I'm getting the itch...

• HTML tutorial

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Just like the title says, the "Itch" is setting in. I have got to get off the road, pavement is boring and I'd much rather drive a dirt road all day than pavement for another hour. My busy season for work is coming sooner than i'd like and iv'e got to get out and explore some, soon!!

Anyone else getting that itch to go explore?

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

My itch has been in a chronic state for the last couple years. Unfortunately it only gets worse with time... We have been working nights and weekends on our camper renovation (see blog) for the past couple of months and let some awesome weather get past us. Hope to wrap things up in the next week or so and get back on the trails! If I don't get out soon, I'm going to need professional help.

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Once my boys get older it will be easier to hit the trails. One is 1yr old and the other is 3, so they are at a rough age lol

hardtrailz

Rank V

Advocate II

Indiana
Just strap them in and go. I loved that age for mine. Easily amused and would just ride along with some pretzels and a sippy cup.

I do wish we had more dirt roads around here like I did in FL. Gravel and finding bridges and creek crossings is pretty good entertainment though.

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Just strap them in and go. I loved that age for mine. Easily amused and would just ride along with some pretzels and a sippy cup.

I do wish we had more dirt roads around here like I did in FL. Gravel and finding bridges and creek crossings is pretty good entertainment though.

The HNF (Hoosier National Forest) has some ok trails there. I really need to take a day and go explore since it is right at 2hrs away.. Really liked the trails up north in the Manistee National Forest.

hardtrailz

Rank V

Advocate II

Indiana
I guess i should try HNF. i was under the impression that all the decent stuff was closed and it was all gravel or pavement these days.

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Most of it is gravel, i think... The guy to ask is Nathan Farley, he's on Facebook, Indiana Overlanders...he's down in the HNF pretty often. Or even Dan Frasier, I think he knows the HNF pretty well. As close as you are (Im guessing 2-3hrs?) it would be worth it IMO.

hardtrailz

Rank V

Advocate II

Indiana
My buddy lives right by it and he does not bother going anymore, so that is why I have not. Will chat with him more and see what he knows. There is miles of gravel and creek crossings way closer to me if that is all it is.

I would like to make it over there when a group is around to camp with though.

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

My buddy lives right by it and he does not bother going anymore, so that is why I have not. Will chat with him more and see what he knows. There is miles of gravel and creek crossings way closer to me if that is all it is.

I would like to make it over there when a group is around to camp with though.

Yeah that may be true.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Overlanding with the little ones is a challenge, but totally worth the effort! You just have to get creative with how you keep them occupied and keep the run duration tolerable.
Practice really makes it better, too. The first few trips are always the toughest, but you'll learn what your limitations are and be better prepared for the next round.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Around here, it is at least a couple of hours to the nearest gravel, and I don't have any idea for anything a bit further afield. I sure found a lot of places I'd like to move while we were traveling...

Reactions: SLO Rob