Menifee, CA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Pemberton
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6RUS
Hi I am 75 and thinking about getting a RTT, Sort of leaning towards the IKamper Mini on my Gladiator and I have a SmartCap on it. My question is how hard is it to get in and out of. Am I being stupid, looking at an RTT or what. Any recommendations

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
How are your knees and overall flexibility, 65 and I have a RTT on a Land Rover Discovery. It is a ways up and sitting room only, I have no issues currently getting in or out and getting dressed up there. But some younger folks find it awkward.

Given you are basically putting it at canopy height knees should be ok, but if you could get in one before you buy it will help making a decision if it works for you.

Reactions: Viking1204

shansonpac

Rank V

Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

I'm 66 and still in reasonable shape. I have a Turtleback Expedition with a 23 Zero 56 on the top. Like all men later in life, I have to get up at least a couple of times during the night. The RTT is incredible stable with rear landing pads on the trailer. I'm really careful to make sure that the ladder is set at not too steep an angle to make descending safer. ascending is easy for me. I have an attached annex, and I keep a low level of string lights on in the annex all night for safety. My RTT is very comfy and I sleep as well on the road as I do at home. Test out the RTT to make sure it meets your needs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viking1204

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
age shouldnt matter with a RTT as long as you plan ahead or have a younger wife that will go up and down the ladder getting beers, emptying pee bottles, getting snacks, checking on noises, etc...:grinning:

my wife isnt younger than me, but she is barely over 100 lbs while i'm 230, so when we camp in the camper shell, she's the one climbing over the tailgate all the time when the back is loaded because she's the only one that will fit...

"nimble" wives are key

Last edited:

Roaming Bear

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Menifee, CA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Pemberton
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6RUS
I really appreciate all of the recommendations. I luckly never have to pee at night and I guess if I did I would use a jar or something. I doubt if my wife would run down and get my beer for me, but she does have to pee in the middle of the night. I will have to find someone that is kind enough to open their RTT and see if I can get in easily or not.

GBGCR4x4

Rank III

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Gianluca
Last Name
Boncompagni
I'd say unless you're really tall, it won't be an issue at all to get in and out. Especially if you're camping on your own or with only someone else. The Mini, despite not being the largest tent, is quite spacious. All roof top tents in general I'd say are spacious enough, and stable enough. Just make sure you have a nice rack to put on top of the Smartcap. I believe Front Runner makes one, or there are other Jeep Gladiator roof racks you can look at.

Reactions: rgallant

OVRLNDCBR

Rank V

Advocate I

Canberra ACT, Australia
First Name
Jarrad
Last Name
Horne
Member #

Hi mate, I have the iKamper mini on a bed rack on my Ford Ranger (PX2) and in short I cant see a problem (also I cant fault it for quality and ease of use). I have used it from around the -10C through to Australian summer on the beach at closer to 40C. The only recommendation I would suggest is to purchase a small fan for circulation in the tent. Even though there is a sunroof, its not always possible to leave open w/ rain etc. I connect my fan to the Goal Zero Yeti 200 which sits in the corner and runs the iPad i suspend from the roof to watch movies and charge the phone overnight. Space wise in the tent - way more than enough for me and my wife with few pillows, quilts, a bag, laptops etc.
The top of my RTT sits even with the roof line to keep the line of the truck nice and clean however it also provides the benefit of not needing to climb all the way up to roof height to get into the tent. Several ways to attack this topic depending on what you prefer and what setup you overall are going for (both practical and cosmetic). Hopefully the attached pic demonstrates what Im talking about w/ the height.
Cheers.F40170E0-5313-4D2F-9A7B-8F1FEB892891.JPG

Last edited:

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I'll turn 70 this yr. and I tried an RTT for the first time just this past weekend. I didn't plan to get one but couldn't pass up a good deal. I mounted it on top of my trailer so it's only at "half height".

I was pleasantly surprised. I had no issues with getting in or out or with changing clothes. I had a very comfortable sleep for 2 nights.

22-05-13 2.jpg

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I'll turn 70 this yr. and I tried an RTT for the first time just this past weekend.
I was pleasantly surprised. I had no issues with getting in or out or with changing clothes. I had a very comfortable sleep for 2 nights.
ok...thats pretty badass!
im 55 and i would have issue with an RTT.
when i hear of people older than me doing so well, i'm inspired that i'll be doing that well when i hit that age.
then reality sets in and i realize that i should have taken better care of myself! :astonished: