I'm visiting Grand Canyon North Rim, suggestions?

• HTML tutorial

Superslidestyle

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rialto, California, United States
First Name
IRWIN
Last Name
JIMENEZ
Member #

On June 19-23rd, 2019, I'll be visiting the Grand Canyon North Rim with my family and another couple. While it's not quite an Overland trip, it is going to be our 1st time there. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do or what to see on the North Rim side? I'll be heading north on the 15fwy passing through Vegas, then head East near Zion on SR-9, SR-59, SR-359 to US-89. We'll be camping at Jacob Lake Campground. We may drive into Zion for a half day just to check it out. What else is out there?
20180930_153040.jpeg

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
We were there week before last over two days as part of our three week western swing vacation and camped at Demotte CG, which is about 25 miles nearer the park entrance. First and foremost, double check the weather forecasts, take them with a huge grain of salt and plan for at least one day of something completely opposite. They lied while we were there! Sunny and cool ended up being four inches of snow and blizzard conditions! There is very little cell service in the entire area, so you may not always be able to get the latest and greatest info on the weather and wake up to a nasty surprise...

Depending on the amount of hiking you're planning to do, you can actually hit the highlights in a day since the North Rim isn't as large an area as the South Rim. The main trails with views are around the lodge and Visitor Center area. Also, since you'll be essentially right across the road, I highly suggest a meal or three at Jacob Lake Lodge. REALLY good food and a great atmosphere.

Attachments

Last edited:

Superslidestyle

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
IRWIN
Last Name
JIMENEZ
Member #

We were there week before last over two days as part of our three week western swing vacation and camped at Demotte CG, which is about 25 miles nearer the park entrance. First and foremost, double check the weather forecasts, take them with a huge grain of salt and plan for at least one day of something completely opposite. They lied while we were there! Sunny and cool ended up being four inches of snow and blizzard conditions! There is very little cell service in the entire area, so you may not always be able to get the latest and greatest info on the weather and wake up to a nasty surprise...

Depending on the amount of hiking you're planning to do, you can actually hit the highlights in a day since the North Rim isn't as large an area as the South Rim. The main trails with views are around the lodge and Visitor Center area. Also, since you'll be essentially right across the road, I highly suggest a meal or three at Jacob Lake Lodge. REALLY good food and a great atmosphere.
WOW! You weren't kidding! Great pics & info. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Reactions: ru108

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Not a problem at all. You’ll probably luck up and it’ll be sunny and 80 the whole time! [emoji41][emoji16]

Reactions: Superslidestyle

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I've been there numerous times and love the view. Not much to do at either rim other than to drive and stop at the different parking lots for scenic views. I've done the helicopter tours a few times and always enjoy that, especially since I'm always going with new people who haven't experienced it. The helicopter is spendy, BUT worth it to me. Other than going down into the canyon hiking or rafting it, the helicopter tour is a way to see a lot quickly and then go on to other things. Theres a lot around there...Vegas, Hoover Dam. Bryce and Zion Nat'l parks, Painted desert, Sedona, etc.

A-Aron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
There is a lot to do and see near the North Rim of grand canyon.. if you want to get a little dirt on the tires, things are close enough for base camping and you've got a good central location being at Jacob Lake campground. You can hit most of "the sites" at the north rim proper in a day, you should be able to make it out to point sublime (2 routes depending where you want to start.. permits only required if you want to camp there..) also, white pocket in the Vermilion cliffs national monument is only 38 mile from Jacob lake, air down to 15-18 psi and 4wd should get you in and out without too much trouble, I hauled my overland trailer in there over Easter. The south route is recommended and closest to Jacob Lake.. also, Badger creek is a great place to see the Grand canyon and is towards Marble canyon. Lees ferry @ marble canyon is cool, and historical, and has a nice campground as well, but all are within a reasonable drive to make a day trip. Let me know if you want any details, I have some coordinates and waypoints I can share. There is a lot to see in Kanab and surrounding area, as well as off 89. You can look up Coral Pink Sand dunes, Toadstools, White pocket, Lees Ferry, Paria townsite, Peekaboo canyon (kanab), sand caves, (kanab), belly of the dragon (kanab), point sublime (north rim), and many more depending where you want to spend your time. Good luck, feel free to reach out with questions or if you need more info.

Superslidestyle

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
IRWIN
Last Name
JIMENEZ
Member #

There is a lot to do and see near the North Rim of grand canyon.. if you want to get a little dirt on the tires, things are close enough for base camping and you've got a good central location being at Jacob Lake campground. You can hit most of "the sites" at the north rim proper in a day, you should be able to make it out to point sublime (2 routes depending where you want to start.. permits only required if you want to camp there..) also, white pocket in the Vermilion cliffs national monument is only 38 mile from Jacob lake, air down to 15-18 psi and 4wd should get you in and out without too much trouble, I hauled my overland trailer in there over Easter. The south route is recommended and closest to Jacob Lake.. also, Badger creek is a great place to see the Grand canyon and is towards Marble canyon. Lees ferry @ marble canyon is cool, and historical, and has a nice campground as well, but all are within a reasonable drive to make a day trip. Let me know if you want any details, I have some coordinates and waypoints I can share. There is a lot to see in Kanab and surrounding area, as well as off 89. You can look up Coral Pink Sand dunes, Toadstools, White pocket, Lees Ferry, Paria townsite, Peekaboo canyon (kanab), sand caves, (kanab), belly of the dragon (kanab), point sublime (north rim), and many more depending where you want to spend your time. Good luck, feel free to reach out with questions or if you need more info.
Damn, that is a ton of good info. Do you have maps of the trails or waypoints in PDF format? Or links to all that? I'll gladly take whatever you throw my way! Irwin "SuperSlideStyle" (909.two27-four6two1 or Irwinrjimenez@gmail.com, also on www.socalXterra.com, www.thenewx.org, www.ruggedrocks.com

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Check this out, there are notes in a lot of the descriptions of waypoints, any mapping software (including google maps) should be able to provide you with routes to these locations.

Attachments

Reactions: ❤️Lovey❤️

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Firepoint is in the park and easy to get to, (Wide forest road). You can camp there but ONLY with a permit and if someone is there just be courteous. You are allowed to check out the point but will be walking through their campsite. I would also recommend Crazy Jug Point. It is outside the park, easy to get to, and has a vastly different view from anything within the park. There are a few other points just west of Crazy Jug as well. Gas is MUCH CHEAPER!!!!! at the country store just north of the entrance to the park than at Jacob Lake as is gas inside the park near the lodge.

I think Zion is too far away and too crowded for a quick trip. You might drive up to Vermillion Cliffs and check out White Pocket.

Have fun....

Superslidestyle

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
IRWIN
Last Name
JIMENEZ
Member #

Firepoint is in the park and easy to get to, (Wide forest road). You can camp there but ONLY with a permit and if someone is there just be courteous. You are allowed to check out the point but will be walking through their campsite. I would also recommend Crazy Jug Point. It is outside the park, easy to get to, and has a vastly different view from anything within the park. There are a few other points just west of Crazy Jug as well. Gas is MUCH CHEAPER!!!!! at the country store just north of the entrance to the park than at Jacob Lake as is gas inside the park near the lodge.

I think Zion is too far away and too crowded for a quick trip. You might drive up to Vermillion Cliffs and check out White Pocket.

Have fun....
Holy crap, that link has great pics! Thanks.

Reactions: 1Louder

Razrrila99

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Comer
Member #

Im just breadcrumbing this one as Ill be heading to the North Rim the weekend of June 29th.

monark192

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Vista, CA, USA
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Clark
Member #

Timely information - thanks everyone. We will be camping at Jacob Lake June 26 - 29. Looks like we will be there between Superslidestyle (Xterras ftw) and Razrrila99

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
I've posted my research as I will be camping that area July 3-7 and have been down that way 2 times in the last 8 weeks.. gotta love how a plan comes together so well on OB!

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Is this trail easy moderate or hard? Any suggestion where to stay overnight with great view [emoji6]. Thanks for the info
White pocket can be accessed with any 4wd vehicle with experience, the trail is not difficult as far as technicality goes, but it is very sandy, 4wd Tacoma will have no issues, just air down when you come off the highway, the House rock valley road changes conditions and has been known to have deep ruts from time to time. The best place to camp IMO is in this area just past the main white pocket parking... White pocket camping We camped here over easter and it was wonderful, its going to be hotter now but there are a few places you could setup with some shade . This is a pic looking back on our camp from the white pocket formation.

Attachments

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Is this trail easy moderate or hard? Any suggestion where to stay overnight with great view [emoji6]. Thanks for the info
It isn't a short trip up to white pocket.. plan a few hours in and out.. are you exploring the area or just passing through looking for a spot? I can recommend a few places just of the highway with views as well.. the views are not hard to come by.. lol

Reactions: IzzyTacoG3