use yet but it was pretty good looking and price friendly for $945. Raptor Series guys are really cool and down to earth and have great customer service. I'm looking forward to installing the tent sometime in January to use it for the next season. I'll post pics of the install and the tent as soon as I mount it. For now its still sitting in the big ass box in the corner of the garage.

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

FYI, there is a dang good sale going on at both Tuff Stuff 4x4 and Offroad Tents websites. I snagged a Tuff Stuff Delta for just over $800. It was actually 30 bucks cheaper than their Trailhead is normally, plus free freight shipping. I was so close to buying the TS Ranger, but the $500 difference with the sale going on just couldn't justify the addition of the vestibule (the only difference between the two models)

Overland True North

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Girard, OH, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Cur
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1DON
Most RTT are horribly overpriced for what they are especially true of the hard shells. I have my eye one the tried and true ARB Simpson III which you can generally pick up about $1200 on sale.
How would that ARB RTT compare to a Tepui Autana 3? Wife and I are thinking about getting that or the Autana 4....Just don't know if the 4 will fit well on my Jeep JK. It would be on my the Gobi rack....once it gets here.

Last edited:

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
I got to look at the Free Spirit High Country and 23 Zero Walkabout RTTS at the MOORE in Springfield, Mo. last weekend. The Free Spirit tents with the tri-layer body are expensive, but look as though you could survive a blizzard in one. The 23 Zero tents are about $1,000 less and are equally amazing. Both have the "light suppression technology," which appears to be the newest thing with the soft-shell tents. I generally set up my Kodiak Canvas tent somewhere and camp for about a week at a time, so I've never really considered an RTT, but after seeing the 23 Zeros, it is moving quickly up my list of must haves!

Kathal

Rank 0

Contributor I

Idaho, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Carrico
Thank you for letting me know about the Tuff Stuff rtt never heard of them and there Alpha hard top looks great!

Reactions: Kevin108

Gr8 Hortoni

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Whitehall, Michigan, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Horton
I got a Raptor Series RTT that I picked up at expo east this year. I haven't had a chance to use it or even mount it yet since I'm still trying to find which roof rack I want to use yet but it was pretty good looking and price friendly for $945. Raptor Series guys are really cool and down to earth and have great customer service. I'm looking forward to installing the tent sometime in January to use it for the next season. I'll post pics of the install and the tent as soon as I mount it. For now its still sitting in the big ass box in the corner of the garage.
I’ve been looking at this tent, seems to be a great value. Curious if you’ve had the chance to try it out. Thoughts?