Incognito Camping

• HTML tutorial

BeastModeABM

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Big Bear City, CA
Member #

So I've been going back-and-forth with the rooftop tent and whether or not I should buy one.

The last four trips the wife and I slept in the back of the jeep on a backpacking air mattress. It was definitely comfortable, the only downside was our stuff was kind of unorganized and thrown everywhere. (I'm 5-11)

Since we show up to national parks without reservations and usually don't have a proper camping spot we hide out in the Jeep.

I kind of like that you can see the jeep and not suspect anyone sleeping in it since there is no rooftop tent. You're definitely protected from the weather and kept warmer than temperatures outside.

Don't get me wrong I think rooftop tents are the bees knees but it's hard for me to justify when I'm perfectly comfortable inside. Just thinking out loud here!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: steve_birdsall

FeralBoy

Rank 0

Traveler I

Indiana
This is actually common. When I was little we used to crash my cousin's camping trips in a Plymouth Satellite wagon and sleep in it...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: BeastModeABM

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@BeastModeABM

I've done the same in the bed of my truck. Never been bothered on Natl forest or BLM roads but I've been woken up and questioned a few times in National and Local parks. I generally tell them the truth, that I'm waiting to take sunrise pictures at a spot near by and dozed off. Show the camera gear and have a quick chat about other good photography spots in the area and go on about the day. So far only once told to move along.

Boort

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
So I've been going back-and-forth with the rooftop tent and whether or not I should buy one.

The last four trips the wife and I slept in the back of the jeep on a backpacking air mattress. It was definitely comfortable, the only downside was our stuff was kind of unorganized and thrown everywhere. (I'm 5-11)

Since we show up to national parks without reservations and usually don't have a proper camping spot we hide out in the Jeep.

I kind of like that you can see the jeep and not suspect anyone sleeping in it since there is no rooftop tent. You're definitely protected from the weather and kept warmer than temperatures outside.

Don't get me wrong I think rooftop tents are the bees knees but it's hard for me to justify when I'm perfectly comfortable inside. Just thinking out loud here!

I think you will find your definition of what "comfortable" is would change with an RTT.

I used to do the exact same thing as you, and I was comfortable considering I was sleeping in the back of a jeep. Comfort in an RTT is on a whole different level in my experience.

But an RTT does change that dynamic of stealth camping!

Sent from my BBA100-1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: BeastModeABM

GoldenStateAdv

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lompoc, Ca
Member #

I think you will find your definition of what "comfortable" is would change with an RTT.

I used to do the exact same thing as you, and I was comfortable considering I was sleeping in the back of a jeep. Comfort in an RTT is on a whole different level in my experience.

But an RTT does change that dynamic of stealth camping!

Sent from my BBA100-1 using Tapatalk
This. Several years ago as I started getting more into the overland stuff I was sleeping in the bed of my covered Frontier. I thought it was great...then I bought a RTT and EVERYTHING changed

There is no stealth camping in a RTT I've tried several times at rest stops to or from Seattle at rest stops.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

I share the OP's sentiments. Sleeping in the rig off on the side or turnoff of a dirt track is easy, and though I've only done it a handful of times, I've not had any issues yet. I think part of it is my vehicle doesn't attract much attention being that it looks fairly stock. That said, I would think having a RTT deployed in the same scenario would call more attention to yourself, but I'm not sure enforcement staff would be more likely to act. If they know park camp grounds are full or near capacity, they'd more than likely look the other way as long as you don't present yourself as a potential issue for them to be concerned.

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Another thing to consider -- what time are you rolling into camp at?

For us, on a lot of our trips, we don't camp until 8, 9, or even after 10 PM at night, and it's pretty much Dinner, a drink or two, and then reading in the tent until we doze off. We're up and gone early the next morning to keep putting on miles and exploring stuff, so for the most part people don't bother us. I'd bet that most people who would 'police' us have punched out for the day before we arrive.

(Caveat: We always pay park fees if applicable, even if we just put a cheque in the door of the park warden's office, and we don't condone 'stealth' camping to avoid paying for maintained sites. -- those fees support an infrastructure that we all benefit from. Same if we are camping in a Wally World, we'll usually end up spending a couple of bucks in the store, even if it's just to buy a gas card for later. But on crown or public land in the middle of nowhere, it's a different story)

If you are setting up shop at 1 in the afternoon and hanging around camp all day, it might raise some more eyebrows.

Reactions: Itacal

BeastModeABM

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Big Bear City, CA
Member #

So most of the time we show up around 3am when park is closed (we have a wilderness pass we pay annually for so no need to pay each time). Depending on the day campsites are most likely taken.

First night is easy, everyone is seeping that late. Second night I'm lacking sleep and probably did a couple good hikes so I want to go to bed around 9ish. I usually just find a turn out or empty parking lot to set up. I've been kicked out once by a ranger who told me I can sleep in my Jeep just outside the park.