Lazynorse

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tacoma, WA, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Olsen
You can buy the exact same Flame King 5 pound propane tank for $55 from Costco and a propane hose for $20 and have the essentials for $75. Normal price of the Ignik offering, which comes with a hose and a carry case is $150, so twice the cost (but you get a pretty nice case..which sells for $60 on its own).

I really wanted that Ignik case as I'll be storing this in the back of a 5' Ford Ranger bed. The case will prevent scapes and dings from the metal and provide more tie down points.

REI 20% coupon to the rescue! Now, I feel I could pull the trigger on the Ignik package and not feel like a giant D bag.

The carry case is indeed nice. Thick, tough rubber/vinyl top and bottom cap. The body is a rugged canvas with multiple tie down loops sewn in. There's a carry handle that swings out of the way to open the case. The case is opened by a very beefy zipper. Inside is a rebranded Flame King 5 pound propane tank, albeit with a rubber stripping along the 'sharp' edges top and bottom. You get a 4' hose compatible at one end with nearly all common camp stoves. I really wish for a 6' hose, though.

I'd gotten sick of individual 1 pound green bottles, especially when the price shot up in recent years. Do not be surprised to find them for $5 a piece. I hated throwing them away, there's no easy way to recycle them. I began refilling them with a pretty cheap kit off Amazon, where you freeze the green bottle and feed it from a regular 20 pound propane tank. This worked reliably, but you couldn't fill up the 1 pound bottle all the way, maybe 70%. Still, many times cheaper than buying new 1 pound bottles.

A single 5 pound tank, like the Ignik, replaces 5 green 1 pound bottles, which might cost you $25 for those 5 bottles. Filling up the 5 pound tank will cost less than $2. Rather than keeping 5 green bottles rolling around, with the weight of all that metal, you store the tidy 5 pound Ignik.

You can also clear your table of green fuel bottles next to your stove! Keep the 5 pound bottle in your truck, run the hose to the camp stove. Still need the stem that your stove came with for green bottle use, btw. Don't get rid of that.

If you're out for a week+, eating hot breakfast and dinner everyday, you'll go through just a couple dollars of propane. With green bottles, multiply that by up to $5 per.

If I'm going out for a single night (not often), I might just refill and green 1 pounder. Anything else, I'm glad I pulled the trigger on the 5 pounder.

If you're a member and thinking on what full price item to use your 20% coupon on, I've used them for expensive backpacking tents, 800+ down bags, sleep pads.. the really expensive backpacking or camping stuff. This time around, the Ignik and all its expensive marketing was the target.

Reactions: OTH Overland

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We bought ours from REI last year along with the Ignik ammo can fire box (which was a returned item for under $100). I was also not happy with the short hose, especially with the fire box, so purchased an adapter turning the short one that came with the tank into about a 10 footer when combined with the one from the fire can. Love the tank cover as it prevents condensation on cold days, and keeps the tank in good condition and from rattling around, was worth the extra few bucks

Reactions: Lazynorse