Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
After spending a few hours in the car, my pistol holster amd I start disagreeing about things. It’s mostly a one sided arguement though, it tends to be a bit stiff and unforgiving.

I’ve looked into a few options, but would like some real life opinions on something I can temporarily mount to the dash or side of the console. I say temporary as we have a few vehicles that will get used for road trips, and I don’t want a holster mounted in any of them all the time.

For reference I’m usually carrying a full size Sig P226.

I would also be interested in some kind of mounting solution on the ceiling for a rifle or shotgun that is lockable but easy access if anyone has suggestions.

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Here's the holster that floats between my vehicles, camp trailer and my boat. It's an inexpensive tac vest holster with a mag pouch that I keep a folding knife in. I took a piece of nylon strap and sewed a piece to my seat cover, attached another one to the console in another vehicle and piece to my drift boat seat. That way I can attach the holster to the strap where I need it and it stays secure.

WP_20180315_18_10_36_Pro.jpg WP_20180315_18_10_21_Pro.jpg

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I’m a big fan of Alien Gear holsters and I have one of their mounts under my steering column. The mount itself is very low profile and works with any of their shells. I don’t have any pictures in my car but this should give you an idea.

90710A84-6797-4ACB-B1F9-697F5768ED5B.jpeg

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
@472HemiGTX I do have a similar nylon I actually forgot about. I’ll have to see if I can DIY something.

@Wawa Skittletits I’ve been wearing Alien Gear since I started carrying. Unfortunately they do not make a Shape Shift option for the 226 yet. I just sent them a message to see if it’s coming soon. I think that could be a good option, though switching between IWB and dash mount doesn’t appear to be too quick, I will still have my cloak tuck 3. I actually forgot they made the mountable rig for that system, so thanks for the heads up!

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
@Quicksilver I'll have to scope that out. AG said they have the release calendar out to June and no 226 coming that they know of. I'll have to see if I can make something work with the dock.

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

I'm really surprised that they don't have a shell for the 226. I mean, it's only been in production for what, 30-35 years?

SwampcatJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Midlothian, TX, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Garrett
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy
Just to lay all the options out on the table, another way to go is a low-profile magnet. There are a bunch of companies making them with varying magnet strengths. I dunno if I would personally use one of these, since they don't provide any protection from negligent discharge by something catching in the trigger. They are also not very likely to keep the weapon positively captured in a vehicle crash, thereby creating a missile hazard.

But, you may be able to overcome those issues by mounting it in a center console or glovebox, so it may work for your needs/application.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

Your gun really needs to be on your person. It's all about finding the right holster. I have slept while wearing a CompTac CTAC. It's that comfortable. It's a low-profile IWB kydex holster suspended by flexible leather struts. I have never thought about it before, but they're incredibly durable. This post made me realize the one I have is like 12 years old! https://comp-tac.com/ctac-holsters-all-kydex-iwb-concealed-carry-comp-tac/

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Your gun really needs to be on your person. It's all about finding the right holster. I have slept while wearing a CompTac CTAC. It's that comfortable. It's a low-profile IWB kydex holster suspended by flexible leather struts. I have never thought about it before, but they're incredibly durable. This post made me realize the one I have is like 12 years old! https://comp-tac.com/ctac-holsters-all-kydex-iwb-concealed-carry-comp-tac/
I think, perhaps, you misinterpreted this thread. My Alien Gear holster is very comfortable and I’m still wearing it when I’m driving but choose to place the firearm in the holster in the car for a couple reasons. Quicker access and for as comfortable as my IWB holster is it’s still a handgun pressing into my lower back while I drive. Before I get out of the wagon it’s back on my person.

McCannUSA

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Anderson, CA
Member #

I think, perhaps, you misinterpreted this thread. My Alien Gear holster is very comfortable and I’m still wearing it when I’m driving but choose to place the firearm in the holster in the car for a couple reasons. Quicker access and for as comfortable as my IWB holster is it’s still a handgun pressing into my lower back while I drive. Before I get out of the wagon it’s back on my person.
I'm like you, I have my CCW and always have my gun on me but when I'm in my vehicle I wanted immediate access to it without having to un-seatbelt or anything like that. I have a brand new rig so I also didn't want to drill holes in anything. What I found that works great and I have set up in my car and my wife's, is I got the kydex and neoprene type Inside the waistband holster. I took the belt clips off and put them back on the holster upside down and backwards. I then slipped the belt clips up under the lip on my center console. This works great on both of my vehicles because the belt clip on the holster is the "C" shaped type and there is a little inner lip on the inside of the center console, so the holster can't fall off when putting the gun into it. It is so fast to holster and un-holster your gun and nobody can see it when your sitting in your seat, even if there standing at your window.
20180404_172613.jpg

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

Have you thought about one of those gun magnets, like the type used under a desk? I use one of these in my center console (console vault) as a convenient way to hold mine when I can't carry. Seems like it would work well under the plastic or carpet in the cab also. Might not be great on rough roads but I'm not sure that is what you are after here.

-Curtiss

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I don't like the extra handling of the gun when it's not needed, such as when you enter and exit the vehicle. Quick access is a benefit, but your ears pray that you'll never need to shoot from inside the vehicle. More likely, you'll find yourself needing the gun away from the vehicle without having grabbed it - and its still safely in its holster, back in the vehicle. If you're comfortable wearing the holster empty, you should be comfortable wearing it with the gun in it. Think of it this way: look at the practices of people who use firearms in their profession. The gun is kept on their person. That's what I recommend as well.

Of course, all of this is just theoretical. I've never needed a gun and hope to continue that. Hopefully the same is true for all of us in this thread.

Reactions: SwampcatJeep

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

This is one of the reasons I carry appendix IWB. It’s universally accessible, with similar garment clearing motions. If I’m getting in the car for long periods of time I’ll stick it between my seat and console. Otherwise it just stays in my belt. I know this carry style doesn’t work for everybody but I’ve found it to be the most consistent and comfortable method of concealing. For me anyways.

It’s less comfortable than normal right now because I’ve gained some weight. But it works. Good heavy duty gun belt and a high quality holster are KEY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Alfonso

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I don't like the extra handling of the gun when it's not needed, such as when you enter and exit the vehicle. Quick access is a benefit, but your ears pray that you'll never need to shoot from inside the vehicle. More likely, you'll find yourself needing the gun away from the vehicle without having grabbed it - and its still safely in its holster, back in the vehicle. If you're comfortable wearing the holster empty, you should be comfortable wearing it with the gun in it. Think of it this way: look at the practices of people who use firearms in their profession. The gun is kept on their person. That's what I recommend as well.

Of course, all of this is just theoretical. I've never needed a gun and hope to continue that. Hopefully the same is true for all of us in this thread.
My preferred placement of the firearm isn't solely to fire from inside the vehicle but if the occasion were to arise... I'll be quicker and damn the tinnitus haha. I can only speak for myself but I'm conditioned to grab and go. I grab and go at home and I grab and go in the vehicle. No different than your car keys and wallet so forgetting it just isn't in the cards. I feel your comment regarding holster comfort with and without the noise maker lacks real world experience. Can I sit on my gun for hours? Sure I do it all the time in other peoples vehicles but it'll never be as comfortable or readily available. Also I'll add that comparing an IWB holster and a level III holster on your duty belt simply isn't the same. That's coming from someone who also carries professionally but in the end.. to each their own.

Reactions: Quicksilver

Alfonso

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Chattanooga, TN
First Name
Alfonso
Last Name
Gómez-Arzola
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K3ALF
This is one of the reasons I carry appendix IWB. It’s universally accessible, with similar garment clearing motions. If I’m getting in the car for long periods of time I’ll stick it between my seat and console. Otherwise it just stays in my belt. I know this carry style doesn’t work for everybody but I’ve found it to be the most consistent and comfortable method of concealing. For me anyways.

It’s less comfortable than normal right now because I’ve gained some weight. But it works. Good heavy duty gun belt and a high quality holster are KEY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I carry the relatively large P226 at the appendix position and it’s actually not bad at all. Being able to draw from a seated position inside the car, as well as other conditions which might otherwise interfere with your arm as you reach back to draw from a different position, is one of the biggest plusses for me. It’s also suprisingly easy to conceal in this position. Printing is less likely to occur (in my experience) and, when it does print a bit, it’s less likely to draw attention.