Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ephrata Avenue Northwest, Soap Lake, Washington 98851, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Gehlen
Member #

This spring my family and I will be taking a trip from Washington down through Moab, Ut., over to Colorado and down into Arizona. I've setup 90% of our route but am curious about Imogene pass in Colorado. I have a 2018 Ram 3500 CCLB with Carli 3.25" lift, Bilstein 5160 bypass on all 4 and Toyo R/T 35x12.5x18 tires with rear locker only. Could you folks that have taken Imogene pass advise me on taking this path. Is the trail big enough for my truck, what's the best direction to travel it and what are some areas I should checkout.

franklyspeaking

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Kennedale, TX, USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Jones
Member #

It’s definitely doable. They take tour rigs with 1 ton pickups that have bench seating instead of a bed all the time up there. There are a few spots where you might need to make a 47 point turn but it’s doable for sure.

Checkout Ophir pass and bridal vail falls as well if you are spending some time there. If you haven’t taken the million dollar highway before you are in for a treat!

Reactions: RickLB

Brian Glendenning

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Socorro, NM
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Glendenning
Member #

I did it with my F150 Extended cab (i.e., clamshell doors) 6.5' bed (145" wheelbase IIRC), 4x4 rear locker, 2" level 32" tires. You'll be a bit longer (bad), wider (bad), and taller (good). The driving was straightforward; I might have put my rear locker on once or twice but probably not really necessary. The trail was pretty busy in mid-September and passing on the narrow trail was frequent and annoying but never a major issue. I did find it a bit scrape-y on the Ouray side down off the peak, but no problems. (I did wish I could find rock sliders - my side steps took a bang or two). My guess is your greater height will more than compensate for your longer wheelbase and you'll have no issues. Beautiful country. (Engineer pass is easier, so you could try it first and see how that feels and then make the call).

Reactions: OverRAM3500

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

It really depends on what snow pack they get this year, but I would guess 3-4th week of June. I do believe the last several years it has opened right at the end of June. Last year, we could not even get to the pass, the week of July 4th. It was still snowed in.