Forrest831

Rank II

Pathfinder III

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
First Name
Forrest
Last Name
Crandell
Earlier this year I took a trip to Indian valley’s reservoir and once the rain clears up I want to head back there for a night or two. My last trip was my first time and I camped at 39.15148, -122.54683. It was very pretty and pretty quiet until the next morning where it got very crowded and pretty sketchy with people shooting in the direction of the road. Does anyone want to share some more mellow spots where I could go for a relaxing couple nights away?

Thanks!

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
And why I never camp around there, and still don't know the draw of that place. Last summer I came across a fatal SxS crash right there on the north side. Rescue chopper was just getting there, but you could tell the guy was already dead.

On a better note, I would continue west on Bartlett Springs Rd, there's some dispersed camping along the creek there. Or even better, near Hough Springs, cross the creek and head north up into Snow Mountain/Mendo NF and disperse camp. That said, there will be snow at the higher elevations. There are many nice spots tucked away up there.

Reactions: Forrest831

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Go up that way to Cedar Camp. It usually opens after April, not sure what condition it is in now after the fires a few years back.

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Go up that way to Cedar Camp. It usually opens after April, not sure what condition it is in now after the fires a few years back.
Cedar Camp is gone. Burned down during one of the fires. Last I drove by, the road leading up to it was overgrown.

Reactions: Forrest831

Forrest831

Rank II

Pathfinder III

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
First Name
Forrest
Last Name
Crandell
And why I never camp around there, and still don't know the draw of that place. Last summer I came across a fatal SxS crash right there on the north side. Rescue chopper was just getting there, but you could tell the guy was already dead.

On a better note, I would continue west on Bartlett Springs Rd, there's some dispersed camping along the creek there. Or even better, near Hough Springs, cross the creek and head north up into Snow Mountain/Mendo NF and disperse camp. That said, there will be snow at the higher elevations. There are many nice spots tucked away up there.
Thanks, yeah it just seemed like a lot of idiots on side by sides I actually almost got hit twice coming back Saturday morning. I’m planning a trip up that way and through the Mendocino NF hopefully that’s a little quieter!

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Bear Creek CG is a pretty good campground. I've hardly seen anyone there, they have pit toilets, and the creek runs year round. Probably going there this weekend.