Im new, where to begin?!

• HTML tutorial

Tacomaboatguy

Rank 0

Contributor I

After years of telling myself I'm going to get out more, this is the year. Starting to outfit my truck, Its a '12 sierra that is all stock except for the 31" tires and hideous chrome wheels that came on it. Where do I even begin? So far all I have is enough gear to spend a weekend away. Where do I start on my truck? Do I start on the rack and rtt? Sit down and plan out exactly what Im wanting? How do I prioritize what I do first? It will most likely be just myself out with other friends, occasionally my wife will be joining, but not every time. Would a bed tent be worth the money? Would it be best to save for the rack and rtt instead? Sorry for all the questions, I don't want to spend money twice if that makes sense.

Reactions: Chadlyb

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I think I'll speak for a lot of guys on here when I say don't buy anything but bare necessities for the time being; you mentioned you have enough gear for a weekend away, so you might not need to buy anything at all except food. Do some trips with the gear you have, and as you go out more, you'll see what you really need.

The only thing I will recommend is that if you have street tires on your truck, invest in a good set of All Terrain or Mud Terrain tires depending on how much time you plan to spend on hard pack vs dirt. All terrains are good for almost all off road conditions, and are much nicer on road than M/T's. M/T's rule on the rock crawls and deep goopy mud, but suck in rain on pavement and are noisy and not very fuel efficient on pavement.

I will also say that if you're running low profile tires on huge rims, ditch those things quick - sell em and use the funds to buy some smaller steelies, 16 or 17 inch, and clad them with high aspect ratio (70-80 range) A/T or M/T tires. If you're already running smallish wheels, then you should be fine, taking into account the advice about no street tires.

Cheers and welcome aboard!

Last edited:

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Great advice above.

Skip the RTT and rack. Invest in good tires and then recovery equipment. All the other toys should only be purchased after you've spent enough time on the trail to determine you actually need or want them.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

After years of telling myself I'm going to get out more, this is the year. Starting to outfit my truck, Its a '12 sierra that is all stock except for the 31" tires and hideous chrome wheels that came on it. Where do I even begin? So far all I have is enough gear to spend a weekend away. Where do I start on my truck? Do I start on the rack and rtt? Sit down and plan out exactly what Im wanting? How do I prioritize what I do first? It will most likely be just myself out with other friends, occasionally my wife will be joining, but not every time. Would a bed tent be worth the money? Would it be best to save for the rack and rtt instead? Sorry for all the questions, I don't want to spend money twice if that makes sense.
I think I'll speak for a lot of guys on here when I say don't buy anything but bare necessities for the time being; you mentioned you have enough gear for a weekend away, so you might not need to buy anything at all except food. Do some trips with the gear you have, and as you go out more, you'll see what you really need.

The only thing I will recommend is that if you have street tires on your truck, invest in a good set of All Terrain or Mud Terrain tires depending on how much time you plan to spend on hard pack vs dirt. All terrains are good for almost all off road conditions, and are much nicer on road than M/T's. M/T's rule on the rock crawls and deep goopy mud, but suck in rain on pavement and are noisy and not very fuel efficient on pavement.

I will also say that if you're running low profile tires on huge rims, ditch those things quick - sell em and use the funds to buy some smaller steelies, 16 or 17 inch, and clad them with high aspect ratio (70-80 range) A/T or M/T tires. If you're already running smallish wheels, then you should be fine, taking into account the advice about no street tires.

Cheers and welcome aboard!
This is great advice.....get out into adventures and figure out what works and doesn't work. How do you want to use your truck?....ground tent, rtt, hammock, bed setup. Do some time in the wild and don't buy anything that breaks the bank until you know for sure what you need. Get yourself a first aid kit, basic recovery gear, shovel, axe and bug out of town. Test yourself and your gear . Be smart and safe. Especially if your alone. Good luck and welcome to the Family.

Tacomaboatguy

Rank 0

Contributor I

Thanks for all the advice! Right now I think I will be ok with my AT tires, I might pick up some sliders for the truck. My buddy and myself tend to push our vehicles when we do venture out whether it is on dirt or pavement, and the last thing I would want right now is to crush my cab on a rock. What would a good app for the iPhone be for GPS until I get something that is more capable?

BlueLineOverland

Local Expert, Arkansas USA

Experimenter II

Ozark Arkansas
First Name
Mason
Last Name
Berry
Member #

Thanks for all the advice! Right now I think I will be ok with my AT tires, I might pick up some sliders for the truck. My buddy and myself tend to push our vehicles when we do venture out whether it is on dirt or pavement, and the last thing I would want right now is to crush my cab on a rock. What would a good app for the iPhone be for GPS until I get something that is more capable?
GAIA is my favorite. Most user friendly app out there!!!

Reactions: Chadlyb

carlospalooza

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast I

NE Los Angeles
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

This is the order I’d go with: rig maintenance, basic mods to get you in and out (this would depend on your trail style), food, water and shelter, meaning a decent stove or equivalent, storage to keep your food and utensils safe and organized and a decent ground tent or equivalent. Or maybe a truck bed tent. Both are good and inexpensive. Also can be unloaded easy when you’re ready for a RTT or other shelter you decide on. I’m also in agreement not to buy too much until you’re out and about and figure out what else you really need.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

In that case look for skid plates to protect vital parts too.

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

All good advice. For comforts sake though maybe consider bumping up a roof rack / bed rack on your list so you can have an awning for shade / rain . Not a nessecity but very nice to have.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Lots of good advice here. The only thing I can add is "Google is your friend". Start looking at other builds and do a bit of research before buying.

Oh and welcome.

Scott