Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

I have a 2016 Tacoma, TRD OffRoad. Those stock Bilsteins are pretty soft. I replaced the front with the Bilstein 5100 (primarily to level the front) and it is much firmer. The rears are still the stock TRD Bilsteins. I have a fiberglass shell and Firestone Airbags. When I'm loaded up with camping gear, and the airbags are inflated, the rear end bounces around a lot; those TRD Bilstein's can't control the weight. So I'm looking to upgrade to either the 5100's or go with Icon 2.0 (non reservoir). I usually drive fairly slow off-road. I'm not bombing washboard roads. wondering if the 5100's will be enough or if I should go with Icons. Those TRD Bilsteins leave me worried about Bilstein. I'm happy with the 5100's up front, but they really aren't trying to control any extra weight over the stock weight. The back end will be considerably heavier than an empty bed. I'm leaning towards Icon, but I don't want to waste money. Any feedback is appreciated.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@theMightyGoose
I have a 2016 Tacoma, TRD OffRoad. Those stock Bilsteins are pretty soft. I replaced the front with the Bilstein 5100 (primarily to level the front) and it is much firmer. The rears are still the stock TRD Bilsteins. I have a fiberglass shell and Firestone Airbags. When I'm loaded up with camping gear, and the airbags are inflated, the rear end bounces around a lot; those TRD Bilstein's can't control the weight. So I'm looking to upgrade to either the 5100's or go with Icon 2.0 (non reservoir). I usually drive fairly slow off-road. I'm not bombing washboard roads. wondering if the 5100's will be enough or if I should go with Icons. Those TRD Bilsteins leave me worried about Bilstein. I'm happy with the 5100's up front, but they really aren't trying to control any extra weight over the stock weight. The back end will be considerably heavier than an empty bed. I'm leaning towards Icon, but I don't want to waste money. Any feedback is appreciated.
I'm no expert, so I'll first recommend that you get in touch with a reputable overland/offroad focused shop in your area (BIG Bonus if they drive Toyotas!). I just went through this process for both my 97 Tacoma and 06 4runner. In the end I'm upgrading the 4runner to OME BP51's and updating the springs to take the weight. I seriously considered the Standard OME kit that is more like the Bilstein's but in the end I went with these for the adjust-ability since I'm at the very beginning of my build and not sure how far I plan to take it.

My 0.2 cents for what it's worth.
Boort

Reactions: theMightyGoose